6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Which DC Power Alternator??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Militant83
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schmidt64
I'm not sure what the series is called. I actually emailed Matt at Mechman (mlogan@mechman.com) about their battery cable kit and he told me about the alternator, said it's not on their website. They also make the the "Tough Truck" alternators and he said that the internals on this one are identical to that line, here is a link, he has been very helpful and prompt with his reponses...

240a Truck Tough High Output Alternator for Ford 6.0 diesel - Truck Tough High Output Alternators | Online Store
Thanks for sharing never knew Mechman was out there and after researching several reviews and forums in the diesel and car audio world, I think Mechman might be my choice they seem to have a better reviews and prices than DC. Although there hasn't been much bad said about either. Bad customer service was a big thing with DC from what I've read.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:00 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Militant83
Thanks for sharing never knew Mechman was out there and after researching several reviews and forums in the diesel and car audio world, I think Mechman might be my choice they seem to have a better reviews and prices than DC. Although there hasn't been much bad said about either. Bad customer service was a big thing with DC from what I've read.
DC certainly had their share of issues, availability being the primary thing. This is why we order their product a pallet at a time so that they are ready to go out the day of order for the more common units. That said, I know literally nothing about the Mechman units....

Old 04-21-2014, 06:40 AM
Militant83
Junior User
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com
DC certainly had their share of issues, availability being the primary thing. This is why we order their product a pallet at a time so that they are ready to go out the day of order for the more common units. That said, I know literally nothing about the Mechman units....
Hey Ed I tried to email you the past few days and some got kicked back have you been having email issues?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:30 AM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Keep us updated on the Mechman unit. I'm in the market for a new alt and haven't quite decided which route to take. Does Mechman keep these in stock and ship out quickly?

Old 04-21-2014, 12:34 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Militant83
Hey Ed I tried to email you the past few days and some got kicked back have you been having email issues?
I was going through some serious email and systems issues, yes. Thankfully, they are all behind me now. All I have to do now is catchup!

I know that Texas A&M wanted to see a picture of the installed cable kit solution, so I will be getting that out today (finally - sorry!).

So...if you've tried to get me and had trouble - or if you hadn't heard back on an inquiry you made, please drop me another line. I'm *told* that I didn't lose any messages, but am skeptical. I gotta keep reminding myself how much I love technology...

Old 04-21-2014, 01:20 PM
schmidt64
Elder User
Originally Posted by TexasA&M
Keep us updated on the Mechman unit. I'm in the market for a new alt and haven't quite decided which route to take. Does Mechman keep these in stock and ship out quickly?
I was told that it would ship in 7-10 business days as they were very busy with tax season orders but it shipped in 5 days I believe, not sure what their current situation is though as that was a few weeks ago.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Just wondering, I put the 185amp DC alt., on my sons truck in the last 30 days. His scan gauge was only showing 13.8 volts so I took it to DC power, I live close by, and he put and extra cable from the battery passenger side to the alternator. Dose it have to be fused? It now shows 14.08 on the flute meter.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:23 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Just wondering, I put the 185amp DC alt., on my sons truck in the last 30 days. His scan gauge was only showing 13.8 volts so I took it to DC power, I live close by, and he put and extra cable from the battery passenger side to the alternator. Dose it have to be fused? It now shows 14.08 on the flute meter.
There is roughly a .2-.4 volt difference between the OBD port and at the battery.

Josh

Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
The increased voltage is due to the decreased voltage drop associated with the larger gauge auxiliary wire. A great calculator for this to determine wire size can be found at Voltage Drop Calculator.

Larger wire = less voltage drop, which is nearly always a good thing.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
The increased voltage is due to the decreased voltage drop associated with the larger gauge auxiliary wire. A great calculator for this to determine wire size can be found at Voltage Drop Calculator.

Larger wire = less voltage drop, which is nearly always a good thing.
He was comparing voltage with scangauge at the OBD port to after the extra cable, voltage at the battery.

Apples to oranges.

Josh

Old 04-21-2014, 11:12 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Thanks josh & ED. Makes since, so I don't need to put a fuse in that wire either. And ED, on his scan gauge he shows 47.5 to 46 on the low side for his FICM, I guess that is good to go? He wants to have you flash his FCIM but he tows 16K plus toy hauler and doesn't have EGT gauge. Sure hope he put's that on first.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blade35 is correct that any I the DC Power are a huge improvement over stock. For those not running aftermarket accessories that drain power, the key consideration is the length of trips (as longer trips provide the necessary time to recharge the batteries) in concert with how much of the post start up glow plug draw you want to cover to further keep your FICM happy. We sell a ton of the 250HD units since they nearly cover the nut and a ton of the 270XP's since they completely do while even allowing you to run the heated seats without concern.
one of the main claims to fame with the xp, is a hairpin winding
with square drawn copper wire, instead of a wave winding.
without going into a lot of boring details why, it's a better design,
and more costly to manufacture. so it costs more to buy.

if you call dc power, and talk to their guys, they will probably tell
you to a man that the XP is the best thing they have got to sell.

the only time you will ever NOT be charging your battery with an xp,
is when cranking, and for about 5 seconds after it starts.

winch, godzilla stereo, eleventeen super oscars, landing lights off
a C-130, all on at once, won't matter.

understand that the 6.0 when cold draws about 100 amps, sucking
down the batteries till it warms up, and the starting circuit turns off.
not with an xp.. the batteries will be charging, even with a stone cold
motor.... and the output is about 14.5~14.8 volts, so the batteries will
fully charge.

the OEM POS charges at 13.2 or so... at best, the batteries will never
get past 25% charge.

ever.

there's a reason why ed sells good alternators. bad ones kill ficms.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:13 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
The XP series is pretty incredible, no doubt. I run the 270XP on my rig and know that I am set. Of course, there's the 370XP now...

I haven't found a better alternator option out there than DC Power's units. I've looked.

Are they spendy? Yep. The issue is that the other options that I've found thus far are cheap.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:49 PM
Superduty71
New User
Not sure if you guys have ever looked a Wrangler Power Products, but may be an option for some of you for your rigs... I run their dual battery setup & alternator / cable upgrade kit in my truck (a gasser) & am very happy with it. I was turned on to the product by my brother who is the master mechanic for a local town & that is what they use on all there emergency / rescue rigs.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
Not cheap either… but another option..<o></o>

Old 05-27-2014, 09:36 PM
Militant83
Junior User
Just wanted to give a quick update... I ended up going with the Mechman 270...it took about a week and a half until I had it on my door step. I will be installing soon and I will update with a pic.

Quick Reply: Which DC Power Alternator??