Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cruise Control Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Cruise Control Conundrum

Now that I have Stinky closer to 100% than ever before, I will be addressing annoyances... like the automatic dome light not working and the stupid Door Ajar light working too much. Before I get to that, I have a new problem:

I press the "ON" button for Cruise Control, and the system shows no symptoms of coming on. I did a search and I found this:

*cruise control self test*

Enter self-test diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel
will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.
Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.
If the ON switch is not depressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.
The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the static test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.
If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

2 flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).

3 flashes - deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.

4 flashes - vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective

Immediately (.25 second delay) after the static test, the speed control servo does a dynamic test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns to the idle position.

I'm betting it's something simple, like my parking brake switch is probably not being pressed by the pedal... but I thought I'd share my process as I go through this (when I find the time).

Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 AM
enormiss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont get any indicator with the on button, only after set /accel button (or resume if previously set).
Not sure if it's supposed too or not.. but works otherwise

Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 AM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by enormiss
I dont get any indicator with the on button, only after set /accel button (or resume if previously set).
This is the behavior of mine as well. Push "ON" and nothing new happens until I set it, then the little indicator lights up......

Old 04-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Now that I have Stinky closer to 100% than ever before, I will be addressing annoyances... like the automatic dome light not working and the stupid Door Ajar light working too much. Before I get to that, I have a new problem:

I press the "ON" button for Cruise Control, and the system shows no symptoms of coming on. I did a search and I found this:

*cruise control self test*

Enter self-test diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel
will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.
Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.
If the ON switch is not depressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.
The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the static test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.
If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

2 flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).

3 flashes - deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.

4 flashes - vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective

Immediately (.25 second delay) after the static test, the speed control servo does a dynamic test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns to the idle position.

I'm betting it's something simple, like my parking brake switch is probably not being pressed by the pedal... but I thought I'd share my process as I go through this (when I find the time).
That doesn't look like the right procedure for an SD. The SDs don't have a speed control servo, and the BPP switch should be called a BOO switch. There should also be an additional service brake related switch listed, the BPA switch on the master cylinder. I just got a recall notice last week regarding the BPA switch and the possibility of it leaking and causing a fire, too.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by enormiss
Originally Posted by River19
This is the behavior of mine as well. Push "ON" and nothing new happens until I set it, then the little indicator lights up......
The CC not working is a new thing... I just discovered it Thursday.

Originally Posted by Pikachu
That doesn't look like the right procedure for an SD. The SDs don't have a speed control servo, and the BPP switch should be called a BOO switch. There should also be an additional service brake related switch listed, the BPA switch on the master cylinder. I just got a recall notice last week regarding the BPA switch and the possibility of it leaking and causing a fire, too.
A recall notice on our generation of truck? I thought that was the purview of GM.

I thought I remembered something about this long ago, but I can't always retain the details that haven't applied to me before now.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:31 AM
spongecop
Semper Fi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clock spring??? I have an SRS light on flashing code 32...but by CC and horn still work for now. Mine is definitely a clock spring tho.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:39 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly

A recall notice on our generation of truck? I thought that was the purview of GM.
I have that recall notice sitting in front of me right now. It is dated April 2014.

scanning down to the middle to get pertinent information, it states-

Key information

-Your vehicle contains a potential underhood fire risk
-Your safety is important to us. Schedule an appointment to have the service procedure completed.
-This procedure will be performed free of charge
-Si necesita ayuda o tiene alguna pregunta, por favor...blah blah blah spanish....

Safety Recall 09S09- Speed Control Deactivation Switch Fire

What is the issue?
Ford cannot be confident that after many years in service, the speed control deactivation switch installed in your vehicle will not leak, posing the risk of an underhood fire. Until this repair is performed, a fire could occur at any time. A fire can occur even if the key is not in the ignition, and can occur even if the speed control system is never used. (Damn, there goes my reason for not allowing the Ford dealer to touch my truck...)Until your vehicle is repaired, please park your vehicle away from structures to prevent a potential underhood fire from spreading. (oh Lord, this is serious!!!)

What are we asking you to do?

Please contact your dealer to schedule an appointment to have this important service procedure complete. Balh blah blah english....

Old 04-28-2014, 10:42 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
I always thought the CC worked the way described, push on button nothing happens until set button activated. The same thing happens on our 2004 Lincoln TC except a message lights up saying CC Ready when On button is pressed & then it's activated when Set button is pressed.

That recall that HKusp posted, is that not the same one from a few years ago ?
BTW they changed my CPS when it went in for the recall, kinda p!ssed me off that they took a good black CPS & put one of the suspect gray ones in

Old 04-28-2014, 11:35 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
That is why I haven't had them do my CPS. To be honest, until Pika mentioned this recall, I had not even looked at that letter that came last week. The only reason I opened it was to see if it was about the CC or still them bugging me about the CPS.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by HKusp
...please park your vehicle away from structures to prevent a potential underhood fire from spreading.
Oh for the love of.... Stinky is parked next to Wild Blue Juander (my San Juan sail boat)... and a cedar fence... which is next to all that recent work I did on my automatic central irrigation system. That would just be my luck: I finally wrestle Stinky into submission, and he retaliates by burning down half of my other projects. I'd better check to see if my insurance premiums are current... maybe even put a rider on the added hardware in the truck.

Originally Posted by cj45lc
BTW they changed my CPS when it went in for the recall, kinda p!ssed me off that they took a good black CPS & put one of the suspect gray ones in
The gray one is more reliable, but the black one gives a better idle and low PERDELs. In that situation... I would see if I can get the black one back, then put the gray one in the glove box.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Mine has had that recall done for YEARS.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:55 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
My '02 Ranger had that recall notice about two years ago. Don't know if it is the same system or not but the configuration on the wheel is exactly the same as my SD. The recall did nothing for my problem though, most of the time the "cruise" light just blinks with the ON button and no CC. If it lights up and stays on all is good for a little while.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Is there a way of finding out about any recalls for my truck? Built 5/99 for Canadian market, but exported to the UK from new.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:27 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
Originally Posted by Pikachu
. I just got a recall notice last week regarding the BPA switch and the possibility of it leaking and causing a fire, too.
I had that recall done on my truck back in 2011 that addressed this issue. If there was a leak, they replaced the switch. If there wasn't a leak, they put in a section of wiring harness that added a fuse I think? Then about 6 months or so ago my cruise quite working out of no where. I found a CC system test and tried it and the truck wouldn't even initiate the test. After that i started checked the sensor and found the plug held together with duct tape. Went to Ford, got a new harness, all fixed.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:33 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...working-3.html

I think this is the same thread that i used to fix my problem. There's also a picture of the harness I mentioned.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Conundrum