1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Replacing Batteries--Would like opinions AND experience.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 12:36 AM
fusefinder
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Batteries--Would like opinions AND experience.

It’s time to replace the batteries in my 2003 7.3l Diesel. I'm kicking around a few options (good, bad, and ugly).

Option 1 Very cheap: Rural King Exide battery 65-72 850CCA $70 Very limited Waranty
Option 2 Cheap: Menards Exide Nascar Extr. 65-E108 750CCA $94 (+11% rebate) 40 month Free Replacement
Option 3 Middle road: Sam's club Duracell 875CCA $104 3 year Free Replacement
Option 4 Middle road: Walmart Everstart Max 850CCA $119 3 year Free Replacement (Stores are everywhere)
Option 5 Higher End: Interstate MTP-65 850CCA $135+/- 30 month Free Replacement (Dealers available most cities)
Option 6 Higher End: Ford MotorCraft BXT-65-850 850CCA $129 3 Year Free Replacement (Dealers available most cities)

Leaning toward later 3 for availability and reputation.
Please chime in, I would like opinions AND experience

Old 11-09-2014, 12:40 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
A very recent thread for ya. Just a little reading to go along with the responses I'm sure to come from others: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post9311106

Stewart

Old 11-09-2014, 01:05 AM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
"Red Top Optima" for me, got 6.5 years out of my old one. Never seems to corrode the terminals like a lead acid battery either.

But if I had to pick off of your list I would go with the Interstate or Motorcraft.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:15 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have Kirkland/Costco batteries, 850cca, and last time I checked, they're cheaper than your #2 option. ($78.00 ea). Mine are over 5 years old and still load testing strong. Hard to beat price, warranty, and quality. SpringerPop explains it well in the thread Stewart posted a link to above.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:44 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I do Costco for every battery I buy. I had a couple of duds over the years, but Costco made it right with zero hassle. They keep better track of my purchases than I do, so there's no question about where, when, and if I bought it from them.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:35 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,168 Posts
another costco customer here. everything i own has costco batteries in it. and over the past 10 years, i have only had one go bad, and that was replaced for free.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:07 AM
TransBrain
Junior User
Motorcraft period...never a comeback.

Wife's Ex got 8 years mine got 9 years on originals.

Have replaced at least 1,000 probably more. many of those were some crappy aftermarket brand you see recommended all of the time. And didn't appear to be very old.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If it's a Johnson Control's battery in the same lineup as the Motorcraft, then that's the battery to go with on these trucks.

Only once did I stray, and that was when the original Motorcrafts finally died. Tried the Sam's Club Duracells. Worst purchase I ever made.

Since then I've used the Autozone Duralast's, but I never realized the Costco one's were the same. For that price, I'm going Costco from now on.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:48 AM
fusefinder
Freshman User
I have read that thread and a few other good ones, some of those are a few years old though. Looking to see what currently seems to be favorite. I have tried many brand in the past for mowers, trailers, small cars, and other projects. As I understand these trucks have a high current draw need a large reserve available. This is why I'm seeking opinions and experience for Diesel, I have very little with them.

The closest Costco is slated to open 11/14/2014 so I may look there, the web site does not list automotive batteries though. so I cant get pricing, brands or availability. is current pricing $78?
Yes I am interested in looking at them kinda sucks to have to buy a membership to do so, (local store has stated they will not do temporary free memberships like our local Sam's did when they opened in a new market)

I have a little experience with Odyssey AGM batteries. Personally do not see the performance or payback in AGM batteries. Granted there are other type and brands out there, but those have spoiled the milk for me on AGM.

I currently have NAPA Legend 75 3rys old and will not hold a charge over a week (I have repeatedly performed a battery drain test as outlined in the manual with a jumper wire for 45 min then a inline Milliamp meter, always less than 20ma).

I have heard a few on here, and other forums, state that the Motorcraft only lasted a few years same as many I have read about. I personally have never used them, would like to know if they are true original equipment quality. OE always seem to do better than aftermarket.

I have had good experience with Wal-Mart batteries in the past, but it was mowers, trailers, cars and replacing 6v power wheel batteries with 12v tractor batteries (the Barbie corvette rocked like never before!)

I have used Sears Die Hard and not had any issues until one cold snowy December, a Store employee told me he didn't have time to look up warranty information or availability. That wasn't the battery but still soured the milk never went back.

Started using Interstate for the Cars after that, price comparative, and no issues yet.

I also understand human nature. That is when something great you go on about your life, maybe recommend to a friend. When something is bad you tell the world!

Thanks for all the input, keep it coming!

Old 11-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
If it's a Johnson Control's battery in the same lineup as the Motorcraft, then that's the battery to go with on these trucks.

Only once did I stray, and that was when the original Motorcrafts finally died. Tried the Sam's Club Duracells. Worst purchase I ever made.

Since then I've used the Autozone Duralast's, but I never realized the Costco one's were the same. For that price, I'm going Costco from now on.
Just because JCI makes it, doesn't mean it's any good. I've been through 4 or 5 sets of JCI made, Bosch branded batteries, all between 12 and 24 months old when they failed. The specs are far more important than the manufacturer as far as I'm concerned. My latest set of replacements was in march; I'll be thrilled if they make it through the winter. If they don't, they're going to the scrap yard, and a good set of group 4Ds or 8Ds are getting mounted somewhere under the truck.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:08 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I just posted at the end of that other thread to update my experiences.

Pop

Old 11-09-2014, 10:25 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another vote for Costco...

Old 11-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Pikachu
Just because JCI makes it, doesn't mean it's any good. I've been through 4 or 5 sets of JCI made, Bosch branded batteries, all between 12 and 24 months old when they failed. The specs are far more important than the manufacturer as far as I'm concerned. My latest set of replacements was in march; I'll be thrilled if they make it through the winter. If they don't, they're going to the scrap yard, and a good set of group 4Ds or 8Ds are getting mounted somewhere under the truck.
Is there a difference in the quality of batteries made by Johnson Control (JCI) or do they just make one level of quality? If so what should one look for when comparing them, weight? They also make (used to make anyhow) Sears DieHard. I have had good luck with both Interstate and DieHard label batteries. Being a Costco member now I will certainly go that route for all my batteries from now on.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:40 AM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
From what I have read virtually all battery manufacturers make several different "grades" of batteries. Johnson Controls tend to rate among the best but you still need to pay attention to the specs as mentioned. They make some of the Costco "brands" but not all. There are sites on the web that list manufacturers and the labels that they market under. More than enough to confuse most anyone.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Cracker 73
Senior User
I would have to say Walmart. They are 24/7 and everywhere. I have used for a long time in all our trucks and cars never had an issue with returns I have always made a copy or receipt put in glove box and now I keep pic in Evernote in phone. One good thing about Walmart most of the time the person checking your batts don't have a clue and just tell u to grab a new one .

Quick Reply: Replacing Batteries--Would like opinions AND experience.