1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Radio installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 06:37 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
Radio installation

So, I finally got around to trying to install the stereo I purchased back in February. I bought the RetroSound radio that "fits in your dash" from LMC. Sure enough, it fit in the hole in the dash. Problem was I didn't see any way to mount it. So I went back to LMC and ordered the "Universal Dash Mounting Kit", which included the control ***** that for some reason did not come with the radio.

The "Universal Dash Mounting Kit" did solve the problem of the radio falling out of the hole, but something just isn't right.

Now I do understand that the plate is supposed to be trimmed to fit. But I don't think any amount of trimming is going to make a flat plate mount against a curved surface.

So what do I do? Do I take a torch and melt the plate to the surface to fit? Do I hammer the dash flat? Do I buy a Chevy? (Yes, I am kidding)

What would you do?

Old 10-02-2014, 07:39 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have used a parts truck took the dash and cut a piece out to fill a hole that was cut out of my 64 the po had a radio that was not stock
I would think that with a little fab work you could make your own trim

Old 10-02-2014, 07:42 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
First thing I would do is call LMC and see if they have used that universal mounting plate in your year of truck and if so what did they do.
More than likely tho you are going to adapt.
I would make a box- 6" deep, height = opening of dash hole and should be the height of radio plus some, width = opening thru dash
With the face vertical to the lower face of dash slide it in the opening and scribe the radius of the dash onto the box sides.
Cut and weld a flange onto the sides
Leave flange material on the horizontals
Using the universal mount as a template copy openings onto the bottom of box which became the face and cut them out

If you have interference or other issues the radio face does not have to be vertical it can be at an angle but box demensions will change

My sheet metal instructor once told me if ya can't see don't cut it so make sure you can visualize it

Measure twice cut once

Use cardboard first always helps

Old 10-05-2014, 04:24 PM
carbs & chrome
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a universal mount for a flat dash / panel. Looking at the catalog LMC does not offer a mount for the 48-52 dash. You'll probably need to fab something up yourself. What's the existing hole look like?

Old 10-05-2014, 04:39 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

I'm thinking about buying the radio hole cover for the 48-50, since I know it's contoured for the dash, and then cutting out the holes I'd need to use it as my faceplate.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:15 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMallory
I'm thinking about buying the radio hole cover for the 48-50, since I know it's contoured for the dash, and then cutting out the holes I'd need to use it as my faceplate.
Since they're plastic you will still need to come up with a solid mounting bracket for the radio.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:12 AM
rustybits
Freshman User
I bought a factory adaptor plate off of Ebay (took eight years to find one) that adapts a 1951/52 radio into a 1948/49/50 dash, then made another plate for behind that one to fill the gap between the factory plate and the Retro sound radio. The factory plate is curved to match the dash. regards

Old 10-06-2014, 09:21 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
I had a hard time trying to figure out how to make the radio look good. It's kind of like putting a square peg in a round hole. I changed directions and mounted it in the speaker hole, I think it looks good and it works well, not exactly stock but who cares.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:48 AM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

I like it. I would probably steal that idea if I didnt already have a speaker installed in that spot.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:01 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Can you heat the plastic with a heat gun and form it to the dash? Good luck.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:24 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You may want to look at this site. It is the Retro sound web site. https://www.flickr.com/photos/cntstp...7644258454104/
It shows faceplate options.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:40 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Original bezel

The original bezel fits from behind the dash into the radio opening. Can you fab up a bezel that will fit through the hole and have a flat face to it ?

Tom

Old 11-30-2014, 05:59 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I'm assuming the plate is a piece of plastic. You can usually get it to soften with a good quality heat gun. Place the empty piece of plastic over something round, close to the contour of the dash, and start going from side to side until it get pliable and they form it to fit. At least that's what I'd try doing.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:58 AM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I'm assuming the plate is a piece of plastic. You can usually get it to soften with a good quality heat gun. Place the empty piece of plastic over something round, close to the contour of the dash, and start going from side to side until it get pliable and they form it to fit. At least that's what I'd try doing.
I may try that. Worst I could do is ruin it, and it's not like it's much good the way it is now.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:20 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Can you weld? If so it would not be difficult to fab a metal plate that would mount the radio.

Quick Reply: Radio installation