Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 09:49 PM
ComanderDuke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this post is going to be a little long but bare with me on this. In January this year I became the proud owner of a 2005 Excursion 4x4 Eddie Bauer with 154k miles. The reason I'm now posting this is because about a week later I was deployed. Anyways while deployed I read almost everything on here in the tech folder and everyone's posts and learned everything I could from this wonderful forum. First thing I purchased was a scan gauge II and had my wife plug it in and I told her what to watch and everything went great while I was gone. When I retuned a few weeks ago I changed the oil and checked the fluids and noticed the coolant level was just a little low so I topped it off and thought nothing of it till we took it on a little trip just under 500 miles round trip. So I bought a Sinister Diesel EGR delete kit, SCT Tuner and 4" AFE exhaust. I ordered all the parts from MKM Customs, they hooked me up and fast. I got and installed before I left, coolant stopped to disappear on me so I thought I would a worry free trip. We were driving in Arizona and then another problem appeared, I pretty much lost all boost. I would stop and when I would accelerate the turbo wouldn't spool until the RPMs reached about 3k and it would spool up again. Anyway so I limped it the rest of the way. We arrived at our destination and the next day I took the turbo off to see what was going on. To my discovery the turbo shaft had a lot of play, so I called MKM Customs again and ordered a new Sinster Turbo, I figured a little upgrade wouldn't hurt and again just like before they hooked me really well and fast. I received the turbo the next day and installed it and everything was working great for the remainder of the time while we were home (also changed the oil and checked the oil feed tube ). So now we're driving home and it's starting all over again and I have no idea why it's doing it. Watching the scan gauge and nothing seems out of order except no boost again, figure this turbo is bad now. Still have 700 miles on our trip back home, so I was hoping my Excursion family would be able to help me out with tips and advise why it's doing this? Sorry no pictures at this time. I know I know no pics or it didn't happen.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:54 PM
v10lover
New User
Welcome i am pretty new myself. Thanks for your service

Old 07-09-2014, 09:58 PM
ComanderDuke
New User
Well I guess we'll learn together. It's an honor to be able to serve my country.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:38 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
When you had the turbo off, did you check the charge pipes? I had the exhaust charge pipes crack in the expansion (accordion looking) areas. Then shortly there after, I had a boot split right where the charged air comes out of the turbo. I lost all sorts of power and my MPGs fell dramatically.

If you can, double check your pipes and boots and make sure they are all connected and in one piece. If they happen to be slipping off, give everything a shot of carb cleaner to remove any oil before putting things back together.

Hope this helps, and from one service member to another, thanks for what you do!

Old 07-09-2014, 11:00 PM
ComanderDuke
New User
Thanks for the advice I'll check it I'm the morning, I checked all the boots when I put the new turbo on and seemed to check, my question is that I drove about 1k before heading home and not an issue but then going up in elevation and it would get worse, I stop to get gas and let it cool for a little bit and I get few psi of boost back.

Not a problem,

Old 07-09-2014, 11:10 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Not sure then...

I know that when my boot split, I lost a lot of boost and capability. I had to jerry rig it to get home that Sunday, Easter, evening. At the beginning of the 2+ hour drive, things were good, until I hit the hills, and there was a sudden drop in abilities, I knew then that my "fix" had unfixed itself and I ended up limping the next hour and a half back home...

Good luck with everything, I hope it is a quick and easy fix.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:17 PM
ComanderDuke
New User
That makes two of us I'm really hoping for ripped boot I missed some how in the morning lol

Old 07-09-2014, 11:22 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
I just hope that the boot popped off, as a new boot from Ford is around $90 each!

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 PM
ComanderDuke
New User
That would be the best case scenario

Old 07-10-2014, 02:20 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Just checking in to see how it is going. Did you find the issue, or is it all still up in the air?

Take care.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:51 AM
ComanderDuke
New User
Well woke up and checked all that I could and no luck. Went to a local mechanic in town and told him how I think I'm loosing pressure with HPOP he told me he had a customer a few weeks ago that had a similar problem. So I took it into the dealership today and when I hear something I'll let y'all know.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:53 PM
ComanderDuke
New User
Sorry everyone it took me so long to give you an update on what happened with everything. I took my Excursion to the dealership in Gallup, NM and left it there had to rent a mini van to get back in time for work. They called me the following monday and said my Excursion was done. They found a torn boot (USCG PA you were right), the price wasn't as bad as i thought it would've been. Since I live so far away and getting back up there would've been a pain I called an auto transporter to pick it up and drop it off took a long time to get one that was headed this way. So far it seems to be running like it should be. The only problem that i'm having now is that i cant find my SCT Tuner that I bought, going to take everything out of it tomorrow and see if it got buried under all the stuff I had to crammed in there when I left.