Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injectors? Clean? Replace? Cheap? Expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 08:13 PM
krooser
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Injectors? Clean? Replace? Cheap? Expensive?

Like the title sez… what do you guys do? What brand is good… what do you stay away from? Are any of these US sourced or are they third world parts?

Old 09-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume your asking about injectors for your F-350?

Old 09-01-2014, 10:36 PM
krooser
Elder User
Originally Posted by Truck Guy99
I assume your asking about injectors for your F-350?
Yep….

I've seen the post on cleaning the injectors… sounds pretty good. Aftermarket new units range from $15.00 to $50.00 each… there has to be some difference in the quality for that wide of a price range. Just looking at the pix on Rock Auto you can see some use lots of plastic and some use stainless steel.

I'm going to take a look at my two local parts houses to get a hands on feel for 'em… maybe I'll just clean the ones that are in the engine.

I'm not having any problems but I think this truck has the originals in it and I'm in a preventative maintenance mood right now. I want to get as much done to this truck as i can the next few days… I have to do a little bit more reassemble work on the wife's Miata (it's for sale) and I have to get the stock car out of the shop as I have a Jeep engine to tear down and fix...

Old 09-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
They are all metal bodied. Some are just left bare and some are painted. The way I see it, try cleaning them. If that doesn't help much you can swap them after that for new ones.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:23 PM
krooser
Elder User
Originally Posted by Evan_P
They are all metal bodied. Some are just left bare and some are painted. The way I see it, try cleaning them. If that doesn't help much you can swap them after that for new ones.
I may do that….

Old 09-02-2014, 02:53 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I took my 5.8L apart to find fault causing a dead miss in two cylinders, thought sure couple of the injectors had thrown in the towel due to age (1994).

I got the upper intake off made up a test harness so I could power them with a 9 volt, section of rubber hose from blow gun to injector. I couldn't find a thing wrong with them, turned back to the truck and its engine harness. Trucks sits for most the summer in the field, found rodent damage to those two injectors the red wire bit through.

In a way made me mad was looking for a reason to put a new set in, I cleaned them up tested them make sure they created a spray pattern and fully closed, found they all did so. I ended up putting them back in replacing the engine harness instead.

I was hoping to find fault in them, a solid reason why new injectors would eek out little better fuel econ, could see I was better off saving money would pay for new injectors to pay for fuel instead!

460 is easy to pull and check them, no upper to remove first, if you have the time it wouldn't hurt to check them over get a kit for each one, as stated the kit isn't very expensive and new o rings on em is always a good thing.

A half inch copper fitting brush is the perfect thing to use for cleaning the injector sockets in the intake and the fuel rail, that and a shop vac.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:38 PM
krooser
Elder User
Originally Posted by danr1
I took my 5.8L apart to find fault causing a dead miss in two cylinders, thought sure couple of the injectors had thrown in the towel due to age (1994).

I got the upper intake off made up a test harness so I could power them with a 9 volt, section of rubber hose from blow gun to injector. I couldn't find a thing wrong with them, turned back to the truck and its engine harness. Trucks sits for most the summer in the field, found rodent damage to those two injectors the red wire bit through.

In a way made me mad was looking for a reason to put a new set in, I cleaned them up tested them make sure they created a spray pattern and fully closed, found they all did so. I ended up putting them back in replacing the engine harness instead.

I was hoping to find fault in them, a solid reason why new injectors would eek out little better fuel econ, could see I was better off saving money would pay for new injectors to pay for fuel instead!

460 is easy to pull and check them, no upper to remove first, if you have the time it wouldn't hurt to check them over get a kit for each one, as stated the kit isn't very expensive and new o rings on em is always a good thing.

A half inch copper fitting brush is the perfect thing to use for cleaning the injector sockets in the intake and the fuel rail, that and a shop vac.

Thanks...

Old 09-02-2014, 07:06 PM
curtisbutlerjr
Junior User
fuel injector

If you go with new GP Sorensen/Fuel Injector is what I purchased. american made and stainless steel in side and out.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:42 PM
krooser
Elder User
Originally Posted by curtisbutlerjr
If you go with new GP Sorensen/Fuel Injector is what I purchased. american made and stainless steel in side and out.
OK… I forgot to ask about injectors today when I picked up some other parts… tomorrow is another day.