Picked up this "gem" today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:11 PM
biederboat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up this "gem" today!

Hey guys,

I'll give a short history here. Been "on/off" active on this forum through a few Bronco's, Rangers and even Aerostars. Used to have a 75 F250 high-boy that I converted from a full-time to part-time (actually changed Xfer case to a NP 205). For the longest time, I was hoping (and at one point probably could have) to inherit my wife's grandfather's 78 F250 Lariat 4x4 that was absoultely pristine (about 75K miles, well taken care of). After I let that one go I thought "well, it's all past now". Until yesterday that is. Found a 78 F250 Custom Camper Special 4X4 with 4-speed and even has the factory tool box (maybe that's part of the Camper package?)! Mostly straight, no rust, don't even know if it has a 400 or 351 (don't really care). Someone recently replaced both cats, and it has dual tanks although those are likely standard I'm thinking. Has "cam lock" chains for both axles, decent tires. Cab, hood, front, back are all straight. Doors maybe a bit dinged and the bed between the tool box and tail gate is pretty bad. Cracked windshield. It was at an estate sale and they wanted $1500; I bid $1000 and got the call this morning. Funny thing is that there was an absolute toast corn-binder right next to it (totally rusted above the windshield) that they also wanted $1500 for.

The worst (right now anyway) is that it won't start. Cranks over great, runs on ether but won't stay running. It was going off a tank that looked empty; switched to the other one that indicated full so I'm wondering if they ran it empty and it clogged up? The truck was re-licensed for January 2014 but around here that could have been done mid-late fall (but it does indicate that they had to get it past emissions). Someone there said it had been moved in the last week to prep for the sale (all rigs were in a nice row). I can tow it home on a dolly but would like to avoid the hassle if possible. It's on my way home, I have a week to pick it up and so I'd like to take a stab at getting it started and drive it home.

I do believe my first thing should be to verify it's getting fuel. I didn't check, do these have a mechanical or electrical fuel pump and where is the filter located (assuming it's stock which the truck very much is)? Should I basically use a remote starter and check for fuel coming out at the carb?

I noticed the choke didn't close, it was about 55 degrees so I'm assuming it should have?

One other question, what do you guys think about the dents in the bed; fixable or should I start the painful process of looking for one? Sure would like to keep that tool box.

That's my first take on it, any suggestions?

Thanks!
BB

Old 05-18-2014, 09:34 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by WillyWonka
The rest of the bed looks pretty nice, even the wheel well arches are cancer free (thanks to the rail caps) I would just find a damaged donor bed with the good part you need and graft in that section of bed onto your truck.
The bed rail caps have nothing to do with wheel arch rust. Bumps don't have the problem and it's the same basic design.

The cause of wheel arch rust are the poorly designed, welded-in wheel well liner. Dirt, pebbles, and mud gets packed-up between the liner and the bed. The so-called "drain holes" are waaaay too small and the mud/dirt can't escape nor dry out.

Been there. Done that - replacing wheel arches that is.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably a mechanical pump, and the filter is small, probably located at the front passenger side of the carb.
Is your gauge reading any fuel in the tank? Maybe switch tanks and try again.

Would be a good idea to start looking for a bed, but getting it running well should be first priority.

Nice truck!

Old 05-18-2014, 10:18 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
They (rail caps) may not be the sole contributing factor but they do play a significant role in preventing wheel well rot. Debris falls into the bed stake opening and has no where to escape, it collects in the pocket between body panel and wheel well lining and traps moisture. viola.. you have rust bubbling from underneath the paint!
NOT.

"Viola"? hahahahah....that's a stringed instrument. The correct spelling of that French word is v-o-i-l-a.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:34 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
I stand by my statement, if a minor spelling error is your best defense you're on the losing end of the debate.
You're free to stand by your incorrect statement and conclusion.

I'll stand by my actual hands-on analysis and experience.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:37 PM
biederboat
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jklnhyd
Probably a mechanical pump, and the filter is small, probably located at the front passenger side of the carb.
Is your gauge reading any fuel in the tank? Maybe switch tanks and try again.

Would be a good idea to start looking for a bed, but getting it running well should be first priority.

Nice truck!
Thanks! I did switch the tank and the new one read full. I thought I had cranked it over enough to get fuel out of it (assuming that was the issue) but I also didn't want to fry the starter.

I'll give it a go early this week and see what happen.

BB

Old 05-18-2014, 10:43 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
My statement is based upon experience and observation, beds with rail caps or toppers both experience less to no wheel well rot than those without. Perhaps you need to expand your data pool before exposing such a flawed theory?
Moving on because your communication is pointless and errant.

But ya might wanna explain wheel arch rot on a short bed where there is no center stake hole.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:52 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
But ya might wanna explain wheel arch rot on a short bed where there is no center stake hole.

Waiting on the theory..... LOL.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:59 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Your wasting your breath, HIO. Right, or wrong this guy is an antagonist with almost every thread he is on.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:18 PM
landers0440
Senior User
My statement is based upon experience and observation, beds with rail caps or toppers both experience less to no wheel well rot than those without. Perhaps you need to expand your data pool before expousing such a flawed theory?
Agreed. My uncle ran his body shop for 40+ years and swears up and down that rail caps will greatly help save your truck from "cancer".

Old 05-19-2014, 05:21 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by co425
Your wasting your breath, HIO. Right, or wrong this guy is an antagonist with almost every thread he is on.
10-4..........

Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 PM
1979 300i6
Senior User
nice job HIO and the fender walls, I hope mine turn out this nice, thanks for posting

Old 05-19-2014, 09:03 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey biederboat, your new F-250 CS is awesome! I know you will figure out your fuel situation, but as far as your bed goes, I would go ahead and fix it. There is absolutely no need to throw it away over minor dents that could be pulled out in an afternoon. A little bodywork to smooth it out, and you're back in business.

David

Old 05-19-2014, 09:55 PM
biederboat
Elder User
Originally Posted by rougeriver
Hey biederboat, your new F-250 CS is awesome! I know you will figure out your fuel situation, but as far as your bed goes, I would go ahead and fix it. There is absolutely no need to throw it away over minor dents that could be pulled out in an afternoon. A little bodywork to smooth it out, and you're back in business.

David
Thanks! Future is undecided on this. I would absolutely love to get it looking "nice enough" and use it as a decent utility & hunt camp truck. Its future is bright but gotta get it running.

BB