Need some help wiring new Pioneer head unit.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Gundown64
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Need some help wiring new Pioneer head unit.

Ok, I've gotten a new Pioneer AVH-3300bt head unit and I am trying to wire the wires from the head unit to the wiring harness I bought. I've gotten most of them, but I need help with the rest. I have the audiophile system with the amp in my truck, too.

Here is the harness I own - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

4 brown wires - they say all saw mute. I read on another F150 forum to simply cap those off.

orange/black - dimmer ground - read to cap that one off as well.

red and yellow wires - they came already spliced on the head unit wiring. Am I supposed to do the same with the harness and then splice all four wires together?

violet/white - reverse-gear signal input - This is on the head unit wiring. I believe this is only used if I have a back up camera. Well I bought one so I am going to need this. There are no instructions on were to splice this on the harness.

yellow and pink - yellow one is on the head unit and says mute. Pink is on harness and says phone mute. I think these go together, but colors are different so I am double checking.

Blue and blue/white - Ok, so the head unit wire is blue/white and says "System remote control" and in the manual it says: "Connect to system control terminal of the power amp or auto-antenna relay control terminal (max 300mA 12V DC)." I have a solid blue wire and two blue/white wires on the harness. There is a seperate plug that came with the harness (see picture in link for more info) that has the two blue/white wires, both are positive, that say "amp turn on +". Where do these go? The red ignition wire? The solid blue is for "power antenna" so that one looks like it connects to the head unit, but not sure.

Ok, I think that is it. Very sorry for the long post. Hope someone can help me out. Thanks in advance,

Colby.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:44 PM
whitechocolatefrogs
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue solid- remote wire for an external amp (tells it to turn on)

Blue/white- for an antenna that goes up and down (power antenna), you wont use this.

violet/white- should connect to your back up camera

orange-connects to the dash dimmer when you turn on your headlights

Black-ground

Red- power

Thats a pretty nice head unit, let me know how you like it and if you have any more problems installing it.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Gundown64
Senior User
So I went ahead and wired it according to what I assumed in my above post with some exceptions. I connected the red with the red and the yellow with the yellow. I did not place them together as now I understand that is not correct. Not sure why they came together from Pioneer though. I spliced the yellow and pink wires together. I didn't get a chance to test that out however. I put the two solid blue wires together and then wired the two positive blue/white wires to the red ignition wire.

So far, everything seems to be working fine. Audio quality is much better, especially the bass, even with the stock bass it has quite a kick. The only problem I have run into isn't even dealing with the radio, it's my tuner. Since wiring all of that up, my tuner (Edge CS) screen now flickers and it has a faint beep noise. This only happens when the radio is on. What could be causing this? To much power somewhere? I know it has to do with my wiring, but not sure where to go from there. Any info is appreciated and please still answer my above questions if you can as all those connections were done off assumption, which usually isn't good, lol.

Originally Posted by whitechocolatefrogs
Blue solid- remote wire for an external amp (tells it to turn on)

Blue/white- for an antenna that goes up and down (power antenna), you wont use this.

violet/white- should connect to your back up camera

orange-connects to the dash dimmer when you turn on your headlights

Black-ground

Red- power

Thats a pretty nice head unit, let me know how you like it and if you have any more problems installing it.
Hmm, ok. I think you have the solid blue and blue/white wires mixed up though. The blue is for a power antenna and the blue/white is for an amp, which I have. I've hooked it up so far and it seems to be working ok. The orange is orange and black which is the dimmer ground and is apparently not used. I don't think the violet connects to my back up camera. The only wires it has are a yellow video cable and a red and black for power. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:40 PM
boulderguy
Senior User
Actually the solid blue is to trigger a power antenna, it may only go live when FM is in use. To trigger an amp use the blue/white (b+).

The 4 brown wires are probably speaker grounds...?

Red 'should' be switched 12v+, yellow 'should' be constant 12v+ (for memory)

orange is usually a dimmer lead but it's typically +. Test this. If positive it'll connect to a + dimmer input on headunit. Do you have an orange/white too?

yel/pink - I wouldn't use unless you want phone muting.

purple/white - needs a trigger from transmission to tell it when you're in reverse, thus activating rear view camera. You need the appropriate wiring diagram for your truck to locate this signal, usually negative.

We're just guessing at these connections based on what's typical & your descriptions. If you want to be really sure, post wiring diagrams for your truck, for the harness & the rear view camera. Just google "wiring harness pinout schematic (schosche, ford, etc)" - some combination of those terms & you'll find it.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:42 PM
boulderguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gundown64
I put the two solid blue wires together and then wired the two positive blue/white wires to the red ignition wire.
ACK! Disconnect immediately!! This is why you're getting weird stuff with radio and it can seriously fry your electronics!

Old 12-23-2011, 04:50 PM
whitechocolatefrogs
Junior User
Sounds like you wired it good. They like to swap the blue and blue/white sometimes. Is the blue/white on the head unit? If so it should go to the amp, not sure where that is on yours though. The violet is so the camera knows your in reverse. You might have to splice that somewhere odd. Im asking my friend to make sure on this though so your amp doesn't stay on all the time or anything strange. He's kind of an audio nut so he know a lot more than I do.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:55 PM
whitechocolatefrogs
Junior User
I agree with boulder guy, it's a lot easier when there is a picture.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Gundown64
Senior User
Originally Posted by boulderguy
Actually the solid blue is to trigger a power antenna, it may only go live when FM is in use. To trigger an amp use the blue/white (b+).

The 4 brown wires are probably speaker grounds...?

I read on another f150 forum to simply cap them off and not use them. May need more info on those.

Red 'should' be switched 12v+, yellow 'should' be constant 12v+ (for memory)

That is correct and I have wired as such.

orange is usually a dimmer lead but it's typically +. Test this. If positive it'll connect to a + dimmer input on headunit. Do you have an orange/white too?

I've already wired the orange/white into the harness. Didn't get a chance to see if it worked or not though.

yel/pink - I wouldn't use unless you want phone muting.

Alright.

purple/white - needs a trigger from transmission to tell it when you're in reverse, thus activating rear view camera. You need the appropriate wiring diagram for your truck to locate this signal, usually negative.

Alright, thanks.

We're just guessing at these connections based on what's typical & your descriptions. If you want to be really sure, post wiring diagrams for your truck, for the harness & the rear view camera. Just google "wiring harness pinout schematic (schosche, ford, etc)" - some combination of those terms & you'll find it.

ACK! Disconnect immediately!! This is why you're getting weird stuff with radio and it can seriously fry your electronics!
Ok, but let me re-explain it to make sure you understand it right. I may have explained it bad. There is a blue/white wire on the head unit that is the "system remote control". I wired that to the solid blue wire on the harness that is said to be for "power antenna". That does seem wrong and if so do you know were they go?

There are two more blue/white wires that are for "remote turn on (12v+)" that are on that separate plug that I believe is for the amp? I wired both of those to the red "ignition/switched" wire.

On another bad note. I think you may have been right in some ways. I went back outside to start my truck after all of that and now it won't start. It's trying to crank, but it's not. I'm hoping it is just a dead battery and not something worse. I'm hearing noises I have never heard before so I am worried that I may have done something bad. Thanks for your input!

Old 12-23-2011, 05:14 PM
whitechocolatefrogs
Junior User
Put the two blue/white wires on the radio and the harness together. Your battery is dead because the amp stayed on.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:19 PM
boulderguy
Senior User
At the risk of sounding parental, "Son, you can't just go connecting wires all ***** nilly just cos they're the same color."

In the 80's we got away with that But now with all the computerized functions in a vehicle, connecting the wrong two wires can literally cause thousands in damage, quickly.

Moral of the story, if you're not sure, don't connect.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Gundown64
Senior User
At the risk of sounding parental, "Son, you can't just go connecting wires all ***** nilly just cos they're the same color."

In the 80's we got away with that But now with all the computerized functions in a vehicle, connecting the wrong two wires can literally cause thousands in damage, quickly.

Moral of the story, if you're not sure, don't connect.
I normally would never do that, but I actually thought they might have been correct. I've been doing a lot of research trying to get these wired correct and I thought they were for the most part. I'm definitely not doing any more wiring until I know what's right.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Gundown64
Senior User
Put the two blue/white wires on the radio and the harness together. Your battery is dead because the amp stayed on.
The two blue/white wires power my amp I believe so those need power which is why I wired them into the red wire which is supposed to be a switched source as opposed to a constant one.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:55 PM
whitechocolatefrogs
Junior User
They aren't to power the amp, just tell it to turn on.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Gundown64
Senior User
They aren't to power the amp, just tell it to turn on.
Alright, I guess that explains a lot. So I need to wire the blue/white (remote turn on) wires into the blue/white on the harness, correct?

Sorry if I sound ignorant. I apparently just don't know as much about this as I thought.

Here is a diagram of what I have right now. Hopefully this will explain everything better. Click for big picture.

EDIT - And here is the manual for the head unit if you'd like to see it. The wiring is on page 78-79.
http://docs.pioneer.eu/Manuals/AVH_3...lation_manual/

Old 12-23-2011, 06:43 PM
boulderguy
Senior User

Quick Reply: Need some help wiring new Pioneer head unit.