6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FICM time: To tune or not to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 07:35 PM
2003 EXCURSION
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FICM time: To tune or not to tune?

I have read a number or threads on this, and remarkably, am still unsure what I want to do.

I have a bone stock late 2002 build 6.0, which runs great, and has never had head gaskets (let alone ARP studs of course) done on it. It currently has about 116,000 miles on it. I have a Dash Boss and have been watching my FICM volts drop, and they are now roughly 45 volts prior to being warmed up. Time to send it to Ed! I also will be addressing my tired alternator at the same time, but that is a whole nother research project and possible thread. In terms of flashes, I am one behind, so, if I undersand it correctly, I have the flash which tends to fry FICMs. I haven't had any problems with this thus far, but I live in southern California where it doesn't ever really get that cold. I understand that the flash that I have is more likely to fry the FICM in cold weather. Well... in coming months I will be moving to a cold weather state, so this perhaps is now a concern. I also understand, IIRC, that the next flash, if I were to go to the dealer will result in less gas milage, less power, and perhaps turbo lag. OH JOY, LETS ALL GET THAT ONE . So, my options would seem to be to (when I send it to ed): (1) Keep my flash as is and also do not have Ed add a tune to the FICM (2) Get the Atlas 40 tune. (3)Get the Econo tune. (4) have Ford update me to the last flash, and yearn for the good ol' days.

In all honesty, I have been hovering around here long enough to remember a few years ago when many would echo the words "you play, you pay". I know that that really applied to the warranty, but I also seem to remember in those ealrier days of tuning these that a lot of people caused themselves problems with re-tuning their 6.0's. I am also nervous because I have seen so many, on here and in other places, because of some tune, or for no apparent reason... blow your head gaskets. I cannot afford, and do not want to sacrifice any reliability with whatever I do here, and especially right now cannot afford to take any chances with my head gaskets.

I do not tow at this point, but may at some point in the future. I need good reliability and performance for long road trips, but drive it on short runs around town as well.

I would appreciate any words of wisdom and experience some of you could pass on to me.

Thanks!

Mike

P.S.: As I said, I have read a number of threads on this, and have no doubt in my mind of the performance advantages of having Ed tune it, particularly with the Atlas 40 tune.

Last edited by 2003 EXCURSION; 10-19-2014 at 07:41 PM. Reason: One more thought:
Old 10-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I didn't have any MPG gain with the Atlas 40 but it's definitely more responsive. You won't be disappointed!

Old 10-19-2014, 08:10 PM
2003 EXCURSION
Tuned
Yes, and thank you for responding, but how many have caused engine damage by running this tune, or have caused engine damage by having this tune a running it a bit too hard.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have not heard of anyone having head gaskets blow due to tune the FICM!

Now if you toss an aggressive tune and drive the truck like you stole it then yes you will probably blow the head gaskets.

Knock on the end table next to me, I have the Atlas 40 on my FICM and run the SRL tune and drive my truck hard on a stock engine that has not been molested in 189k miles. Only person to be in it that I can see is me! I am the 3rd owner.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:11 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
If you're bone stock you should notice some difference with either the Econo or Atlas 40.

If running tunes I would stay with a stock Ford FICM flash as the Atlas 40 gets buried under the tune I do not notice it even being there with a custom PCM tune.

Josh

Old 10-19-2014, 09:19 PM
2003 EXCURSION
Tuned
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
If you're bone stock you should notice some difference with either the Econo or Atlas 40.

If running tunes I would stay with a stock Ford FICM flash as the Atlas 40 gets buried under the tune I do not notice it even being there with a custom PCM tune.

Josh
No Josh, that's just the thing, I have never done ANYTHING to retune this in any way, and have always been afraid to. Either tune sounds like an improvement, especially the Atlas 40 for performance, but I have real cold feet when it comes to doing this. Am I the only one who kind of approaches "re-tuning' with such extreme caution?

Old 10-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by 2003 EXCURSION
No Josh, that's just the thing, I have never done ANYTHING to retune this in any way, and have always been afraid to. Either tune sounds like an improvement, especially the Atlas 40 for performance, but I have real cold feet when it comes to doing this. Am I the only one who kind of approaches "re-tuning' with such extreme caution?
Yeah kind of.

The 6.0 is more than stout enough for the daily grind. It's even easier with digital gauges to keep an eye on temps and boost.

And those two are the killers of head gaskets. Too much boost or high engine temps (ECT and EOT)

Back in the day head gaskets were blamed for a lot of things when in reality it was the oil cooler taking out the EGR cooler which led to the HG's letting go.

I have the Atlas 40 and it spools a little quicker stock, not noticeably more than usual though. No MPG gains of any kind versus stock or tuned. The main benefit I achieved with the Atlas 40 was the mild induction heating for cold starts. Beyond that I wouldn't even know I had the Atlas 40.

Scratch that, the Atlas 40 does smoke considerably more than stock.

Overall it sounds like you want the Econo Tune... a little more kick and a nice injector strategy.

Josh

Old 10-19-2014, 11:21 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2003 EXCURSION
I've never tuned mine. I'm not really afraid to tune it, I just really don't have a reason to. However, I'm also looking into the possibility of a FICM tune.

Last summer, only while pulling my toyhauler, I saw my FICM Voltage drop to 46v, my logic side was also dipping slightly as well. I will be interested to see the responses here.
Have you gave Ed a call just to chat about it? Might be a good place to start.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:47 PM
Bullitt390

I wanted to add that when having your FICM rebuilt by Ed he will load any Ford flash, IIRC for no extra charge.

It's the PHP FICM tunes that cost the additional $150.

Josh

Old 10-20-2014, 12:01 AM
2003 EXCURSION
Tuned
Josh - Thanks for taking time to respond, I appreciate your input and it puts me a bit more at ease with doing it. I've read many of your posts, and I appreciate your input a lot. BTW: How much boost is too much boost??

Justin: Thank you also, it's nice to know that I am not completely alone here (in not tuning it) even if my fear of tuning may be unfounded.
I did talk to Ed quite extensively on Friday (IIRC), and he is a fountain of information. Unfortunately, and despite it being a very lengthy phone call, we didn't really get into the tune thing that deep. Ed is a really nice guy and a seemingly endless fountain of great information and mostly we discussed Alternators, which also currently has my head spinning a bit. Honestly, I could have stretched our phone call to 3 or 4 hours, but we both had to get back to 'paying' work.

Mike

Old 10-20-2014, 12:02 AM
Bullitt390

28 psi max, 25 psi is a nice upper limit.

Josh

Old 10-21-2014, 07:55 AM
FordFamily6
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had an unmolested 05 with 83K and completely stock and then I had FICM troubles. I knew I wanted to upgrade the common known 6.0 issues so the FICM was first. I went with the Atlas 40 and a DC power alt. I havent thought twice about it 10k miles later. Like you i had no real reason to "tune" the Ex at that time.

Ed may have explained, if not, its on his website (i think i am correct in saying) the php tune increases duration of the fueling event (open to close of injector) it doesnt increase timing (fueling event at an earlier period) so the FICM php tune doesnt increase compression therefore safe for stock head bolts. The throttle response is better, my fuel mileage recovered and increased some, I added exhaust and couple other things which has helped also. I am confident I I made a good decision that will improve the longevity of my vehicle and make it more pleasurable for me to drive.