1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

79 F-100 inline six starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 PM
coleboy11
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
79 F-100 inline six starting problems

I replaced the ignition module today thinking it would get my truck going, but I never got it to start. It is definitely getting a spark as it shocked the **** out of me when I checked a plug for spark. I had removed the distrubutor a few weeks prior to examine it when I couldnt get it to start, but I didnt rotate the engine at all and am fairly confident I put it back where it belongs. Its getting gas and a spark and it backfires and even spit flames from the carburetor a couple of times while attempting to start. I am at wit's end with this beast...Please help.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 PM
70-360fe
Elder User
Maybe one of the spark plugs wire/s got switch. Spark plugs and wires in good shape. Is timing off. You could check correct dist installation by turn engine with a wrench and line up rotor at number one plug tdc. This will also help check timing chain if rotor does not response with turning of the motor could be a little loose.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:17 PM
coleboy11
Senior User
thanks for the reply, could you go into detail about the timing and top dead center, etc...where the 1 piston on the distributor should be facing, etc. thanks

Old 05-06-2012, 07:15 PM
tmcalavy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crawl under your truck and find the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley and mark it so you can see it...with chalk, etc. Then pull the plugs out and turn the engine by hand until the timing mark that you found and marked lines up with the timing pointer/indicator. Then pull the dist. cap and check to see where the rotor is pointing...it should point to the tower/plug wire on the dist. cap that is wired to No. 1 cylinder/sparkplug. If not, the engine is not in basic time...sounds like from what you describe...popping, backfiring, etc.
Your firing order is stamped on the intake manifold...153624, No. 1 being the front cylinder. When the timing mark is lined up with the timing pointer, the rotor under the dist. cap should point to the tower/plug wire for No. 1 cylinder on the dist. cap. And it should fire the No. cyl. on the compression stroke...to find the compression stroke, put your finger over the No. 1 sparkplug hole, turn the engine over and you'll feel air pressure under your finger as the cylinder rises on its stroke...at the top of that stroke, the timing mark and pointer should line up and the rotor should be pointing to the No. 1 plug wire/tower on the dist. cap.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:31 PM
70-360fe
Elder User
Find your number one spark plug and take it out. Take kleenex or some thing similar and gently put it in the spark plug hole. Make a mark where the number one wire goes on dist.. Take the dist cap off so you can see the rotor. Get a socket and a braker bar or a large rachet with a socket and turn the engine over by hand by the harmonic balance. Watch the rotor as you turn the engine over by hand, there should be not slack between the turning of the engine and rotor movement. If there is slack when turning over the timing chain is loose and may need to be replaced When the kleenex pops out you should be at tdc check and see if the rotor is pointing at the number one mark you made on the dist. Look at the harmonic the timing mark should be at zero. If harmonic balancer is at zero setting and the dist is pointing oppisite the mark you made you are 180 degrees out and need to turn the dist to point at the number one mark you made. Sounds like alot of work but it really pretty easy and does not take that long. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ok looks like someone types faster than me, good luck.

While your doing this check the cap rotor wires etc. and make sure they are in good shape.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:15 PM
coleboy11
Senior User
Okay thanks for the reply. It all seems pretty straightforward except I am confused about the harmonic balancer. What is it? Is it the crankshaft pulley? Where exactly should the timing marks be located? One on the crankshaft and one on the block? I should get a Hayne's manual, but I just spent my last thirty on the damn ignition module! hehehe...Any pictures?

Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 PM
70-360fe
Elder User
[quote=coleboy11;11801098]Okay thanks for the reply. It all seems pretty straightforward except I am confused about the harmonic balancer. What is it? Is it the crankshaft pulley? Where exactly should the timing marks be located? One on the crankshaft and one on the block? I should get a Hayne's manual, but I just spent my last thirty on the damn ignition module! hehehe...Any pictures?[/quote

The main pulley that runs the alt etc has the harmonic balancer connected to it. Round solid piece of metal about an inch thick. On the harmonic balancer there is a line can be sometimes hard to find. The line is used to set the timing. I will try to get a video from ytube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9cHp9ajQjU

The timing light is pointed at the harmonic balancer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZxsp...eature=related

Old 05-07-2012, 10:49 AM
coleboy11
Senior User
Thanks for the videos, that helps alot. So I went out there today and found the balancer nut quite inaccessible and so I turned the radiator fan, but the pulley seemed to spin without the belt from time to time. I will have a helper later, but my question is this: Once I have the mark on the balancer lined up with the pointer and have the 1 piston at top dead center, what should I do if the rotor is NOT pointing to 1 on the distributor cap? Should I turn the rotor or what? Thanks for bearing with me.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:42 PM
coleboy11
Senior User
Okay I got it started and its back in basic time, but you can tell the timing is not precisely where it should be. How do I fine-tune it? The acceleration is a bit choppy, but its driveable and I am totally happy about that, just figured I get it where it needs to be though....

Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 PM
tmcalavy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So was the rotor pointing to No. 1 on the dist. cap when you aligned the timing mark and pointer? Just curious. You fine tune the timing by getting it started, loosen the dist. hold down nut/bolt, then gently turn the dist. a little and listen to the engine...you should find a sweet spot where it runs better, then hold the dist. tight with your hand and tighten the dist. hold down bolt. After you sweeten it up, go back and do some basic tuneup stuff...check plugs, wires, etc.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 PM
coleboy11
Senior User
No, the distributor was off a half circle, so I re-adjusted it accordingly. I was trying just now to do what you said and spin the rotor cover and get it right, but I haven't gotten much results but I will try again tomorrow. The two times I test drove it, it actually rode like crap, but like a said tomorrow is a new day and my neighbor is supposed to bring a timing light, although I wish I was well-cultured enought to do it by ear! hahaah