Connect factory back-up camera to aftermarket head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 04:46 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connect factory back-up camera to aftermarket head unit

I know this subject has been covered but I cannot find it through a search.

I have a 2010 tailgate with the camera in it. I am looking to install an aftermarket DVD head unit.

I need to know what is involved with getting the video signal from the camera to the back of the head unit. I understand that the camera power is always hot (key-on, I would imagine).

I am sure there is a connector on the camera that should plug into a factory harness but my truck is a 2002 and therefore doesn't have this harness.

Do I need to modify an RCA cable to fit? Anyone done this?

Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 PM
madsonp
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
You should have 5 wires coming from the camera and should be as follows. You'll want to verify the colors on your particular camera. White/brown-(12 volt), black-(ground), white/green-(video+), brown/violet-(video-), and black/white-(will not be used). White/brown goes to a switched 12v such as power from your reverse lights, black goes to a good ground. The video wires you run to a cut off end of an RCA cable, the white/green (video+) goes to the inner wire of the RCA cable, the brown/violet (video-) goes to the outer wire of the cable. Then just plug the RCA to your camera input on your head unit. The camera is only powered on when it receives power from your reverse lights, and not all the time like you mentioned. The reverse signal you can get by tapping into one of your backup lights wiring, grounding you can do anywhere, so alls you should have to do is run two wires to the front of the truck for your RCA connection to the head unit.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:33 PM
xpl0sive
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did this, I picked up the signal off the wiring that goes to the rear view mirror. I'm getting pretty bad interference on the screen. It looks like the factory wires were shielded with some kind of tinfoil looking material. I will try to re-shield where I tapped into them and hopefully the problem goes away

Old 10-11-2012, 06:58 AM
Slowlearner
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xplosive:

I also did this and forgot to shield the RCA cable that I used. I get minor interference and only with the truck running. You may have run your wire near a high current conductor which is why you are getting more interference. When I get time I will pull mine out and shield it. I'll let you know the outcome.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:29 PM
xpl0sive
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
what material can I use to shield the wire? i think it just needs to be shielded where the connection is made... i was thinking about just using tinfoil lol

Old 10-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Slowlearner
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tinfoil will work. Alternatively you can purchase foil tape like this:

Foil Tape | The Home Depot - Model#:3220020500

As long as you used a shielded RCA cable for the connection then yes, you will only need to shield the connection. If you did not use a shielded cable, then you will need to wrap it also.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Bearcat1990
New User
Another easy option instead of cutting/soldering and trying to re-insulate an old RCA cable is to use a item that car stereo installers use all the time for adding amps called an "RCA line level converter". You can pick them up at Stereo shops for anywhere between $6 bux and $20 bux each.

Or, you can order them up for as little as $3.99 on a Buy-It-Now basis with no tax and free shipping from fleabay. (Just checked: correct as of 10-18-12)

They works like a champ and provide no "electronic noise/interference" at all....nice & clean.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:14 PM
c0nn0r.brown
New User
Originally Posted by RUNVS
I know this subject has been covered but I cannot find it through a search.

I have a 2010 tailgate with the camera in it. I am looking to install an aftermarket DVD head unit.

I need to know what is involved with getting the video signal from the camera to the back of the head unit. I understand that the camera power is always hot (key-on, I would imagine).

I am sure there is a connector on the camera that should plug into a factory harness but my truck is a 2002 and therefore doesn't have this harness.

Do I need to modify an RCA cable to fit? Anyone done this?
So I bought a 35 ft rca with the power wire from the head unit, through the floor panels, out a grommet at the end of the cab, along the frame rails, and to a 4 pin connection. The 4 pin was for the 12v running to the reverse light(black with pink stripe), the video +(the inner wire of the rca if you are directly splicing), the video -( the outer generally plain copper wire surrounding the video +), and a ground. Your power should go into the back of the head unit for your reverse to come in when you put it in gear. Rca is straight forward and plugs into the female connection on the rear of the head unit.