Sponsored by: Moser

LMC trim and weather stripping

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:17 PM
19-F250-78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LMC trim and weather stripping

I'm working on replacing the rubber and weather stripping in my supercab but when I was looking LMC's catalog they have different options for cabs with grooves for/without chrome trim and wide/narrow trim but I'm not sure what is what and what I have. I've asked a few people I know and they don't know either. LMC should have a picture in the front of their catalog around the index that shows what is what in my opinion so can anyone help me out?

Here's some pictures of the rear window in my truck currently.

Also has anyone installed an electric sliding rear window?

Old 06-27-2013, 09:31 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You have the weatherstripping without groove for molding for the rear window. The windshield has either a groove for wide molding, a groove for narrow molding, and without groove for molding. Most windshields will still have molding there if it has any. If you don't see anything and the rubber is smooth, than it's plain.

I don't have an electric slider, but I've heard they are pretty slick and requires it's own molding. LMCs, or any other rubber specific to these years won't work. Same for a new manual slider. You need to get the weatherstripping made for the new window.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Based on the pictures, I'd say you have the "plane jane" version without any chrome trim pocket. I bought a slider from LMC and a new rubber (without chrome trim) and it looks like yours except without the weather rot. My wifey and I installed it in about 30 minutes. It wasn't electric though. I'd spring for the little plastic tools they sell unless you have em, they are better than using screw drivers.

Oh, one more thing, your winder might come with some funky looking plastic tabs on the lower corners. Don't take em off, they help the rubber fit squarely against the cab opening. I thought they were for shipping and removed mine by mistake. Doh!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:44 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Another way to install the glass is to get some 1/4" nylon rope and some soapy water to spray the rope down and put it in the groove of the weatherstripping and leave the 2 ends hang down in the lower center long enough to grab a hold of. Have one person in the cab and the other outside. Place the window in the opening with the rope inside the cab and the outside person putting gentle pressure was the one on in the inside pulls the rope. The rope will pull the rubber flange over the metal. Spray the rubber with the soapy water before placing it in the opening. Take your time and you'll have it in. It took me and another guy about 10 minutes to put mine in. The grooved weatherstripping for molding can't be roped in so I was told by the glass pro, but the plain stuff can.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 PM
bassdude
Elder User
I've got a CW Lawrence electric slider sitting here ready to go in my 77 super cab. It didn't mention anything about a speacial gasket. guess I'll just have to try the one I got and see what happens.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:56 AM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bassdude
I've got a CW Lawrence electric slider sitting here ready to go in my 77 super cab. It didn't mention anything about a speacial gasket. guess I'll just have to try the one I got and see what happens.
I thought there was a difference and the dealer said I'd need their gasket, but your post made me curious so I went out to look and it does say will fit OEM style gasket. Guess the dealer just wanted me to get their gasket or they didn't know. Yhis was 7 years ago.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Poison Oil Racing
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bucks77ford
Another way to install the glass is to get some 1/4" nylon rope and some soapy water to spray the rope down and put it in the groove of the weatherstripping and leave the 2 ends hang down in the lower center long enough to grab a hold of. Have one person in the cab and the other outside. Place the window in the opening with the rope inside the cab and the outside person putting gentle pressure was the one on in the inside pulls the rope. The rope will pull the rubber flange over the metal. Spray the rubber with the soapy water before placing it in the opening. Take your time and you'll have it in. It took me and another guy about 10 minutes to put mine in. The grooved weatherstripping for molding can't be roped in so I was told by the glass pro, but the plain stuff can.
That's how I do it.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:41 PM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bucks77ford
Close to what did, except I used plastic coated steel cable and also had a set of suction cups to apply even pressure on the window. The plastic tool from LMC works great for getting the seal to flatten out completely against the truck

Old 06-29-2013, 03:56 PM
19-F250-78
Senior User
Thanks for the help guys, I'll get the new weather stripping ordered soon.