Sponsored by: Moser

I failed emission "AGAIN"

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:41 PM
ljcandme
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I failed emission "AGAIN"

Once again I failed my AZ emission test because of my (77 F100 Calif. 302 with a 2 barrel) vapor carbon canister. The technician had never seen a vapor carbon canister with a pluged port on the canister. I told them it was stock and that I have never changed it. They said they had never seen them plugged; one of the three ports is plugged. This time I have to take it down town to protest it and I will need some information to prove my case.
I posted July 2011 about the last time I failed emission
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ter-lines.html

Any information to prove my case would be greatly appreciation.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:47 PM
77Greene
New User
Thanks for posting this. I just identified my carbon canister and it appears to be disconnected. I'll need to see if this will pass emissions. The fuel tank was recently restored so I'm wondering if it was disabled at that time.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Xauterus
Senior User
Can you just run a tube somewhere around the carb. Just plug it with a ball bearing so it doesnt do anything. Will that satisfy them if its connected?

Old 07-16-2013, 07:05 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What are these "emissions" we're talking about here?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
What are these "emissions" we're talking about here?
Yeah I've never heard of these "emissions"...

Old 07-16-2013, 10:41 PM
77Greene
New User
I just found out that I don't need to have an emissions test to register or renew a tag here in Georgia either <insert very smug grin>.

I might like to fix the carbon filter EVAP system anyway as I understand it will help with rough idling etc.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:30 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 77Greene
<insert very="" smug="" grin="">I might like to fix the carbon filter EVAP system anyway as I understand it will help with rough idling etc.
Nope, not really.
</insert>

Old 07-16-2013, 11:35 PM
77Greene
New User
Originally Posted by fmc400
Nope, not really.
</insert>
So...What is it good for?The EVAP system not war. Although that's not good for much either! Is it simply for the sake of emissions and capturing fuel vapor?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:41 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 77Greene
Is it simply for the sake of emissions and capturing fuel vapor?
That's exactly what it's for.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:08 AM
thefenderbender
New User
The just got rid of our IM (like an emission's test) last winter. When it was still around you could apply for a waver for seasonal items - like RVs or the older vehicles that are only drive in the April - Oct time frame. So we never had to worry about our old stuff much, they typically never hit the street till snow was gone and sand swept up; mid-May and they are usually up by the time the rain hits good and colder temps come in; late-August.

I still feel your pain though. Here once you start doing motor swaps you would fail visual inspection and it was a pain in the butt to get a waver. Some folks would try to use an out-of-town, but in the state, address to get around it.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:51 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
I don't mean to sound critical or rain on anybody's parade, but now that my lungs are shot and I'm huffin & puffin on an oxygen bottle, I've developed an appreciation for these emissions tests. When I go for my twice daily walks I sure notice the vehicles that wouldn't pass emissions if their registrations depended on it. I used to find emission tests a real pita, buuuut some vehicles smell like gas stations as they drive by and the coughing fits they cause sure hurt like hell. I wish you luck passing emissions cause your doing what you can to pass them and thats appreciated by everyone that has copd. It's the axxholes that remove their dpf filter and egr's so that they can blast black soot every time they kick down their go pedal we can't stand. Good luck with your emissions tests and on behalf of everyone with rotted lungs I thank you for making the effort.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:32 AM
77Greene
New User
Originally Posted by privateer, eh
I don't mean to sound critical or rain on anybody's parade, but now that my lungs are shot and I'm huffin & puffin on an oxygen bottle, I've developed an appreciation for these emissions tests. When I go for my twice daily walks I sure notice the vehicles that wouldn't pass emissions if their registrations depended on it. I used to find emission tests a real pita, buuuut some vehicles smell like gas stations as they drive by and the coughing fits they cause sure hurt like hell. I wish you luck passing emissions cause your doing what you can to pass them and thats appreciated by everyone that has copd. It's the axxholes that remove their dpf filter and egr's so that they can blast black soot every time they kick down their go pedal we can't stand. Good luck with your emissions tests and on behalf of everyone with rotted lungs I thank you for making the effort.
Well Shucks. I kinda knew that but hadn't considered this when planning on what to do with my EVAP system. I certainly don't want my truck to cause any unnecessary damage to other people or the environment as a whole. I mean, I live in a city so there's not too much "environment" left around here anyway. I'm eager to learn practically everything I can about my new (old) truck so I'll go ahead and fix up my EVAP system out of consideration and the thirst for knowledge.

Cheers

Old 07-17-2013, 05:38 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Up here we've got these guy's with hot rodded diesels that are glorified smog factories and when they leave the lights theres a black cloud that follows them. My brother has a hot rod diesel and it don't blow that much soot, but then again he's been working on them for 35 years +. Maybe all those certificates on his wall mean something.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:45 PM
ljcandme
Junior User
Here is a quick up date for everyone. When I went back to retest there was a different person in charge this time. Both times I went it was early on a Saturday.The supervisor in charge at the time that I failed was a woman, not that that should make a different. But she is not familiar with the California 1977 F100 with a 302. The problem was she thought just because there was a place on the carboncanister for a second line that it should not have a plug on it.

That next Saturday that I went the guy that was supervising new the 302’s emission and was really nice about it. I left all the information that I had down loaded from the net with him to share with the lady who he said was his supervisor. He did say he would share the information with her.

Well the kicker is after trying to keep my oldtruck emissions working correctly I finely said forget it and put AZ. historical tags on it so I don’t have to ever get it emissions in AZ again. In AZ. a 25 year old vehicle can have historical plates and not have to have it smog.
Thanks everyone for the input

Old 09-08-2013, 07:49 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
I think your avatar is very appropriate.

Quick Reply: I failed emission "AGAIN"