6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Looking for Clear Answer On Doorman Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:44 PM
tr0y
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Clear Answer On Doorman Oil Cooler

Hey All been a while since I have been here last; My 03 is seeing funny deltas, 20 to 40 degrees in the worst cases, in oil and coolant temps, so it is that time.

Oil Cooler Surgery, So now the question is Doorman or OEM, I have read and read with no real answers, what I have found out is people would rather get angry about a global economy, poor job market, health insurance, and guns than rather than discuss oil coolers.

1. Ok so if you have not seen in-person, used, or other wise have first hand experience with this cooler, you are not the right guy to answer this.

2. If your going to China-Bash I don't care, but you will not be helpful to getting a real answer.

3. Sometimes you do get a good product for a good price, remember the good ol' days people still fondly think about, they do still exist at times.

4. I am all for buying OEM if it is the best choice, Ford / IH / Navistar has not always made OEM the best choice.

So now if you don't think I am a total *****le; lets talk oil coolers ...

From the numbers sold in publicly available data Doorman has sold lots of these and I can't find anyone that will say "I installed this and it failed" I find greater numbers of "hey my OEM cooler failed", I find a lot of non-wrench spinning desk jockeys that bitch about China, and they must have a BPD set up

( don't get me wrong, if I had 3 grand for an oil cooler set up the BPD stuff would be in in a heartbeat)

Forgot to say that I have flushed / cleaned the motor, gone to red non-silicate coolant, have coolant bypass filter installed, etc ...

So let the games begin.

Thanks a billion in advance !

T

Last edited by tr0y; 10-29-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Fixed Typos - I am sure I missed more
Old 10-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got one in the mail today! Looks good in the box. I will be doing it next week or possibly this weekend.

I went with it since Dorman is an OEM supplier on many things. Like I told my wife as long as the cooling system is clean and has been flushed properly before installation what can the worst thing that could happen? Possibly changing it out if it clogs?

Old 10-29-2013, 11:59 PM
tr0y
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Restless, I would love a review when your done. I am headed out on the road for 10 days for work, the truck is going to sit while I am gone. Best of luck with the fix.

T

Old 10-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Well after spending my EGR delete $ on the rearend of the EX it will be a week or so before I do the swap.

I will update what the outcome is.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I had a buddy buy one and ended up not needing it, so I took it.

It looks pretty decent, gaskets are really nice. I would use it with no issues.

Josh

Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Bullitt390

Happen to have that cooler sitting here at work...

Old 10-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Carolina Rig
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am running a Dorman oil cooler in my truck.

When I did headstuds last February, I purchased one.

I think in short order I started second guessing my purchase, and also ordered the OEM cooler from Tousley.

Well, I began putting everything back together and the OEM cooler hadn't arrived yet, so I went ahead and installed the Dorman.

On the interstate, my deltas are 10-degrees on average with EOT at 200 and ECT around 190.

When I opened the package they had shipped the dorman in, everything was crammed in there so tight that the screen that goes in the sump under the cooler had punctured. I had a spare motorcraft screen and used it.

Otherwise, I has worked fine but I would probably just purchase the OEM (USA made) cooler if I had to do it all over for peace of mind.

I may do injectors this winter and if so I will install the OEM oil cooler I have stored away.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Lilpooh
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our local diesel performance shop stopped using the Dorman products on the 6.0. Too many issues. They also use to beta test the Dorman products for Dorman before being released got the public.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:26 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
What were the issues

Clogged oil cooler maybe the fault of the installer

I am really interested in how many Mixed

Old 10-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Lilpooh
Senior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
What were the issues Clogged oil cooler maybe the fault of the installer I am really interested in how many Mixed
The shop owner never gave me details. In general he complained about product fitment. He did bit¢h about dealing with the R&D reps and engineers when they shows up at the shop.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Lilpooh
Our local diesel performance shop stopped using the Dorman products on the 6.0. Too many issues. They also use to beta test the Dorman products for Dorman before being released got the public.
I would love to know the issues too. I mean Dorman is an OEM supplier to most car/truck manufactures in the States. They usually do not make junk parts.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
I would love to know the issues too. I mean Dorman is an OEM supplier to most car/truck manufactures in the States. They usually do not make junk parts.
I've heard of a couple coolers having misaligned mounting studs.

Josh

Old 10-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Lilpooh
Senior User
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
I'm going to see the shop owner tomorrow.

Dorman supplies most of the aftermarket parts. There headquarters is located here in PA.

Dorman Products, Inc. (Dorman) is a supplier of automotive and heavy duty truck replacement parts and service line products primarily for the automotive aftermarket.

http://www.forbes.com/companies/dorman-products/

Old 10-30-2013, 06:22 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,503 Likes on 1,739 Posts
Originally Posted by Lilpooh
I'm going to see the shop owner tomorrow.

Dorman supplies most of the aftermarket parts. There headquarters is located here in PA.

Dorman Products, Inc. (Dorman) is a supplier of automotive and heavy duty truck replacement parts and service line products primarily for the automotive aftermarket.

Dorman Products on the Forbes America's Best Small Companies List
Exactly. If they supply any OEM parts, I would be surprised. That said, we all know that some aftermarket parts are great (and some are not so great). I would be looking for folks that had over 100k miles on their Dorman oil cooler before feeling confident of its quality - but that is just me.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Lilpooh
Senior User
The shop owner wasn't there and the head mechanic didn't give any info. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Looking for Clear Answer On Doorman Oil Cooler