1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

shift kit or trans cooler - opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 07:48 AM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shift kit or trans cooler - opinions wanted

Howdy everyone. Haven't posted in this forum for a while, I sold my '99 f150 to my father a couple years ago (needed money for college, blah, blah, blah..) Well Now that I have graduated college I was able to buy my '99 back from my father, as he purchased an '06 f250.

The truck in question is a 1999 f150 4x2 supercab short bed with a 4.2 v6 and a 4r70w auto transmission. The shifts have always felt sloppy since the truck has been in our possession, and I would like to ensure that the transmission will last as long as possible. I don't want to buy a superchip or any programmer, because frankly I'm not a fan and don't want one on my truck. I was thinking about getting a shift kit (looking at the transgo kit) but am unsure on whether this will improve transmission longevity (I know that it should improve the sloppy shifting). Also, are there any options of adding a transmission cooler relatively inexpensively? I have not messed much with automatic transmissions, I'm more of a stick guy. Any advice or information would be wonderful.

P.S. - Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

Old 12-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Spotty
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have debated that for years on my Mustang. My 1-2 shift has always had a flair. At WOT it shifts hard though. My friend owns a tranny shop and said the tuner will improve that sloppy shift, but like you, $400 bucks for a tuner .....not sure about that yet. He said the Transgo is a decent unit and will get those shifts firmed up for sure. I know you need to take out the valve body to do the shift kit. I think I will have him do it and I will just buy the kit. My 98 F150 has that sloppy 1-2 shift also, yet my 02 F-150 is tight....all the same transmissions. Good luck, I'm sure there will be more in put for you...

Old 12-25-2013, 09:09 AM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Thank you for your input. I guess I would like to hear some real-world experience from some of you guys that have used a shift kit in these transmissions. Installation, for me, is a non-issue. I have access to a car lift and any tools that I may need. I am also considering an auxiliary transmission cooler, and even possibly a remote-mount external filter.. If I could improve the life of this transmission by several thousand more miles, the few hundred it would cost for these upgrades seems like a moot-point.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:44 AM
clong
Senior User
You might consider reading this information and then make a decision on what to do.

TCCoA Tech Articles

Old 12-25-2013, 09:46 AM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Thanks for the link, I'll read through it.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Improving shift quality always improves transmission life where clutches and bands are concerned.
The soft shifting and flare is the (slip burning) of the clutch packs and bands (just before they lockup).
Soft shifting is the factory way of not offending the average owner with perceived hard shifts and is a combination of the PC program actions and the valve body operating characteristics.
A cooler would not help poor shift quality and not help transmission very much life under 'normal' driving because the cooling it done in the radiator to adequate levels by design.
If extra loading and towing is to be done then a cooler addition will be the prudent thing to do to drop the extra heat developed from those causes..
Lastly, know that making these changes on an aged transmission does not restore the life already spent from use and age.
There is no way to tell what extra life may be added from the changes but to just enjoy the results and feeing it may offer you.
Good luck.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:30 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Thanks for your input Bluegrass. I realize that I won't restore any life that has already been lost, I am just concerned with prolonging the transmissions service life. I don't pull heavy trailers, or often. I keep a 2" ball on this particular pickup, and at most pull a small mower trailer. Any opinions on a remote filter? I have never had one on a vehicle before, but seems very easy to install, and I don't see how it couldn't help.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Remote filter? if your referring to one in the transmission cooling line be careful you don't use lines to small. I'm not a fan of dong this for the little good it might provide.
The filter on the intake of the valve body prevents any debris from being picked up otherwise anything their goes to the bottom of the pan out of reach.
Most of it is grey clutch and band accumulation that normally occurs from wear.
If there is any metal, the trans is already at the point it needs to come apart for repairs, after being discovered.
Do the valve body shift improvement as the best return for your desires.
The mower trailer is not that big a load unless you get the loading in the 2 thousand pound range of total weight.
When I pull a 6x8 snow mobile flat deck trailer with lawn tractor on, I sometimes forget it's there at times on a long drive, as it is. Can hardly feel the towing load.
Can't see the trailer or back it up if it wasn't for the orange fiberglass poles I have mounted on the rear corners to see where it's going on backup..
You do what makes you feel good about it.
I just gave some real experience opinions from using a 4.6 towing over 12,000 pounds gross combined weights with equipage to do it with.
Good luck.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:49 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Thank you for your personal experience. I already have a truck for pulling heavier loads, and use it accordingly. This particular pickup however does/will not pull anything heavier than a lawnmower trailer, lightly loaded. I want to improve the shifting of this transmission, because I don't like how soft it is. I am reading into the "j-mod", but am uncertain on whether or not this will make a difference on my '99 f150's 4r70w. I am getting mixed results in searching.. I will keep reading.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Spotty
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I know each time this topic comes up about shift kits over at the 'Modded Mustangs" site, the "J-Mod" seems to be in favor.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:49 AM
skidmarks82
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by big-ugly
Thank you for your input. I guess I would like to hear some real-world experience from some of you guys that have used a shift kit in these transmissions. Installation, for me, is a non-issue. I have access to a car lift and any tools that I may need. I am also considering an auxiliary transmission cooler, and even possibly a remote-mount external filter.. If I could improve the life of this transmission by several thousand more miles, the few hundred it would cost for these upgrades seems like a moot-point.
i like my shiftkit.with n without chip.but prefer kit before chip-for it alows more fluid flow.u can then turn up shift pressure w/lessworries ish.n u get a flush filter change w/service .around $390 wen flush n filter runs $170 its self

Old 12-28-2013, 12:32 PM
skidmarks82
Tuned
im watching j/mod vid now nevr seen or heard of but interesting.hmm somtin to consider. uthink when u take your truck for servicing theyd try to sell these

Old 12-28-2013, 02:24 PM
skidmarks82
Tuned
So I watched some vids on kit n jmod n I gathered theyr almost the same thing some more goes into kit ,n spacers used where springs were removed ??? But jmod u only need drill n gaskets. Shift kit has lil more $ for do it yourself. I didn't revew enough to totally c what to do lack of videos. So next question is combine them ????