Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

E4od - What's up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 02:40 PM
guisepi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4od - What's up?

Howdy all! I have an '89 Ford E350 (school bus) with a 7.3 IDI and an e4od transmission. I've been having a few issues and I was hoping for some help.

1) When on bumpy inclines and moving slowly, the OD light flashes and goes into limp mode. I checked my fluid level and realized it was a little high, but after I drained it to the right level, I still have this issue. It's rare, but it happens often enough to have me worried. I usually have to shut the bus off and then restart her.

2) Sometimes (rarely) when shifting, the transmission will seem to not catch the gear (it revs into slightly high RPMs, and then catches).

3) When stopped at idle and in Drive, there is a medium vibration that goes away once the bus is accelerated. It does not vibrate while in park (torque converter?)

4) I have NEVER been able to pull codes with an OBD or a voltmeter. Does anyone have the wiring schematic for this year E350 7.3 IDI? I'm sure there's a bad wire somewhere.

5) Recently the fuse that allows the OD button to work blew. I replaced it, and it blew again. It seemed that the blower motor was on the same circuit, and after I found an exposed wire that went to the blower motor (could have shorted the circuit) and fixed it, I have not had the OD fuse blow (driven about 750 miles since then, and used the OD button extensively).

Some info:
A year ago I swapped the original tranny pan for the deeper one with a drain plug. At that time I replaced the tranny filter and swapped the fluid (including in the torque converter). I have also installed a transmission cooler and temp gauge.

Any ideas, folks?

Old 09-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Without knowing what codes are being set, no, I don't have anything helpful. Once you get the codes I'm sure I can help point you in the right direction.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:06 PM
Red454sedgwick
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clean the connections wring connections on either side of the trans.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:52 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by guisepi
Howdy all! I have an '89 Ford E350 (school bus) with a 7.3 IDI and an e4od transmission. I've been having a few issues and I was hoping for some help.

1) When on bumpy inclines and moving slowly, the OD light flashes and goes into limp mode.

5) Recently the fuse that allows the OD button to work blew. I replaced it, and it blew again.
on the 92-94 (and 94-97 psd trucks too,or best yet the whole 92-96/97 hd trucks,gas or diesel i should just say lol) there is a common issue with the od light wire getting rubbed through and causing the same issues (no code help figuring that one out) but with your '89 you wont have the wiring go through the column cus your switch is on the dash right?

however,your showing the same symptoms as when the latter trucks od light wire gets chaffed.as per this article:

Article No.
92-22-5

10/21/92

^ BRAKES - REAR ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM ELECTRONICS INOPERATIVE - VEHICLES WITH E40D TRANSMISSION

^ INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - LOSS OF INSTRUMENTATION GAUGES - VEHICLES WITH E40D TRANSMISSION

^ LAMP - TRANSMISSION CONTROL LIGHT CYCLES ON/OFF OR CONTROL SWITCH INOPERATIVE - VEHICLES WITH E40D TRANSMISSION

^ WIRING - E40D TRANSMISSION CONTROL SWITCH - SHORTS IN STEERING COLUMN AND BLOWS # 17 FUSE

^ TRANSMISSION - E40D - CONTROL SWITCH WIRING SHORTS IN STEERING COLUMN AND BLOWS # 17 FUSE

^ TRANSMISSION - E40D - EARLY SHIFTS, LOSS OF POWER, POOR ACCELERATION AND 3-4 SHIFT CYCLING

LIGHT TRUCK:
1992 BRONCO, F SUPER DUTY, F-150-350 SERIES

ISSUE:
The transmission control switch wiring may be misrouted causing a short in the steering column and a blown # 17 fuse. The following symptoms may be associated with this concern.

^ Early shifts

^ Loss of power

^ Poor acceleration

^ 3-4 shift cycling

Transmission control light cycling ON/OFF or inoperative

^ Transmission control switch inoperative

^ Rear Anti-Lock Brake System (RABS) electronics (dash lights on, etc.) inoperative

^ Loss of instrumentation (tach, fuel gauge, etc.)

^ Unable to read Self-Test codes (solid tone only)

ACTION:
Inspect the transmission control switch wiring for damage and repair or replace as necessary. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

1. Remove the steering column cover. Refer to the 1992 Bronco/F-Series Service Manual, Section 11-04B, for the removal procedure.
2. Examine the transmission control switch wiring for damage, Figure 1.

3. Repair or replace the wiring as necessary.

4. Install the steering column cover. Refer to the 1992 Bronco/F-Series Service Manual, Section 11-04B, for the installation procedure.

CAUTION:
DURING REASSEMBLY, ROUTE WIRING AWAY FROM ATTACHING SCREW SO AS NOT TO PINCH OR DAMAGE WIRE.

PART NUMBER PART NAME CLASS
F2TZ-7210-F Lever And Wiring Harness B
D9ZZ-14526-C Fuse AM

so though those part numbers there wont help you,the info will give you a place to inspect (as it's free and im always for the free stuff first) to take a look at the wires going to your od cancel switch and inspect your switch as well.

find out why the od cancel switch/light is blowing it's fuse first in summary.this would be my first and only objective before i did much else.

lets go pats!

Old 09-29-2014, 11:04 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seem to remember the fuel heater in the filter head may also be on same circuit no sure. the filter must have special clip to hold it on when using the deeper pan.