1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Reading transmission fluid level?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading transmission fluid level?

Does anyone else find it difficult? Motor oil is easy, the line is plenty visible. However the level on the dipstick for the transmission doesn't seem to be distinct.. I changed the filter and gasket and drained the fluid from the torque converter and have put in about 10.5 quarts of fluid. I didn't disconnect the cooler lines but I changed the filter parked slightly uphill so maybe most of it drained too?

Am I doing something wrong or do I not have enough fluid if the line is not distinct? I see fluid on the dipstick but checking with the engine running I can't tell if it is fluid that just splashed up high on the stick or what...

Old 06-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sw1tchfoot
Does anyone else find it difficult? Motor oil is easy, the line is plenty visible. However the level on the dipstick for the transmission doesn't seem to be distinct.. I changed the filter and gasket and drained the fluid from the torque converter and have put in about 10.5 quarts of fluid. I didn't disconnect the cooler lines but I changed the filter parked slightly uphill so maybe most of it drained too?

Am I doing something wrong or do I not have enough fluid if the line is not distinct? I see fluid on the dipstick but checking with the engine running I can't tell if it is fluid that just splashed up high on the stick or what...
I'm with you - clean ATF is very difficult to see on the dip stick. But, I was able to see it in direct sunlight on the pickup. However, on my wife's Subie I never did find it. Yes, there was lube on the stick but no line. I can see it cold w/o the engine running but not with it running, and there is no mark for cold/not running. I finally gave up and decided it had to be right as I put the correct amount in.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:31 PM
82f100460
Posting Guru
I'm not sure what tranny you are working with but the C6 takes about 12 quarts with the T/C. I ended up putting almost 13 in before it was where it needed to be. For a 4X4 it calls for around 13 quarts. The AOD is in the same neighborhood.

I was having trouble finding my level at first too, then I realized I just didn't have enough in there.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
If you are adding fluid, you have to wait a few minutes for all the fluid to drain down the tube, or it will mess up your reading on the dipstick. Wait a few minutes, pull the dipstick out and wipe it off with a rag, and then stick it back in and then pull it out again. Twist the dipstick so you have a glare on it, and you can see the fluid will look shiny where the bare dipstick will look dull.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
What they said, just gunna add that tranny fluid doesn't "splash" like motor oil, and your better off with a little to little then a little too much.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I'm with you - clean ATF is very difficult to see on the dip stick. But, I was able to see it in direct sunlight on the pickup. However, on my wife's Subie I never did find it. Yes, there was lube on the stick but no line. I can see it cold w/o the engine running but not with it running, and there is no mark for cold/not running. I finally gave up and decided it had to be right as I put the correct amount in.
I'm glad i'm not the only one.

Originally Posted by 82f100460
I'm not sure what tranny you are working with but the C6 takes about 12 quarts with the T/C. I ended up putting almost 13 in before it was where it needed to be. For a 4X4 it calls for around 13 quarts. The AOD is in the same neighborhood.

I was having trouble finding my level at first too, then I realized I just didn't have enough in there.
C6, Yes. I read that it takes 12.5 quarts. However I did not disconnect the cooler lines so I don't know if it drained out the pan or if I still had a little bit of fluid in the lines and cooler. That being said, does the factory cooler have a capacity worth mentioning?

Originally Posted by Franklin2
If you are adding fluid, you have to wait a few minutes for all the fluid to drain down the tube, or it will mess up your reading on the dipstick. Wait a few minutes, pull the dipstick out and wipe it off with a rag, and then stick it back in and then pull it out again. Twist the dipstick so you have a glare on it, and you can see the fluid will look shiny where the bare dipstick will look dull.
Thanks for the tip. I noticed that when I look at the dipstick I can just barely notice a spot where it goes from dull to shiny, however farther down the stick it seems that there is more fluid on it. So I guess this is simply from some fluid running down the dipstick and the actual level is higher up where I can just barely see it go from dull to shiny? I guess you settled my.. thoughts? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Opossum
What they said, just gunna add that tranny fluid doesn't "splash" like motor oil, and your better off with a little to little then a little too much.
Thanks for the input.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
You may want to consider taking a wire brush or sandpaper to your dipstick, some scratches across it will make the fluid both stick better and easier to see.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:57 PM
82f100460
Posting Guru
don't know for sure, but I would imagine there could easily be a quart in the lines and cooler.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:09 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a tranny guy show me this little tidbit. To make fluid measurement more complicated, at least with the AOD, you need to look at both sides of the dipstick. The dipstick goes in at an angle on the AOD, so you need to read the lower of the two sides as your actual fluid level.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
I never worried about the cooler and the lines, and it always still took almost 13 quarts when I drained the converter.

Always go by the level where the fluid goes all the way across the dipstick. A little bit of fluid higher up, but only on one side is just where it's rubbing along the dipstick tube.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:22 AM
82f100460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I never worried about the cooler and the lines, and it always still took almost 13 quarts when I drained the converter.

Always go by the level where the fluid goes all the way across the dipstick. A little bit of fluid higher up, but only on one side is just where it's rubbing along the dipstick tube.

Same here, last time I drained the tranny and TC, I also did not drain the lines or cooler and it took 13 quarts.

Also common somewhere along the line for someone to have installed a deep pan, which will add another coulple quarts if that was done.