Sponsored by:

Rear A/C blowing warm and front blowing cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 12:05 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul T
Has anyone changed the Thermostatic Expansion Valve (TXV)? I looked in the fan motor compartment in the rear and I am not clear where the location is and what has to come out to get to it. Please advise or a picture would be nice.
It's a brass colored rectangular metal box with tubes attached to it. I'll get a pic when I get a chance.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Its a small metal block with 4 lines connected to it that sits above the jack. Cant miss it. I haven't changed mine yet but will do it before winter. Too dang HOT out to do anything.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:55 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Here you go. The brass box in the middle.

Name:  ExpansionValve.jpg
Views: 33229
Size:  128.3 KB

Old 09-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Paul T
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys!!

Old 10-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Roscoe316
Freshman User
Opposite Problem

I have a similar but somewhat opposite problem with a 2004 Ex I bought just two months ago. When I have the A/C on in the front I cannot adjust the temperature for the rear. No matter what I set the rear temperature on (my controls or theirs) it comes out cold if I have the A/C selected. I don't know if this is normal or not. I like to be cooler while the kids in the back want warm air. The only way for me to get heat in the back is turn off the A/C in the front. Any ideas there or am I just out of luck and have to be hot if my kids want warm air?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roscoe316
I have a similar but somewhat opposite problem with a 2004 Ex I bought just two months ago. When I have the A/C on in the front I cannot adjust the temperature for the rear. No matter what I set the rear temperature on (my controls or theirs) it comes out cold if I have the A/C selected. I don't know if this is normal or not. I like to be cooler while the kids in the back want warm air. The only way for me to get heat in the back is turn off the A/C in the front. Any ideas there or am I just out of luck and have to be hot if my kids want warm air?
Sounds like the blend door for the rear. it;s on the rear right side,under the plastic thats under the window. easy to get to and easy troubleshoot/replace

Old 10-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Roscoe316
Freshman User
Thanks I'll try my trouble shooting there!

Old 07-02-2022, 08:12 PM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
New response to an old thread…

My front AC blows ice cubes and so did the rear as if yesterday.

Now today it just blows warm in the rear. I checked the copper looking block and it felt slightly cold to touch but no tell tale sign of the rear dripping condensation like a leaky sink

I parked the Excursion and let it sit for a couple hours. I restarted it with only the rear AC turned on, front off. The AC compressor was not getting cold or any lines coming off it. Should they be?

Turning the front on again the front lines start condensing and the front only gets cold.

Is there a fuse I need to look at? If so where?

If not what other simple things can I check before doing any major tearing apart?

Cheers in advance for your help!

Old 07-03-2022, 09:30 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by exbxtoy

Now today it just blows warm in the rear. I checked the copper looking block and it felt slightly cold to touch but no tell tale sign of the rear dripping condensation like a leaky sink

I parked the Excursion and let it sit for a couple hours. I restarted it with only the rear AC turned on, front off. The AC compressor was not getting cold or any lines coming off it. Should they be?

Turning the front on again the front lines start condensing and the front only gets cold.

If not what other simple things can I check before doing any major tearing apart?

Your rear expansion valve went bad that's why it only blows warm air in the back. You have to vacuum out the freon, change out the valve and fill the system back up or take it in and have someone else do it. I took mine to Ford and they did it.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:46 AM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
Your rear expansion valve went bad that's why it only blows warm air in the back. You have to vacuum out the freon, change out the valve and fill the system back up or take it in and have someone else do it. I took mine to Ford and they did it.
Sounds like a job I will leave to the pros. Any other items they replaced while having the system apart? I hear of some kind of filter on the orifice tube that can get clogged, but I have no idea how they system works. Do you recall about what it cost to have the expansion valve replaced and system recharged?

Old 07-03-2022, 10:16 AM
Tunafish389
More Turbo
Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

The rear won't turn on the compressor so your system could be working fine. There is only one compressor that goes to front and rear and is controlled by the front controls. So if ac compressor is not on in front it won't be on in rear.

If you had cold in the rear than maybe you just need to check the settings? The front rear setting will control the rear in all settings except the first fan setting. In first fan setting the rear controls will take over.

Old 07-03-2022, 10:33 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Sounds like a job I will leave to the pros. Any other items they replaced while having the system apart? I hear of some kind of filter on the orifice tube that can get clogged, but I have no idea how they system works. Do you recall about what it cost to have the expansion valve replaced and system recharged?
Yes if you have the system opened up you might as well replace as much as possible but that's just me. Orifice tube is cheap and maybe charcoal canister. I don't remember how much it cost because it's been so long ago. I only bought the Ford part because it came with a 2 yr warranty. I try and stay away from Dorman parts.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-03-2022, 02:12 PM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
Yes if you have the system opened up you might as well replace as much as possible but that's just me. Orifice tube is cheap and maybe charcoal canister. I don't remember how much it cost because it's been so long ago. I only bought the Ford part because it came with a 2 yr warranty. I try and stay away from Dorman parts.
Besides the orifice tube and charcoal canister and of course the expansion valve, what other items should I add to the list?

Old 07-03-2022, 04:06 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Besides the orifice tube and charcoal canister and of course the expansion valve, what other items should I add to the list?
All depends what you want to spend. It can get expensive. If your system is all original and nothing has ever been replaced then I would replace all components under the hood even the compressor. But if your compressor is fairly new then I would replace it. How dirty is your AC condenser? It's really up to you on what you want to spend.

Old 07-03-2022, 05:22 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
little know fact is the rear also has a filter/strainer.

it is located in the small line before the txv valve right before the spring coupler under the body

The following 3 users liked this post by pirate4x4_camo: