Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Costco Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just one standard Xtreme. XD100 model number I think.

It works and makes me happy, so me not care.

How are the 2.9 head gaskets holding up?

Old 09-09-2010, 11:10 PM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have bought numerous Costco batteries over the years, and have yet to have a problem with one. The greatest test was the pair I put on a Lincoln DC-225 welder (24V) that spent it's whole life outside in the rain and cold.

A comment on the fact that there are only a few manufacturers of batteries: Although the cases and other external parts may be identical, the quality of the "innards" varies depending on the specifications ordered by the customer. Thus, a battery that looks identical to a premium model may have plates and/or dividers of inferior quality or design in order to meet the price point of the customer.

The comment above does not mean that I think the Costco batteries are inferior to the Motorcraft batteries. Costco in my experience is in the "premium" category. I believe that the reason that they are inexpensive (not "cheap") is that Costco keeps their overhead low by concentrating on fast-selling items. You don't go into Costco looking for an unusual or low-production item. They don't have to make up for slow-selling inventory by marking up the fast-moving items.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:22 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I have been touting Motorcraft batteries here for years. The truck came with a replacement set of Motorcrafts, and were lasting and lasting. Six-plus years so far.

Recently, I've been aware that the reserve capacity of mine was dwindling due to sulphation, so I've been doing some research into replacements. We're off on a road trip to Oregon at the end of the month, and I sure don't need that kind of trouble on the road!

Local stealer wants $119.95 each for the 850CCA's that ours need.

Costco has a Group 65, 850CCA battery for $75.99. Hmmm, think I at least ought give it a look, as the on-line reviews have it top-rated, especially considering their absolute no-hassle three-year money-back guarantee.

Grab a shopping cart and remove my driver's side and take it into the tire shop. Roll over to the battery rack and pull down one of their finest #4's to do a comparison. Looks pretty close! I can always just go re-install mine if it's not the same.

Hauled it over to the counter to take a closer look. The guy says, "Johnson Controls". Set them side-by-side on the counter and both of us look REAL carefully. Plastic parts are all from the same mold. Period! They are identical! Even the subtle parting lines on the carrying straps. Even faint, hardly noticeable stuff is identical. Though we didn't have a scale, they felt like they weighed the same, too.

The only part that is different is the sticker! Though in the same place, it shows different brand names.

I am now convinced that they ARE identical, capacity-wise as well, so I bought one and took it out to install it.

The guys in the store allowed me to use my DVM on their selection to find two that were exactly matched, and I repeated the entire exercise a few minutes later for the other side.

Bottom line is: Costco saved me about $90 today, and I'm FIRMLY convinced that I have exactly the same batteries I would have gotten at Ford.

I'm open to a critique on this, but you better come armed with more than hearsay. Like you better personally work at the Johnson Controls factory where both these batteries are made, and you probably ought to have photos of the differences. Knowing Costco's reputation of not cutting any corners on their house-branded stuff, I suspect they don't allow any less lead to be used in the ones vended to them.

Discussion?

Pop
Pop, I give up! What does DVM stand for? V/r Les

Old 09-09-2010, 11:26 PM
sledhead999
Elder User
Originally Posted by Stangrcr1
Just one standard Xtreme. XD100 model number I think.

It works and makes me happy, so me not care.

How are the 2.9 head gaskets holding up?

Havn't had problems with head gaskets...done the valve covers twice though. Its my commuter and gets 24mpg other than a slave cylinder leak...POS...its a great run around rig. Truck relaxes in the garage til its time to pull the sleds out.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sledhead999
Havn't had problems with head gaskets...done the valve covers twice though. Its my commuter and gets 24mpg other than a slave cylinder leak...POS...its a great run around rig. Truck relaxes in the garage til its time to pull the sleds out.
Take good care of it. 90% of those 2.9s have already blown their heads and are now recycled scrap.

DVM = Digital Volt Meter, Which is actually a generic term for all the digital electronic test meters out now. They measure voltsAC/voltsDC/amps/milliAmps/ohms/current/diode check. At least that is what my Fluke 87III DVM does. And more.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:46 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by USAF CCM
Pop, I give up! What does DVM stand for? V/r Les
Digital Volt Meter.

Sorry 'bout that. I try to avoid acronyms, but didn't think....

Pop

Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

I have nothing but praise for Costco batteries also. When I worked there, they had a 7 year pro-rated replacement policy, a 2 year 100% replacement... Sure, we had to change out some batteries that failed way early, but that happens with everything.

High quality batteries for cheap.

I've been lucky with my Motorcraft so far, it's original to the truck, been in there 9 years now.

But you're right, Johnson Controls makes the batteries, and the whole selling feature (and the spiel we used) was they were made in the same factory that made Interstate, Die Hard and Motorcraft. Cheaper with a better warranty. Why not? My next battery will probably be from Costco...

Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rbaker6336
The batteries never boil even after 16 to 18 hrs running (with either alternator) and have never lased long enough to need water added.I'm pretty sure it's the crappy wally batteries one set was from oreally
If it was just one vehicle i would think different but all three do about the same and it's always one battery that goes bad
The set in my truck now are almost 2 yrs old but it's average milage is less than 200 a month,so I may get 2+ years out of these

The good is I've only had to buy 2 sets if batteries in almost 10 years
Hmmm....I have had the Wally batteries in my truck for about 5 years now with no problems. They are starting to show their age in the cranking area but that could also be because of that capacitor for my stereo that likes to yank them down and the fact that my truck sees less than 100 miles per month on average.

It can go a week or two at a time without starting at times depending on what I have going on. I have recently begun to trickle charge them from time to time and the batteries seem to like that. At any rate, I am seemingly never farther than about 50 miles from a Wally if replacement is required. Just my two cents on this.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:18 AM
sledhead999
Elder User
I couldn't find any auto batteries on Costco's website...

Old 09-10-2010, 12:35 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

You find them in the tire shop of those outlets that have tires, and inside the store of those that don't.

I doubt they want to ship anything that heavy, full of acid. Probably a hazardous shipment, at a premium cost.

Thus, not on the web.

Pop

Old 09-10-2010, 12:49 AM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
i have a orbital for 11 years and working just fine its gel cell battery i've had it in my stock car. works great. its in my shadow now. well worth the money. erin bought one for her rig flawless.. their raited at 700cca but they put out about 900cca good batteries
thats what i have in my rigs.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
You find them in the tire shop of those outlets that have tires, and inside the store of those that don't.
You shouldn't be able to find them inside any of the stores anymore. Due to their hazardous materials classification, my local store told me all the Costco stores were ordered to move them to the tire shop, where the necessary haz-mat cleanup and response tools were available.

It's the same reason Orchard Supply Hardware doesn't sell them anymore. I guess they didn't wanna spend the money to conform to the regulatons for storage of used batteries, or invest in the cleanup equipment and tools that were required to be on hand.

Stewart

Old 09-10-2010, 06:53 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe my Optima needs the hard charge. It's at about 1.2V right now. The charger I have has a switch on it for a pulsating deep cycle charge and a constant regular battery charge. I've never heard of the Extreme charger, but it sounds like it works well. I bought a ****ty Autozone battery to replace my Optima. Zero discharging issues since. I will say the Autozone batteries in my '86 IDI tend to weep if they get hot. I believe the lead acids in my PSD do the same. Meh.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:40 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Due to their hazardous materials classification, my local store told me all the Costco stores were ordered to move them to the tire shop, where the necessary haz-mat cleanup and response tools were available. Stewart
I didn't know that, but it sure makes sense, given today's regulatory climate.

Pop

Old 09-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Bowie
Elder User
So I have 2 Costco batteries in my truck and in in my wifes tahoe, and a blue top optima in my Jeep.

My wifes 5 year old costco battery just up and died all of a sudden. Costco gave me back 15 bucks or something on the warranty and I just bought a new one. I cant complain about costco stuff I love the warranty. It was weird how the battery just all of a sudden died though.
I have had problems with optima in the past, I had a red one in my jeep that lasted only 2 years. I was not driving the jeep all the time and that is probably why it went bad early on me.

Good to know about the costco batteries though.

I have a question though. Why cant we buy no maintenance batteries , like the ones that come from the factory. It seems like you always have to buy the ones where you add water. Is there any difference between maintenance and maintenace free batteries?

Quick Reply: Costco Batteries