1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks
View Poll Results: What name would be best?
www.other.com, please insert a suggestion in your post
12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Truckfest web site idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,102 Likes on 819 Posts
Truckfest web site idea

OK, here's my thought; I want to set up a web site for our Truckfest events. It would really be a Truckstock/Truckfest web site. It's not that expensive to get a web site domain name, about $11 a year. I have a server set up for my business and truck page with plenty of room so there'd be no cost there.

I am not asking for contributions, just ideas and suggestions. I looked up just Truckfest.com and it's already owned, not used, and the price is $4100 so that name is out. I checked FTEtruckfest.com,Truckstocktruckfest.com and FTEtruckmeet.com are available for the $11 price.

Anyone have a suggestion for a different name?

I can manage the site and it could be used as a clearing house of sorts for our truck meets with maps, phone numbers, dates costs and most important, pictures of the events. I would also post suggestions from members. It would be a fairly simple site with hopefully information that would be helpful to those who attend, attended or want to attend.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good idea Bob. I voted for FTETruckMeet.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rojak
Good idea Bob. I voted for FTETruckMeet.
Same here!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:44 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Anything with "FTE" in it is bound to run into "issues"... if you see what I mean. (Edit: I'd bet the same for anything with "Ford" in it

How about an abbreviated version: TS-TF.com

Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
truckstock.com or www.Ford_Truckstock.com - It carries on the original idea and feel - Once you open the main page you can explain the intent and meaning

It appears that truckstock.com is already in use

Old 06-26-2013, 10:08 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Anything with "FTE" in it is bound to run into "issues"... if you see what I mean.

How about an abbreviated version: TS-TF.com
Ross, I thought about that but is "FTE" really a secured name or phrase? I'm thinking it's more of a general term coined by the members here. We'll see I get any attention for the power that be.

I personally like more generic ftetruckmeets, that would encompass Truckstock, Truckfest and any other incarnation of a meet. We all know Truckstock was the inaugural event that was the brain child of Doc and will always be held in the highest esteem and there is only one person who should be allowed to use it

What's the worst that can happen? The related posts that mention the site name get deleted?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Tha name FTE IS copyrighted, and would require Admin approval before it could be used......

Old 06-26-2013, 10:18 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Here's a thought... there is a company called Meetup.com that hosts websites for "clubs" for everything including photography, swing dancing, motorcycle riding, etc. It's a fairly nice interface, lots of features, and depending how you set it up, you can restrict what can be seen, who can see it, and who can join. If you are the coordinator or whatever they call it for a particular meetup group, you actually get some money, based on criteria I am unfamiliar with. AFAIK, there is no cost to set one up. Here's the main page for the Albuquerque area meetup's: http://www.meetup.com/cities/us/nm/albuquerque/

I think it's important to use some format that absolutely restricts who can see at least parts of it (like the where/when/etc), but may allow anyone to see the pictures generated.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Tha name FTE IS copyrighted, and would require Admin approval before it could be used......
Good to know. I should have known a company as big as Interstate Brands would have all the angles covered. Just like Ford and the NFL.

Well, that, I guess might have put a damper on that one. I wonder as long as we don't directly link the site to FTE or even mention FTE other than casual conversation, it would matter. I can see if we made direct reference to the FTE site to make it sound like FTE is sponsoring the events.

Does anyone know if Ken Weber, the founder of the FTE site had to get permission from Ford to use the Ford name in this web site? Also, Interstate Brands has a disclaimer at the bottom of the pages, does this clear them of any legal problems?

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.
Here's a thought... there is a company called Meetup.com that hosts websites for "clubs" for everything including photography, swing dancing, motorcycle riding, etc. It's a fairly nice interface, lots of features, and depending how you set it up, you can restrict what can be seen, who can see it, and who can join. If you are the coordinator or whatever they call it for a particular meetup group, you actually get some money, based on criteria I am unfamiliar with. AFAIK, there is no cost to set one up. Here's the main page for the Albuquerque area meetup's: http://www.meetup.com/cities/us/nm/albuquerque/

I think it's important to use some format that absolutely restricts who can see at least parts of it (like the where/when/etc), but may allow anyone to see the pictures generated.
Ross, that is a great idea, I'll have to check it out.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:11 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I just Google "FTE" and found a quite a few references to FTE not at all related to this site, I even font a fte.com and fte.org. Also a fteleaders.org and a fteinc.com. I doubt if there would be any trouble with using fte in a site name as long as I post the same type of disclaimer as Interstate posts to make it clear it's not part of the FTE site or sponsored by the FTE site.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Ross,

I just checked the Meet Up web site, they state their plans start at $12 a month. Like our truck meets I am trying to keep this as simple and cost effective as possible. I have the server space and can manage the site myself. I won't put information on the site that someone doesn't want posted.

For the meets I would post my email on the site and act as the clearing house for questions, passing them along to the presenter of the meet.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:50 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
How about "Fun Truck Events truck meets", a place for old Ford truck guys, and gals, to get together for fun and camaraderie, ftetruckmeets.com? Nothing to do with the Ford Truck Enthusiasts web site.

We'll just have to see how the voting goes. I'm going for something that would be easy to remember.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:42 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
No real reason to have it FTE-anything, IMO; some events include folks who aren't on FTE anyway. Couldn't it just be a separate page on your existing website? Can you make a log-in function on a particular page?

Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
No real reason to have it FTE-anything, IMO; some events include folks who aren't on FTE anyway. Couldn't it just be a separate page on your existing website? Can you make a log-in function on a particular page?
I just want something that will stick in your mind and that is simple to remember. If I had a separate page on my truck web site it would have to have the URL of www.fatfenderedtrucks.com/blah-blah.html, kind of a long handle to reminder if you want to do a quick log in or to tell someone else to check it out. This would be a entirely separate web site. Of course once it was bookmarked the URL really doesn't matter. I just know from experience with my business, which is the name of my company, I've had a couple of people tell me it's too long but I don't think so. I also know from all the surfing I do to locate parts and services that the simpler the URL the more likely I'll remember it when I see it on a truck or sign or when someone verbally gives me their web site address.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:57 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Old-Truck-Rallies.com?

Quick Reply: Truckfest web site idea