1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Sealed Headlights to composite

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 PM
dmustang
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sealed Headlights to composite

I have a 2004 E-250 van, is there anyone out there that can help with part numbers or where to go for parts for this conversion. the wiring harness and the brackets that hold the composites to start then I need the screws and the for the corner lights. etc etc etc

Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
What prompts this change---what do you hope to achieve?

I have a crash book that I can pull all the Ford part numbers you'd need----the header panels are the same whether sealed beam or composite so fit wise this should be an easy swap---if you don't count the expense of the composite headlights that is. Lots of downsides to this IMHO, others will disagree but I'd suggest you start noticing other vehicles with these headlights---they all tend to discolor and turn yellow after a short while, the cheaper the units the quicker this happens. Its not reversible since some of this occurs inside the housing and is unavoidable.

Anyway I can help with your part numbers and there is thread here on FTE about upgrading the wiring for this sort of conversion. Glad to help if I can!

Welcome to FTE BTW!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 AM
dmustang
Freshman User
A frontal collision for one and a lack of vision at night for the other. I've tried the newer silverstars with a little better results but I need more.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
the sealed beams in my trucks have always been enough. are yours properly aimed? poorly aimed lights produce horrible visibility, and often blind drivers in front of you

assuming you want to swap anyway, another low-cost option is a composite headlight unit that mounts just like your sealed beams. installation is just like changing a sealed beam headlight, and these units recieve a halogen bulb just like composites.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:29 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Josh is onto something and there was a thread in this forum with eBay links to those halogen/composite units---it would be the less expensive way and far far far easier to change too!

Here's a few links of this type of conversion: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eadlights.html, specifically post #8---follow that link.

Another thread to improve factory wiring for halogen lamps: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-for-30-a.html

Hope any of this is helpful!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:40 PM
dmustang
Freshman User
Not much help here. Thanks any way......

Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
JWA, IIRC the relay upgrade won't help on an 04, as i believe they already have relays like most modern vehicles, but in the older rigs, its night and day!

Dmustang, why not go with the "simple" swap, if you don't mind me asking

Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by joshofalltrades
JWA, IIRC the relay upgrade won't help on an 04, as i believe they already have relays like most modern vehicles, but in the older rigs, its night and day!
Thanks for that Josh!

I have a scanned image of the parts breakdown for the h/l units and all attaching hardware. It might not display clearly here due image size limits, trying anyway:

If that's not helpful try the full size image:

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x268/JWAPhotos/

Find the image, click on it and then click again for the largest view possible there.

Hope that's more helpful!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, w/o a doubt "others will disagree" & should. Let's stimulate objective discussion of the advantages of FORD's Aero-design headlights & attempt to set the record straight.

Originally Posted by JWA
Lots of downsides to this IMHO, others will disagree but I'd suggest you start noticing other vehicles with these headlights---they all tend to discolor and turn yellow after a short while, the cheaper the units the quicker this happens. Its not reversible since some of this occurs inside the housing and is unavoidable.
Wonder if anyone's opinion will suggest the light output of FORD's Aero headlights, when compared to stock sealed beams, is among the "downsides"?

Wonder if FORD's Aero headlights were named for their small, but significant, aerodynamic advantage?

Wonder how many "will disagree" w/the notion FORD's Aero headlights look better than stock sealed beams?

Wonder if the crystal clear original Aero headlights on my '92 Club Wagon & '98 F150 are aberrations to the claim "they all tend to discolor and turn yellow after a short while"?

Wonder if ads for plastic headlight treatments/polish are all rip offs & if even slight discoloration/yellowing from harsh detergent washing/chronic pollution is "not reversible"?

IMHO when dmustang said: "A frontal collision for one and a lack of vision at night for the other. I've tried the newer silverstars with a little better results but I need more." it made his E250 an excellent candidate for Aero headlights. Am confident he's already noticed Aero headlights on "other vehicles".

IMHO the only "downsides" thus far seem to be the relatively high cost of new FORD parts. This might be averted if insurance is involved & some liberty can be taken regarding P/N's. If not, I'd suggest combing self serve recycle yards for a good set of used Aero headlights. The swap itself is quite "simple" & "the corner lights" are the same. The biggest issue is splicing in headlight plugs.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 PM
dmustang
Freshman User
Let's hijack this thread for our own personal reason instead of just helping out with the question. The question was easy enough along with the reason why I made the change not on whether or not if you made the change. Stay on topic.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:59 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by dmustang
Let's hijack this thread for our own personal reason instead of just helping out with the question. The question was easy enough along with the reason why I made the change not on whether or not if you made the change. Stay on topic.
Thank you Sir---could NOT have expressed this any better myself. IF I've hijacked or run afoul please accept my apologies and understand my comments were/are based on what I know. Your Mileage May Vary is a wise, wise thought!

Did my image or link to the part numbers help in any way?

Old 05-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Rick1025
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeras ago I had a 90 Dodge van and I wasn't happy with the stock headlight output.I installed Hella replacement units that used H-4 bulbs.The glass is far superior to OEM and they could be lamped with an assortment of wattage sizes for output. The normal is 55/60(or something like that). I had 55/100 bulbs in them.In tne 17 yrs I ran that van,I was never stopped for any infraction regarding the lights.The beam pattern is far superior to any OEM.and you dont have to do major changes to the body panels to get them to fit.They just replace the stock ones.Because of the extra amps required for the hi-beams, I used relays to switch them. Rick

Old 05-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Mark T-TB
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO = A simpler and less costly option could be the Hella and Cibie "european" sealed beam headlights (with the H4 bulbs) as noted. I have been using these in many of my cars since the mid-70s. Theye provide a much superior beam patterns vs. standard sealed beams and at least as much if not better light than the newer Aero lights for visibilty.
Good luck with whatever the choice.