Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Costco Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:01 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Costco Batteries

I have been touting Motorcraft batteries here for years. The truck came with a replacement set of Motorcrafts, and were lasting and lasting. Six-plus years so far.

Recently, I've been aware that the reserve capacity of mine was dwindling due to sulphation, so I've been doing some research into replacements. We're off on a road trip to Oregon at the end of the month, and I sure don't need that kind of trouble on the road!

Local stealer wants $119.95 each for the 850CCA's that ours need.

Costco has a Group 65, 850CCA battery for $75.99. Hmmm, think I at least ought give it a look, as the on-line reviews have it top-rated, especially considering their absolute no-hassle three-year money-back guarantee.

Grab a shopping cart and remove my driver's side and take it into the tire shop. Roll over to the battery rack and pull down one of their finest #4's to do a comparison. Looks pretty close! I can always just go re-install mine if it's not the same.

Hauled it over to the counter to take a closer look. The guy says, "Johnson Controls". Set them side-by-side on the counter and both of us look REAL carefully. Plastic parts are all from the same mold. Period! They are identical! Even the subtle parting lines on the carrying straps. Even faint, hardly noticeable stuff is identical. Though we didn't have a scale, they felt like they weighed the same, too.

The only part that is different is the sticker! Though in the same place, it shows different brand names.

I am now convinced that they ARE identical, capacity-wise as well, so I bought one and took it out to install it.

The guys in the store allowed me to use my DVM on their selection to find two that were exactly matched, and I repeated the entire exercise a few minutes later for the other side.

Bottom line is: Costco saved me about $90 today, and I'm FIRMLY convinced that I have exactly the same batteries I would have gotten at Ford.

I'm open to a critique on this, but you better come armed with more than hearsay. Like you better personally work at the Johnson Controls factory where both these batteries are made, and you probably ought to have photos of the differences. Knowing Costco's reputation of not cutting any corners on their house-branded stuff, I suspect they don't allow any less lead to be used in the ones vended to them.

Discussion?

Pop

Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pretty hard to shoot holes in that Pop, thanks for the heads up..... I know where I'll be getting my next batteries.

tried to rep ya but ya know...........

Old 09-09-2010, 06:20 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been doting on them for years, wouldn't buy anything else. Read posts #50 and #51........

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...perduty-2.html

Old 09-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Nick 99
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Pop,
Having been in the Backup Power field for thirty eight years for the wolds largest Telecom company before my retirement, I know that there are only about four major manufacturers of lead acid start batteries in the entire world. You are correct in your logic!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:28 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by WA.Ranger
I've been doting on them for years, wouldn't buy anything else. Read posts #50 and #51........

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...perduty-2.html
Saayyy, that's from December, 2005, and Post #51 was MINE, where I talk about where I buy my batteries.

I guess old habits die hard....

(Yes, that was an intentional battery pun.)

Pop

Old 09-09-2010, 06:39 PM
sledhead999
Elder User
Good to hear!

I hear Optima's were bought out by Johnson Controls too. Our local O'Reilly auto "claims" their Superstart, Wally World's Everstart, and Autozone's Duralast are all made by the same people just labeled differently.

No local Costco here though

Old 09-09-2010, 06:48 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Excellent find and write up Pop. Many people do not realize that a lot of our day to day commodities are manufactured by the same plant only the label is different

Old 09-09-2010, 07:01 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got 'em. One heck of a deal at $150 for a pair of 850cca batteries with a 3 year full replacement warranty.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:02 PM
sledhead999
Elder User
On a side note I'm having trouble with my red top Optima's(1000CA/850 CCA). They are about 1.5 years old. If the truck sits for a week straight it won't start. If I throw my charger on it, by the next morning their sitting at about 50% but still @ about 12v(40~45% if still connected to the truck). I can't tell if I have a draw on my system somewhere or if the batteries are just losing their capacity. After they are 100% charged and you reconnect, charger says 85%.

I thought it might be my stereo, isolated it, doesn't seem to be it.

The only other thing I can think might be a draw is my trailer brake actuator, even though nothings connected.

Any idea's?

Sorry for the hijack...

Old 09-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although I'm not having any problems with mine, that's sure good info to know. I don't know where the nearest Costco is, but prolly wouldn't be hard to find.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:15 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Just to stir the pot a bit

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I'm open to a critique on this, but you better come armed with more than hearsay.

Costco has a Group 65, 850CCA battery for $75.99. ....... as the on-line reviews have it top-rated.....

........ Looks pretty close!........

....... and both of us look REAL carefully........

........ Though we didn't have a scale, they felt like they weighed the same, too.........

Sorry, but my twisted mind found this funny. No offense intended.

The only thing I can add to the battery conversation with personal knowledge is that cheap alternators will kill batteries quicker than they will wear out by themselves. Autozone's warrranty on batteries is MUCH, MUCH easier to deal with than NAPA's warranty (at least where I live).

Old 09-09-2010, 07:27 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Nick 99
Pop,
Having been in the Backup Power field for thirty eight years for the wolds largest Telecom company before my retirement, I know that there are only about four major manufacturers of lead acid start batteries in the entire world. You are correct in your logic!
Just pulled this from:
Consumer Reports Article - MSN Autos

"Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts."

I went back and read that last line twice.

Soooooooo...........

Pop

Old 09-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by WA.Ranger
I've been doting on them for years, wouldn't buy anything else.
Same here, Jeff.

January of '05 I purchased two replacement batteries for my wife's Excursion from Orchard Supply Hardware. Die Hard Gold tops. Since that time, all I've ever bought was Costco batteries.

I've had to use their free three year replacement several times, when my daughters alternator in her Escape took a dump (twice), once for my F150, and once for my Lightning.

My son just bought one for his Mustang too, after we replaced his alternator, which took a dump.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 08-09-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
. Though we didn't have a scale, they felt like they weighed the same, too.

Pop
It would be interesting to know if batteries from different store weighed the same or not. 1/2 to 1lb would be hard to feel

You got a good run on the Motorcrafts,don't think I have ever got more than 3 years from the ones I've had in the last 30 years ( could have something to do with the climate )
Think my truck is on it's 8th set of batteries now from 2 different stores.Most lasting from 5 1/2 months to 54 weeks
The closest Costco to me is about 80 miles

Old 09-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very interesting info.

Especially the part about the MFRs.

I have been running Optima Red Tops (same pair) for about 5 years now without issue, but wondering just how good they are. I have put my Xtreme charger on them and they ramp up, but it doesn't last.

Time to renew the Costco membership....

Quick Reply: Costco Batteries