1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Front Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:06 PM
Calvin Thomas
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Shocks

Just to let everyone know.
I bought front KYB MonoMax shocks for the front of my 94 E150.
I have heavy duty springs in the front and Monroe Sensatrac was not holding up. The van was bouncing all over the place.

But the KYB shocks stopped all the bouncing and the van drives great now.

I don't know if KYB shocks are popular here but I can say I really like them.

My entire front end is new now, Just need to get the stabilizer shock installed. This is the idea someone else posted here.

I need a rear sway bar system for the rear.
Is there a popular brand that everyone is using or knows it will perform well.
I pull a 14' cargo trailer and want to keep it good and straight.
Thanks
Calvin

Old 07-27-2014, 05:45 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I use a Hellwig rear anti-sway bar, would use nothing else. They're highly effective and relatively easy to install, assuming one wisely follows the included instructions. The only thing of concern is drilling new or enlarging left side frame holes because there are numerous electrical wires, fuel system hoses as well as brake lines directly in the way, but easily temporarily moved for this installation.

You can view the Hellwig bar, part number 7642 and download installation instructions here: http://www.hellwigproducts.com/

Not sure if a rear bar is the one and only cure for towing but its a good addition anyway even if you don't tow.

Not sure why a brand change of shocks would cure the bouncing issue as that tends to be a worn out or leaking shock, perhaps the wrong part selected for any particular chassis. The rule of thumb is once the shocks have been compressed they should "bounce" just once then stop or damp that input. Continued oscillations point to something in the suspension is weak or overloaded.

HTH

Old 09-29-2015, 11:30 AM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Bilstein, KYB Mono Max, or KYB gas adjust for Ford E150?

I will be adding Hellwig anti sway bars to my Ford E150 next month and plan on adding some heavy duty shocks in another month.

I know JWA likes the Bilsteins. Any comparisons between the KYB mono max, KYB gas adjust, and the Bilsteins?

Old 09-29-2015, 12:45 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
KYBs are nothing compared to Bilsteins.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:56 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by vettex2
KYBs are nothing compared to Bilsteins.
Naturally I agree with this but not just because I'm a shock snob.

KYB's are made to a price point and as such have compromises somewhere in their construction. Personally before I'd buy that brand something "cheap" from any parts seller would work, me realizing right up front 30K miles might be their upper limit life-wise. I've seen shocks claiming to fit E250/E350 for $20 each----kinda sorta sure they'd NOT have a lifetime replacement warranty.

For my money having a known long-lived part is worth far more than the cost difference, my time and the aggravation of changing shocks takes spending a few dollars more is the only way to go, IMHO anyway.

Free time vs money spent----we typically have more of one than the other so that's usually the deciding factor when it comes to shocks.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:15 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA

KYB's are made to a price point and as such have compromises somewhere in their construction. Personally before I'd buy that brand something "cheap" from any parts seller would work, me realizing right up front 30K miles might be their upper limit life-wise. I've seen shocks claiming to fit E250/E350 for $20 each----kinda sorta sure they'd NOT have a lifetime replacement warranty.

For my money having a known long-lived part is worth far more than the cost difference, my time and the aggravation of changing shocks takes spending a few dollars more is the only way to go, IMHO anyway.

Free time vs money spent----we typically have more of one than the other so that's usually the deciding factor when it comes to shocks.
Free time verses time inside, under, or working around the van is no contest. I prefer working a few hours over time at work rather than wrenching. After I install the Hellwig anti sway bars, I will try a set of Bilsteins. Do I need a floor jack to assist in the installation? Might be worth sending the job to my local mechanic for $65.

I picked up a used E350 diesel van for hauling food to the farmers market and it's night and day difference driving compared to my E150. I don't feel the roll or sway.

Am I being too optimistic hoping the anti sway bars and new shocks will help this handle like the E350?

Old 09-29-2015, 04:27 PM
Jblaze5779
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The driver's front shock is a huge pain in the ***. Took me a better part of the day to get it off. Had to resort to cutting the top off with one of those vibratory saws.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:27 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA

I care about what works. I've used both and there is no comparison. K's are toast in about a year. They are fine if you are selling , not keeping, the vehicle.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:30 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by coolfeet
Free time verses time inside, under, or working around the van is no contest. I prefer working a few hours over time at work rather than wrenching. After I install the Hellwig anti sway bars, I will try a set of Bilsteins. Do I need a floor jack to assist in the installation? Might be worth sending the job to my local mechanic for $65.

Am I being too optimistic hoping the anti sway bars and new shocks will help this handle like the E350?
If someone will install all four shocks of any brand for $65 do it---that's a ridiculously great price. In the best of ways I'd question a for-hire mechanic's sanity working that cheaply!

Sway bars, new bushings and/or new shocks won't overcome weak or under sized springs, leaf or coil. Age as well as accumulated use from hauling loads close to a springs rating takes a toll, they do wear out or become "softer" over time.

The difference between your E150 and the E350 is very much attributable to the installed springs rating. (The frame along with other factors influence this but for practical discussion here we'll concentrate on just the springs.) The E350 has a heavier engine so front springs are rated to handle that increased weight, the GVWR close to 9,600 pounds which is probably 2,000 pounds higher than your E150. As a result handling characteristics would appear more sports-car like because the suspension isn't splitting its duties between supporting a load and dealing with things like body roll etc.

Before suspension enhancements are added make sure fundamentals like springs are in tip-top condition. Next up is wear points like bushings and other attaching/supporting points that might allow excessive movement of suspension parts.