Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Head Bolt/Stud Tech thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 06:48 PM
styger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Should i assume you have a turbo? In that case check for wear on the block / heads from the fire rings in the gaskets. If its severe it will lead to more gasket problems. Studs from R&D IDI Performance - Home
Regrettably I do not have turbo.
Regarding head bolts eBay is good place to buy?
I'm checking out r&d.
Thanks for quick feed back!

Old 01-07-2016, 07:04 AM
styger
New User
Originally Posted by styger
Regrettably I do not have turbo.
Regarding head bolts eBay is good place to buy?
I'm checking out r&d.
Thanks for quick feed back!
I found a few articles on replacing head gaskets over at oilburners, http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?25586-replace-head-gaskets-6-9-diesel . I don't shy away from hard work but I think I'll wait and do it when I buy a turbo and install!!!!
One of the guys was recommending something called Bars and a ceramic sealer to fix coolant leaks.
Does anyone have experience with this stuff?
Thank you

Old 01-07-2016, 05:29 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you dont plan to turbo. Headbolts are good enough. When you mentioned the ARPs i just assumed you had a turbo and were going to stud it.

I would pull the engine if it were me, but people argue back on forth to do it in or out of the vehicle. FYI if you dont want studs, it a royal PITA if not impossible to put the studs in, in the vehicle.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:20 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by styger
One of the guys was recommending something called Bars and a ceramic sealer to fix coolant leaks.
No.
No.
No.
NOOOOOOOOO.
Really, NO.

Seriously, if you have coolant leaks, fix them right.
For radiator leaks, epoxy/JB weld is a perfectly good solution.

Bars leaks is NOT.

I used some of that **** one time. It's been three years, the engine getting totally rebuilt, a couple of flushes and I'm /STILL/ finding that brownish gunk in things.
Worst part is that it will stick to your radiator cap and keep it from sealing, so you'll end up losing all your radiator pressure. I've replaced my cap twice due to embedded crap in the rubber gasket keeping my system from building up any pressure.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:36 PM
styger
New User
Don't want to hijack

Originally Posted by Macrobb
No.
No.
No.
NOOOOOOOOO.
Really, NO.

Bars leaks is NOT.

I used some of that **** one time. It's been three years, the engine getting totally rebuilt, a couple of flushes and I'm /STILL/ finding that brownish gunk in things.
Worst part is that it will stick to your radiator cap and keep it from sealing, so you'll end up losing all your radiator pressure. I've replaced my cap twice due to embedded crap in the rubber gasket keeping my system from building up any pressure.
I don't want to hijack this thread but I have a new bigger problem. If you gentleman get the chance please look at this post I started. I need some solid advice on how to proceed.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15929270

Thanks

Old 01-09-2016, 09:32 PM
mroth2008
Tuned
No.
No.
No.
NOOOOOOOOO.
Really, NO.

Bars leaks is NOT.

Lol I used that stuff twice, first time because a customer needed it to keep their 150,000 generator going for a few more days, and second time because I really wanted to go mud racing and was worried since the truck was pretty well fu bared, but it didnt stop me from driving thier .

Old 09-21-2016, 10:58 PM
FordGuy100
Senior User
Just stumbled upon this. Thanks for finally giving is real data on putting larger threads into a 6.9 block. It really is interesting to see all of the old ways of thinking collapse with all of this new data.

In your calculations, it appears you are using the bolts minor diameter to determine clamping load. If this is the case, and if you are using the same P=T/KD calculation I am, a smaller bolt at the same torque will provide more clamping load (P). I guess I never actually sat down and thought that one through. Its interesting to see that we can get a 1/2-13 head bolt into a 6.9 block. Although the same calculation shows that with a larger stud, a higher torque rating will be required on a 1/2" stud to overcome the larger diameter than the 7/16" stud?

So the question I'm wondering, is if you can't drill/tap a 6.9 block all the way for a 7.3 stud, can they still be used as long as its tapped to the correct length? Wonder how much a set of 9/16" studs would run. I suppose the heads would need to be machined to accept the difference?

Old 09-22-2016, 03:57 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Justin tried this the DIY way and it didn't work out... read about it in his build thread starting on pg. 138 post 2067:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...build-138.html

Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
Well, Im finally throwing in the towel on the 6.9.

I got one side of the block drilled and tapped, and that all went well. A couple of studs weren't 100% perpendicular to the surface, but not enough to see with your eyes, just enough to interfere with putting the head over them. It wasnt enough to interfere with putting the studs in
after the head was on, just before. That would have been fine with me, but when I was running the bottoming tap through all the holes to finish them, I mildly cross-threaded one because the tap was hanging a bit on the counterbore. It would probably work, I haven't put any torque on it yet, but sometimes you just gotta let reality slap you in the face. Ive been trying to salvage this 6.9 since I blew the gasket, and we all know I have more than your average IDI'r into the bottom end, but I think its time to cut my losses and build my IDIT. I literally have $1000 into the 9/16" studs and tooling to try and make them work...If I was to sell these studs, they would be around $600, Your probably going to be at least another $400 into machine work just to make the studs work... At the end of the day, You can sleeve down a 7.3 for that much money.

Now I don't want people to get that it is impossible out of this. I think it can be done, I will keep my studs, and maybe someday I will continue this with a 6.9 block, but as far as I am concerned, the Juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:59 PM
FordGuy100
Senior User
I remember reading that now. Oh well

Old 09-22-2016, 04:04 PM
mroth2008
Tuned
I toyed around with it too, I have half a 7.3 block done so far being to busy with other things, everything looks straight as far as I can tell anyways. But I was going to bolt it done and not do studs, the bolts I was looking at it was about 150-200 for a complete set. And if I remember right he had to helicoil the 6.9 block otherwise it would crack. The 7.3 idi non turbo block I did seemed to hold up and not crack and I torqued to 190 ft lbs.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
When I get a chance, I'm going to look into upsizing a block to like 9/16 or 5/8, and just use (cheap) grade 8 bolts. I'm thinking I can probably modify a drillbit to follow the existing hole fairly well, and if I can use a guide plate to start the drill and tap, I shouldn't have too much trouble keeping things straight.

I've got a siezed 6.9 block with a large crack in the side which probably isn't good for much other than such tests, so...

Old 09-23-2016, 03:58 AM
southern-old-bold
Senior User
When I get a chance, I'm going to look into upsizing a block to like 9/16 or 5/8, and just use (cheap) grade 8 bolts. I'm thinking I can probably modify a drillbit to follow the existing hole fairly well, and if I can use a guide plate to start the drill and tap, I shouldn't have too much trouble keeping things straight.

I've got a siezed 6.9 block with a large crack in the side which probably isn't good for much other than such tests, so...
Socket head cap screws are grade 10

Old 09-23-2016, 06:40 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by southern-old-bold
Socket head cap screws are grade 10
I didn't know this.
Just checked and yes, cap screws per ASTM A574 are 180K tensile, which is above grade 8 by a bit. That's a good way of going, then...

Old 09-23-2016, 09:45 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't know this.
Just checked and yes, cap screws per ASTM A574 are 180K tensile, which is above grade 8 by a bit. That's a good way of going, then...
They make grade 12 bolts as well, idk if you could find the specific size you need. But it's food for thought...

Old 09-23-2016, 09:51 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Why not ARP studs out of curiosity? Price?

Quick Reply: Head Bolt/Stud Tech thread...