6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

beware doing the fuel filter change

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:04 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I get my filters from diesel filters online. Way cheaper than the local dealer.

Oil filters (Motorcraft) I get from walmart.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:56 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Scott, thanks for the tip on the filter source

Old 10-23-2014, 07:36 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was hoping to use Baldwin. I use Baldwins on all my heavy equipment, boat, etc... I think they're a great filter.

After reading this thread I'm not so sure that's a good idea for warranty purposes.

Anyone have any experience with warranty and using an as good or superior filter than Motorcraft?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rivrrts429
I was hoping to use Baldwin. I use Baldwins on all my heavy equipment, boat, etc... I think they're a great filter.

After reading this thread I'm not so sure that's a good idea for warranty purposes.

Anyone have any experience with warranty and using an as good or superior filter than Motorcraft?
If you are using something other than Ford and an issue arises, you better bet they are going to use it against you. Sure the blah blah law states that the part must be pinpointed to the failure, but they will not care, and you will have to pay massive attorney fees, experts etc to clear yourself. All because you wanted to use a Baldwin. Get my drift?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:10 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
When I did my own changes, I used diesel filters online as well to order the Ford filters. Pricing was nice.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,568 Likes on 1,426 Posts
Scott, Thanks for the pro tip on the filter source.

I have another question. Sense I don't use my truck everyday and mainly use it for my camper, so I don't put a lot of miles on it. Is it better to change the fuel filters a little often or not.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:59 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sgt93
If you are using something other than Ford and an issue arises, you better bet they are going to use it against you. Sure the blah blah law states that the part must be pinpointed to the failure, but they will not care, and you will have to pay massive attorney fees, experts etc to clear yourself. All because you wanted to use a Baldwin. Get my drift?
Motorcraft it is then. Thanks Sgt93

Old 10-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Motorcraft it is then. Thanks Sgt93
No problem.

Tim, I think no matter what, make sure you take her out for a decent drive every now and then and you should be fine with normal intervals. Letting any vehicle sit without use is not a good thing. Take her out, cycle through 4x4 etc, and keep everything lubed. I would change my oil once a year even if I never hit the change light.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:28 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by antwan181
Just giving everybody a heads up! The piece costs me about $25... well worth buying 2.
Now - go back to the dealer and buy a new drain plug and the water in fuel sensor.

Next time you change filters it will be super quick using your "complete spare" and then clean out the used one later.

I carry the spare housing and filter set with needed tools in the truck since we travel a lot. The filter and spare housing are in a separate tool box with some 1 gallon freezer zip-locs, plastic coffee cans and latex gloves.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:35 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt93

Keep in mind, Ford or Motorcraft do not make filters.

I use the Motorcraft because DieselFIltersOnline sells them cheaper then any other brand. I usually order every two years with enough quantity of fuel oil and air filters along with Motorcraft fuel additive to get the free shipping.

Any name brand filter is good. I did almost 20 years as a Class A line tech for several Chrysler dealers. Oil filter brands were never an issue for warranty.

Ford cannot specify you use Motorcraft branded filters and oil. If they did they would have to supply it.

Now, why buy another brand if you can get the factory labeled stuff for the same or cheaper price?

How many here use only Mototrcraft oil?

And if your answer is you do use Motorcraft oil because you only get oil changes done at the dealer - are you sure you are still getting Motorcraft?

"Every" dealer I worked at had bulk oil tanks, and there sure weren't any "MOPAR" or "Motorcraft" tankers delivering oil.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Duane, I hear you, and I know you understand what I was getting at. don't give them a reason.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:57 PM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by porthole
Keep in mind, Ford or Motorcraft do not make filters. I use the Motorcraft because DieselFIltersOnline sells them cheaper then any other brand. I usually order every two years with enough quantity of fuel oil and air filters along with Motorcraft fuel additive to get the free shipping. Any name brand filter is good. I did almost 20 years as a Class A line tech for several Chrysler dealers. Oil filter brands were never an issue for warranty. Ford cannot specify you use Motorcraft branded filters and oil. If they did they would have to supply it. Now, why buy another brand if you can get the factory labeled stuff for the same or cheaper price? How many here use only Mototrcraft oil? And if your answer is you do use Motorcraft oil because you only get oil changes done at the dealer - are you sure you are still getting Motorcraft? "Every" dealer I worked at had bulk oil tanks, and there sure weren't any "MOPAR" or "Motorcraft" tankers delivering oil.

I understood what Sgt was saying but I asked because of the very reasons you stated above.

If I could get Ford to put in writing that it was okay for me to use Brad Penn oil and Baldwin Filters, that's what I would be running.

I think oils are a huge difference maker in these vehicles.

I'm very sorry to the OP for the thread jack. Oils & Filters could be a long thread themselves.

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:01 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I buy my mc fuel and oil filters online at advance auto with coupons far cheaper than any place online. I usually buy more than one at a time to maximize the coupon.

Plus I can pick up the same day as well. Just takes a quick coupon search.