1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Rubber grommets loose

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:13 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rubber grommets loose

Hey all - I dont post too often here but Im on the superduty 7.3 diesel site all the time- Anyway, I have a 2006 E-350 with 5.4 litre. Was having a clanking in the front when hitting bumps in the road. Finally found the 2 rubber or hard plastic gromets that go through the front frame were out completely. The crossover stabilizer bar was metal to metal. I hammered them back in & it is def. better now, but my question is - What holds these in place ? Seems like something is missing to me. Thanks & sorry for the long post

Old 05-07-2012, 03:35 PM
95e150CW
Elder User
The stabilizer bar is held in place by bushings. The upper bushings have ridges on them that the clamps seat in.

The lower bushings are held in by some form of black magic (Seriously, try changing them some time!). They are interference fit and shouldn't come out unless you are intentionally trying to remove them.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:42 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by 95e150CW
The stabilizer bar is held in place by bushings. The upper bushings have ridges on them that the clamps seat in.

The lower bushings are held in by some form of black magic (Seriously, try changing them some time!). They are interference fit and shouldn't come out unless you are intentionally trying to remove them.

Thanks for the pics & the quick post - The lowers are the ones that were hanging out - I wonder if the dealership took them out when I had it in about a year ago & they installed a shock assist stabilizer bar. I have never messed with them. Do you think they are wasted since they were out or will hammering them back in hold up for me. Thanks again -

Old 05-07-2012, 04:02 PM
95e150CW
Elder User
Originally Posted by guitarpicr
Thanks for the pics & the quick post - The lowers are the ones that were hanging out - I wonder if the dealership took them out when I had it in about a year ago & they installed a shock assist stabilizer bar. I have never messed with them. Do you think they are wasted since they were out or will hammering them back in hold up for me. Thanks again -
If they work their way out again, they may be damaged. I would replace them in that case. For now, just keep an eye on em, when you stop for gas take a peek.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:11 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Will do - Thanks Bro

Old 05-08-2012, 06:05 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Here's another thread that might help too: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...gger-ones.html

Those I-Beam bushings are a real PITA the first time you change them--after doing it twice myself I opted for another front sway bar design that eliminates that type of mounting point. On the whole though the factory front bar is sufficient for most drivers, assuming the bushings are in good order. Changing them to urethane is the best policy IMHO, Prothane products were my choice.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:48 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Thanks for the link JWA -Drove it about 20 miles today & got out to check them & they popped out again. This van only has about 48k on it. This must be a pretty common problem. Guess ill give the urethane's a try. Thought about a couple worm gear clamps on the back side of the bushing but that probly wouldnt hold for long.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
The bushings in the I-Beams are steel encased and pressed into the I-Beam---hammering them in will either damage them or simply wear your arm out. There obviously is a tool or process used to replace the stock style as this has to be a common problem.

The urethane parts can be installed in the driveway if necessary--only takes a bit of compatible grease and a rig of your own design and build to press or pull them into the I-Beam. U clamp bushings are easy as can be.

Here is a Prothane link, Amazon: Amazon.com: Prothane 6-1151 Red 1" Front Sway Bar Bushing Kit: Automotive

Hope this helped even a little!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Oh yes it helped JWA -I ordered the new prothane bushings -They are on the way - I will make a puller with some all-thread rod & washers per the thread. Prothane said they include the compatible grease for same. Thanks to all who replied. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:33 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Glad to hear this Picker----BTW what kind of axe do you pick? I've got a fleet of G&L ASAT's pre-BBE ownship, one even signed by Leo Fender. Also have a Japanese Buck Owens Tele, completely unplayed and the original brass pick guard has been personally autographed by Buck his own self!!

If I read your posts correctly the original bushings are completely missing---even the steel shells? If that's the case this will be somewhat easier as I had a tough time with hammer and chisel getting the OEM's out.

Do be careful when tightening the U clamp frame bolts----one of mine stripped out quite easily. Its since been repaired and working fine but what a disappointment even when being careful to not over tighten anything.

Let us know how this goes----always good to hear of others experiences!

Old 05-10-2012, 02:12 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

JWA - I've got a Dean 6 string acoustic( my favorite camping guitbox) and an Ibanez Prestige electric with the Wizard neck - Recently sold my Fender American Strat - Still kicking myself for that one but I actually made money on the deal,& enjoyed it for several years b4 selling it. That Buck Owens sounds cool. Never played a tele but like the sound- One of these days! Btw I do still have the bushings(they just keep coming out ) & the shells are still in place, so it should be a pretty easy replace- I Hope - I'll update after its finished - Thanks again & keep pickin

Old 05-12-2012, 05:21 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Well - Got all the new bushings installed - Those lower ones are a SOG to say the least - First one took me about 2-1/2 hours to get installed - Kept wanted to go in ****-eyed. Second one wasnt much easier. Then finally I thought I'm home free, the easy part. Not quite - The sway bar install was another story. Those prothane bushings are tight & kept pushing the sway bar back out. Then I went to my shop & got my trusty 3/4" pipe clamps. This did the trick- Did each side a little at a time & viola- She rides like a new one again, no more klanking every time you hit a bump. Thanks for all the help here on this one !!