Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Parking brake lever seized

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:10 PM
FatherDonald74
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking brake lever seized

The parking brake lever on my '05 Escape will not budge, is there a simple solution to this problem or do I most likely need the whole cable assembly replaced? Is there any particular spot on the cable that's most susceptible to seizing from rust that I could soak with penetrating oil to free it up? I know the inner cable comes out of the coiled metal, conduit-like outer part and is exposed where it attaches to the rear brakes. Is this most likely the spot that's causing the problem?

Old 07-17-2014, 12:03 AM
FatherDonald74
Junior User
Puede alguien ayudarme, por favor?

Old 07-18-2014, 04:54 AM
Dan Robertson
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have disk brakes in the rear? If so, the hardware and linkage for the small drum style parking brakes very often seizes up due to corrosion and rust. That is annual maintenance in Northern Maine where they use lots of calcium on the roads. That could cause the issues that you are having. You would have to remove the rotors and the parking brake shoes and hardware. Free it all up up with penetrating oil and then give little actuating levers a coat of brake caliper grease.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:54 PM
FatherDonald74
Junior User
Disregard what I'm typing, the webpage screwed up my post and now I can't delete it so I have to type in something long enough in order to change my post. Please delete this post.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:09 PM
FatherDonald74
Junior User
I got the problem taken care of. The e-brake backing plates were so rusted that the two little retainer springs that hold the bottom of the e-brake shoes to the backing plate had ripped right out of the backing plates, the inner drums were full of chewed up metal and rust, and even the star wheel adjuster was seized up. Needless to say, the e-brakes were severly dragging and so were the calipers. I've worked on many trucks from the 70's that had brakes in better condition than this '05 with 50K miles on it.
I've spent over $300 on parts for the rear brakes and now I find that the e-brakes need rebuilt as well. Total with new brake and e-brake parts will be over $500.
In my 45 years driving on and off road, never have I been in a situation that I couldn't get by without having an emergency brake. I'm just going to remove the guts, put it all back together and focus on the brakes that are actually required. I know some shops won't pass a vehicle without working e-brakes but mine will. Actually, come to think of it, I've had many vehicles without functioning e-brakes and numerous shops passed them regardless.
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:18 PM
Dan Robertson
Laughing Gas
I use mine just once per year, for the State Inspection. My Ranger pick up is a little different situation as it is a standard and I need the E brake to hold it if I want to idle but then it doesn't have the miniature brake-shoe set up either.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:05 PM
FatherDonald74
Junior User
I've offroaded with many trucks over the years with standard transmissions and even then I never needed an e-brake. My daily driver is an F350 with a 5-speed and rarely do I ever use the parking brake. I just let it idle on level ground or make sure the tires are pointed at the curb. The truck warms up so fast I just sit in it until it's warm then go. My e-brake does not grip very well so when hooking up my trailer I just get the hitch close, turn off the engine, leave in gear, then move the trailer by hand the rest of the way.
I don't think I've ever used the e-brake on any automatic equipped vehicles I've ever owned other than to just make sure they don't seize up by pulling the lever every now and again.
The reason why the e-brake seized up on the Escape is because it sat for close to 8 months. I'd like to fix it the right way but funds do not permit it at this point.
Thanks for the help!

Old 07-20-2014, 06:51 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FatherDonald74
I've offroaded with many trucks over the years with standard transmissions and even then I never needed an e-brake. My daily driver is an F350 with a 5-speed and rarely do I ever use the parking brake. I just let it idle on level ground or make sure the tires are pointed at the curb. The truck warms up so fast I just sit in it until it's warm then go. My e-brake does not grip very well so when hooking up my trailer I just get the hitch close, turn off the engine, leave in gear, then move the trailer by hand the rest of the way.
I don't think I've ever used the e-brake on any automatic equipped vehicles I've ever owned other than to just make sure they don't seize up by pulling the lever every now and again.
The reason why the e-brake seized up on the Escape is because it sat for close to 8 months. I'd like to fix it the right way but funds do not permit it at this point.
Thanks for the help!
You either use a E-Brake all the time or don't use it at all.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if anybody makes a conversion kit to swap the useless PITA rear disks to drum?