6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

My 03 Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My 03 Nightmare

So I have a feeling this truck really hates me...

Heres the story, early build 03 with roughly 66k on the clock. Came into the shop with a no start and the fuel pump making a horrendous noise, so I check the upper fuel bowl and it fills extremely slow...simple needs a pump.

I install the new FORD pump, fresh filters, bleed the system, fires right up. Took it for a test drive, truck runs like a scolded cat, I figure nice. I call the customer tell him to come and get it, I go to pull the truck up front and she no start. The truck cranks over strong, has good ICP, IPR looks good at 45%, glow plugs are working, and the fuel bowl is filling fast. So I check it for codes now I have a P2614 CMP CKT Open/Shorted...AWESOME.

Looks like the truck has had a rodent in there at some point, I found a few chewed wires at the passenger side fender. Guess I need to dig deeper and see what else is going on with this truck.

Sarge

Old 10-14-2014, 02:17 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
RATS! (Literally)

Old 10-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Yup. I know the proper repair is to replace the entire harness but Im going to try just the pig tail, for 50 bucks its worth a shot.

Sarge

Old 10-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
New connector installed truck fired right up. I'll test drive it tomorrow and fingers crossed this thing will be outta my hair...what little I have left

Sarge

Old 10-14-2014, 08:15 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
and take that Plagued rat with them

Old 10-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
Did the pigtail come from Ford? Did it have any extra shielding on it to cover the spliced area?

Old 10-15-2014, 03:54 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Rusty knows the type of splice kit I would be using if it were me.

Now on the chewing part I hear that red pepper extract works really well
in getting then to go over to the Chevy shop and chew there.

EDIT : Found it >>> Stop The Rodent

Then there is this stuff
Hot pepper spray repels pests off fruit trees so you can enjoy your harvest.
Fruit trees are irresistible to many mammals and pests that enjoy the bark, leaves and fruits. Some pests can remove all small tender fruits overnight and leave you without a harvest. Other pests can chew enough bark off young trees to allow diseases and pests into the trunks that can kill a tree. You can make a homemade liquid hot pepper spray for a very nominal price to rid yourself of these unwanted pests. Hot pepper sprays are a humane way to treat these types of pests, as it is a repellent and does not kill or harm animals.
How it Works
Peppers contain the naturally occurring substance capsaicin. Mild peppers such as banana and bell peppers have smaller amounts of capsaicin, while chili, cayenne, habanero and Tabasco peppers contain larger amounts of capsaicin and are much hotter. It is these hot peppers that are used to make a spray to protect your fruit trees from pests. When insects and other animals come into contact with the solution, they will be deterred by it and will not eat anything near it with that distinctive smell or taste.
What it Repels
Homemade hot pepper spray repels chewing and eating animals such as raccoons, deer, rabbits, voles and birds. It is also a deterrent to dogs and cats. Some dogs enjoy chewing the lower leaves of young, tender fruit trees. Deer and birds usually eat the small fruits off a tree. Raccoons, rabbits and birds chew fruit tree trunks and cause damage to them. Pepper spray repels small pests -- including spider mites, aphids, lace bugs and leafhoppers -- that thrive on fruit tree leaves and damage them by sucking out the fluids. These insects usually appear on the underside of fruit tree leaves and are very small -- you may need a magnifying glass to find and identify them. It is important to note that hot pepper spray will not kill infestations, but will repel future insects. Use of an insecticide first to kill the insects followed by applications of hot pepper spray is a way to treat fruit trees that are already infested.
No Matches Found. Please try your search again.
Ingredients
There are many recipes for homemade hot pepper spray. Common ingredients are cut peppers, powdered cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce, which contain capsaicin. Other ingredients may include garlic cloves, onions or chili powder, which add a strong scent to the recipe. To make a hot pepper spray, chop one large onion and one jalapeno pepper. Add this to 2 quarts of water and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper into the mixture. Boil the ingredients on the stove top for 20 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool and strain it through cheesecloth into a garden sprayer. You can also choose to use dried ingredients instead of fresh ones. Recipes that contain all powdered ingredients do not need straining. Be sure to wear rubber gloves when handling hot peppers. Capsaicin can cause severe irritation to your skin and eyes.
Application
Make the spray in the spring when leaves first emerge to ward off pests before they strike. Apply hot pepper spray every two to three days to your fruit trees. It is best to spray all areas of the tree including the trunk, branches, fruits and leaves. Make certain to spray the undersides of the leaves thoroughly where insects often reside. Spray the ground around each fruit tree in a 3-foot circle to discourage pests from getting near your fruit trees. Reapply the spray after it rains or after a very heavy dew or fog. Use caution when applying the spray and ensure that the wind doesn't blow it into your face or onto your skin.
References (7)
Resources (3)
About the Author

Mary Lougee is a writer in Texas who writes on a wide variety of subjects from home improvement to pet care. Her love of animals led to building a farm and caring for rescue animals from equine and swine to dogs and cats. She holds a bachelor's degree in management.

Credit goes to >> Homemade Liquid Hot Pepper Spray for Fruit Trees | Home Guides | SF Gate

Sean

Old 10-15-2014, 07:03 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
They live in the country so I don't see the infestation going away...lucky me.

Sarge

Old 10-15-2014, 11:49 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Dang Sean I used the same method on my Grandsons Bull Mastiff, when he started chewing on my boots to this day he wont even look at them, now the lug head goes for the remotes, so I'm going to save one of the chewed up remotes and try this again, come here big doggie chili paste time

Old 10-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Did the pigtail come from Ford? Did it have any extra shielding on it to cover the spliced area?
No it was just a regular Motor Craft connector that matched up to the Cam sensor. Part number WPT359 is the connector I used. It doesn't come with shielding, but I was extremely careful removing the old shielding, soldered the ends, used gold butt connectors, shrink tubing and some Scotch 33+ electrical tape.

Hope that helps,

Sarge