Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

What Models Have Two-Piece Drive Shafts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
There are actually people on the Mustang boards that have removed the factory top speed limiter on their 3.7 V6 and had their driveshaft explode because of it.
Yup, this. Here is a video of one such situation:

Old 12-10-2015, 10:15 AM
AZbluewhale
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 piece driveshaft

Getting back on topic here with some information that might help someone in the future.
Apparently, (judging from the posts in this thread and on the F150 board) there is no particular rhyme or reason why Ford used a 2 piece driveshaft on the F150. For every case where a 2 piece was used, you can find another identical truck (wheelbase, bed length, cab configuration) with a one piece shaft.
That being said, I just worked on a 2003 F150 5.4L extended cab with an 8' bed. It has a 2 piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing on the end of the front shaft. According to the machinest I spoke with at a reputable driveline shop, the 2 piece was used on the Harley-Davidson edition. Why, is anybody's guess. The truck I worked on is NOT a HD edition, however.
Now to the point of my post.
The carrier bearing (sometimes called a hanger bearing or center support bearing) on the 2003 F150 with a 2 piece shaft is Non-serviceable according to Ford. The chain parts places (Autozone, O'reilly's, etc, and even Ford dealers) show no listing for it. You CAN buy an aftermarket carrier bearing that is SUPPOSED to fit that is Autozone part number HB88107A. However, this will only fit on CERTAIN 2 piece shafts. If you try to install it on a 2 piece shaft and the rubber bearing cushions rub on the end of the driveshaft or the yoke, you will need to have those parts turned down on a lathe so that they will fit with the carrier bearing. Unfortunately, you can't determine if that's necessary until AFTER the bearing has been pressed on the driveshaft. After that, the bearing is usually (not always, if you're lucky) damaged when pressing it off.
So, the bottom line is that the HB8810A carrier bearing is the (acceptable) replacement for the non-serviceable (or discontinued or non-existant) carrier bearing on the 2 piece driveshaft. BUT you may need to have the shaft end on yoke machined to fit correctly. Best to take it to a professional shop to make that determination.
Hope this saves somebody some confusion and frustration in the future.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:34 AM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FoMoFun
Well, my 2010 SCrew, with 5.5' bed has a 2 piece setup. Go figure!

So does my 2011 2WD

Old 02-11-2020, 12:02 AM
bart weseloh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SRT
This question is related to the lengthy and long running threads on low speed shudder.

It seems from following those threads, that the problem is confined almost exclusively to models with a two-piece drive shaft; which makes sense, since the pinion angle will always be more severe with a two-piece.

So the question is: Which models have one-piece or two-piece drive shafts? Is there a simple rule-of-thumb -- like crew-cabs are all two piece and everything else is one-piece -- or something like that?

I'm ready to buy a new truck, and like most of you, I'm somewhat amazed that Ford has not dealt with this problem; from an engineering standpoint -- I'd think it would be a simple fix. There's nothing new or complicated about axle wrap. It appears to me that one way to avoid it is to avoid buying a two-piece drive shaft model.

I've owned a lot of Ford trucks; none have had two-piece drive shafts, except for an early SuperDuty (super cab & 8' bed) -- and predictably, the center splined slip yoke gave me some trouble -- although no shudder.

I could go crawl around a Ford dealer for an hour and figure it out, but I know some of you guys already broke the code on this; and if I'm wrong about thinking the two-piece drive shaft models are the problem, please tell me that too. Cheers
i had a 1990 extra cab 150 and to have i piece would have been really long