Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Remote start/alarm/keyless entry..

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:02 AM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Remote start/alarm/keyless entry..

Hey guys. I've seen a lot of questions regarding remote starters and which ones are for diesels. Well my wife had one installed in my truck for Christmas and I thought I would share in case anyone searched in the future. It's an Avital 5303 remote start/alarm/keyless entry. It has a programmable "wait to start delay",mine was set for a 30 seconds, it has a programmable run time, it also has a turbo timer. It comes with the standard remote as well as an LCD two way remote, and a shock sensor. Again I just thought I would put this info out there for future reference.

http://www.avital.com/products/product.aspx?id=5000

Old 12-31-2013, 04:37 AM
kefrko
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
Hey guys. I've seen a lot of questions regarding remote starters and which ones are for diesels. Well my wife had one installed in my truck for Christmas and I thought I would share in case anyone searched in the future. It's an Avital 5303 remote start/alarm/keyless entry. It has a programmable "wait to start delay",mine was set for a 30 seconds, it has a programmable run time, it also has a turbo timer. It comes with the standard remote as well as an LCD two way remote, and a shock sensor. Again I just thought I would put this info out there for future reference. http://www.avital.com/products/product.aspx?id=5000
How do you like it so far? I have been looking at a few for my truck. Code alarm and viper seem to make some nice diesel comparable set ups also. I will have to check out the avital

Old 12-31-2013, 06:02 AM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Can you program the WTS setting for longer?

I live in Alaska and when it is zero degrees out and my truck is not plugged in 30 seconds isn't going to be long enough on the glow plugs without a very rough start.

Hell it was 18* this morning, I let the glow plugs run until my LED turned off, cranked for several seconds. Gave the glow plugs another 30 seconds and then it fired up normally.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:07 AM
kefrko
Tuned
Originally Posted by 90pioneer
Can you program the WTS setting for longer? I live in Alaska and when it is zero degrees out and my truck is not plugged in 30 seconds isn't going to be long enough on the glow plugs without a very rough start. Hell it was 18* this morning, I let the glow plugs run until my LED turned off, cranked for several seconds. Gave the glow plugs another 30 seconds and then it fired up normally.
The units I have been looking at (I think) had a max of 45sec. It would crank for a certain amount of time and then repeat the cycle so another 45 sec of glow plug time if the engine didn't start on the first try.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:50 AM
Bigtruc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't seem too many people realize this but pretty much all remote starters will work with a diesel. I've been installing for about 8 years now & I haven't seen a brand yet that won't. Of all the ones I've installed my personal favorate is a brand called Autopage. Good quality, lots of features & the best range I have seen yet.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:46 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 90pioneer
Can you program the WTS setting for longer?

I live in Alaska and when it is zero degrees out and my truck is not plugged in 30 seconds isn't going to be long enough on the glow plugs without a very rough start.

Hell it was 18* this morning, I let the glow plugs run until my LED turned off, cranked for several seconds. Gave the glow plugs another 30 seconds and then it fired up normally.
It has been 18* here in the mornings and a 15 sec GP time is what mine is set at and it starts easily .

Mine is a skytech ( sp?) It has worked well for several years. Long range I have the 2 way LCD remote.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:28 PM
kefrko
Tuned
Originally Posted by Bigtruc
It doesn't seem too many people realize this but pretty much all remote starters will work with a diesel. I've been installing for about 8 years now & I haven't seen a brand yet that won't. Of all the ones I've installed my personal favorate is a brand called Autopage. Good quality, lots of features & the best range I have seen yet.
How complicated is the install on those units? Obviously for you with 8 years of experience it's probably pretty easy but for the average person with a moderate level of car knowledge?

Old 12-31-2013, 06:54 PM
Bigtruc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All depends on the vehicle, in our trucks its pretty straight forward. All you need is a good wiring diagram a test light & the ability to follow instructions & the average weekend wrencher should be able to figure it out.