Sponsored by: DP Tuner

hole in degas bottle

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:01 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
I've had the same Zippo lighter for 50 years. I try to buy things that last. If something fails, like the degas bottle did (remember most plastic will last in our landfill's till our Sun Supernova's) then why step in the same problem again for twice the cost?
I love Zippos... but the fuel thing.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying I avoid cheaply-made stuff:

Let's play with this for a sec.... Say I install OEM parts on Stinky at twice the price you pay for Dorman parts on your rig. You have a Dorman 7.3L and I have a Ford 7.3L. Put our trucks side-by-side on a long haul through the desert in the summer, on our way to vacationland. Deep in your psyche, which rig would you honestly rather depend on during your rare and much-needed annual vacation with your family?

One other factor I think of... our time is of value. I have a workday number for that value, as well as a number for my personal time. My degas went 13 years and started to crack, but never leaked. If the 1/2-price parts go half as long as the OEM, you're even-up on purchase dollars, but what about your time... or the ELC lost on the road? If Stinky was loaded up with the bargain parts, wouldn't I be turning the wrench more frequently than I already am? When I'm done with Stinky's terrible twos, I want things to be relatively quite at least until 400K-450K. I want a truck, not an erector set.

Will you see the Dorman start to fail the way my OEM did, or does it go without warning? Every time I try to save a buck on this rig, it ends up costing more money and labor than if I had done it right the first time. Maybe the degas is one of the exceptions to the rule... but how am I to know that before I see some survivors of these experiments?

Originally Posted by BWST
I saw this bulging cup tip on the cups I pulled later that had a leak.
I know when I seated mine, I had to really get on it before that wrench finally stopped "giving". My first concern was to get the holes in the cup and the head to mate up flush. This is where I hope to help by bringing the camera. I'll post a vid here to share with those who did not see my thread.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:23 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm on my third Degas bottle. OEM each time. They all crack in the same area. The last one is starting to show signs of fatigue. I'm ready to try something different. The next one will be a Dorman.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 474 Likes on 326 Posts
Any comments on what loctite to use? Am I putting too much importance to this? I see Loctite 680, 620 and 262 all mentioned in one writup or another.

I'm not going to get at this job this weekend or next. Clay is having another batch of tools made, and all the rentals are out. I'm going to see what the price is on a tool set from this new batch and go from there.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any comments on what loctite to use? Am I putting too much importance to this? I see Loctite 680, 620 and 262 all mentioned in one writup or another.

I'm not going to get at this job this weekend or next. Clay is having another batch of tools made, and all the rentals are out. I'm going to see what the price is on a tool set from this new batch and go from there.
I just got the whole cup kit including rental tool in today (took 3wks) from riffraf. They sent loctite 620

Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Really? I got 680 with mine from Clay. I'm tempted to try 620 this next time. That matches what Robin used.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:42 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Here's another injector cup tool option I found on ebay, with an associated youtube vid describing it's use. Price is not bad for what you get.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-3-POWERSTROKE-INJECTOR-SLEEVE-REMOVAL-INSTALL-KIT-/140797730800?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c832dff0&vxp=mtr#ht_759wt_1002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYpoz...ature=youtu.be

Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was going to buy that one from ebay if clay's did not come in this week, Clay said he thinks his is better because it presses the new cup in and does not use a driver and hammer. He did not say the other one is bad but pressing is better, patent pending

Old 05-23-2013, 01:00 PM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's another injector cup tool option I found on ebay, with an associated youtube vid describing it's use. Price is not bad for what you get.

7 3 Powerstroke Injector Sleeve Removal Install Kit | eBay

7.3 Power Stroke Diesel Fuel in Coolant replace the sleeves in the truck - YouTube
This "Angelo" set-up is the only injector cup kit I have experience with. A friends 02 had a cup fail well over a year ago. He went with that exact kit. It's been sealed and running great since then. IIRC, it doesn't include loctite though.
Clean, clean.... clean. And Rich's scope would be an excellent tool to have for the job.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:45 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Heck with it, I gave Clay a call and went with renting his tools. He's throwing in some 620. I've ordered a new set of cups, injector orings and copper washers. Hope to tackle this around the weekend of 6/15 unless the tools show up earlier, and depending on Ken's/Tugly's availability to supervise. Wish I was putting new sticks in, but darn it, the stockers are working fine.

Back to the topic, ordering the degas from rockauto as well.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Starting cup project now. Ken may be able to stop by. We'll see how it goes this time. My degas is full of diesel - cant see any coolant in it. Bottle is all yellow. Got new cups, loctite 620, new orings and copper washers for the injectors. Here we go...

Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Starting cup project now. Ken may be able to stop by. We'll see how it goes this time. My degas is full of diesel - cant see any coolant in it. Bottle is all yellow. Got new cups, loctite 620, new orings and copper washers for the injectors. Here we go...
I wish I was there. Did the pressure test reveal which cups didn't seal?

Old 06-22-2013, 12:42 AM
BWST
Got Data?
It did, Rich, darn it. #6 was leaking pretty good. All the others were tight and appeared to have a good line of loctite around each rim. I decided to leave them and just pull #6. Ken cleaned the bore much better I think than I did, using scotchbrite pads around a drill/extension to shine it up. He also used the scotchbright on the new cup to dull the glue surfaces. A little brakeclean and a shot of air and the bore was clean.

Starting to think its not so much the type of loctite as it was the cleaning and prep of the cups. I did like how the loctite260 went on thick.

That cup is curing now. I'll put it all back together tomorrow, and wait to fire it up late Saturday night.

Yea it would have been fun to have you here, but we got her done.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
The one thing that I went way over the top with - cleaning. No matter how many times it's mentioned on the forum, that's the one thing that trips everybody up. You are now the leading cup expert. I'll refer all cup questions to you... and if they don't heed your advice, I can scare the hell out of 'em by posting the link to my Stick-Up thread.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Jeff<

Here is the video I got of it. A good cleaning and polish of the camera lens should make for better video next time if needed.