1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Want your thoughts on tranny flush and coolant flush at dealership.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Want your thoughts on tranny flush and coolant flush at dealership.

So when I first got my Ex in 12/2010 with 99k on it, the first thing I did was take it to the dealer and have the tranny fluid flushed. I tow about 6-7k pounds a couple times a month on average, and lots of highway miles. I planned on doing it at 130k and I was at 129,859 when I took it in. (I am actually kind of a maintenance nerd, if you will). I was getting ready to go on another tow trip and just didnt have the time to tackle it myself. I hadnt done a thing with the coolant since I bought it so I had them flush that too. They also do a BG Product Trans Service and BG Cooling flush. This came to $358 total. According to the receipt, it was $80 worth of Mercon V and $52.50 worth of "VC*7*B" (whatever that is) Anti-freeze. $38.50 for the BG Trans service and $36 for the BG cooling flush. $65 in labor for each, $130.

My plan is to do this every 30k. Maybe next time I will skip the BG service?

Just wanting to hear some thoughts on all this, as far as their procedure, costs, fluids they use, etc... Fairway Ford in Greenville, SC has a "Truck Shop" in the back where they handle their heavy duty stuff, and they seem to do a good job. This is only the 3rd time I have taken it to them, 2 tranny flushes and a recall. The Service Advisor doesnt come across as a sheister like many of them do, he seems honest. I asked him to take a look at the fluid that was coming out and see what it looked like. He actually took a pic of it and showed it to me, he said it looked a little dirty, but not real bad or burnt. I like to hang around the truck when they do it and watch a little bit, but I dont want stand over them the whole time, because I used to be a service tech at a Ford dealership and know what thats like.

Anyway, no problems to report or anything, just wanted to get some input. I installed a Magnefine Inline tranny filter after I got it back just a couple weeks ago for added protection. Stock cooler, pan, etc... I know Mark Kovalski has a procedure on here, I would like to hear from you too Mark, if youre out there. There are lots of things i do myself, but some stuff I would rather just let someone else do, as long as they do it the right way with the right stuff. I dont have a lift for one thing. Thanks for any input.
By the way, I dont have any gauges yet. I know, I know.....

Last edited by Studawg; 04-04-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: info
Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-04-2012, 12:09 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My personal take NO and NO...do it yourself.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
I don't know anything about BG products, except that I hear them advertised. I don't like the idea of flush chemicals.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I don't know anything about BG products, except that I hear them advertised. I don't like the idea of flush chemicals.
Good to know. Is there anything wrong with the procedure they use for either of these services? (For the tranny, they hook it up to the machine.)

Old 04-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Fixed it for ya!

Stewart

Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Originally Posted by nlemerise
My personal take NO and NO...do it yourself.
Ok, but why?

Old 04-04-2012, 04:08 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Studawg
Ok, but why?
Alright, first I am with Mark (good company to be with when it comes to trannies) being opposed to flushing the transmission using machines and chemicals. I have always done the fluid changes myself using the approach of pulling a line from the cooler, pumping out a few quarts (as soon as air bubbles show) and repeatedly doing this for a case of fluid. I have a Volvo with 300,000+ on its tranny and it shifts like new using this approach. Secondly, I will not deal with the dealerships if at all possible (and even then sometimes I refuse). If it is something ONLY they can do, so be it. I grit my teeth, lock down everything I can in the vehicle, and take it to them with the clear command on what I want them to do. Otherwise, I do it myself...I use the best materials/fluids/parts I can find and then get directions off the web (if I have not done the repair/maintenance before) by asking others for help or looking up the fix. This way I know the quality of the repair parts, I know the quality of the fluids/filters/etc, and I know the quality of the workmanship. The three added bonuses of using this approach 1) the vehicle maintenance/repair is done correctly, 2) I know the guy that turned the wrench (me) has a vested interest in doing the job to the best of his abilities, and 3) I have gained some knowledge (on new repairs) and satisfaction. To each their own, but I do everything for myself that I can possibly do (vehicles, home, you name it). It was the way I was raised, I guess.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:58 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
I can tell you why a coolant flush is not a good idea. When I was deployed my wife had to take my truck to the dealer for some work and while she was there they talked her into a coolant flush. When I got home and read the paperwork, they charged her for 2 gallons of coolant to flush the system. Seeing that our system holds 8 gallons it’s obvious they simply hooked it up to a machine and forced two gallons through it and called it good. When I flushed for ELC it took 16 gallons of distilled water, countless gallons through the hose and 8 more gallons of ELC and water to fill it back up.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:06 PM
1L243
Laughing Gas
I have mine done at a oil change lube place. They changed my oil and a compleat flush all 32 quarts of the radiator and a coolant rust inhibator for $149.00. I watch them do the work. You can see the new fluid go in and the old fluid come out... They do a fine job.. I have had the trans and coolant flushed 3 times and the oil about every 5k..

Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Alright, first I am with Mark (good company to be with when it comes to trannies) being opposed to flushing the transmission using machines and chemicals. I have always done the fluid changes myself using the approach of pulling a line from the cooler, pumping out a few quarts (as soon as air bubbles show) and repeatedly doing this for a case of fluid. I have a Volvo with 300,000+ on its tranny and it shifts like new using this approach. Secondly, I will not deal with the dealerships if at all possible (and even then sometimes I refuse). If it is something ONLY they can do, so be it. I grit my teeth, lock down everything I can in the vehicle, and take it to them with the clear command on what I want them to do. Otherwise, I do it myself...I use the best materials/fluids/parts I can find and then get directions off the web (if I have not done the repair/maintenance before) by asking others for help or looking up the fix. This way I know the quality of the repair parts, I know the quality of the fluids/filters/etc, and I know the quality of the workmanship. The three added bonuses of using this approach 1) the vehicle maintenance/repair is done correctly, 2) I know the guy that turned the wrench (me) has a vested interest in doing the job to the best of his abilities, and 3) I have gained some knowledge (on new repairs) and satisfaction. To each their own, but I do everything for myself that I can possibly do (vehicles, home, you name it). It was the way I was raised, I guess.
Yeah I agree with everything you are saying, but, when it comes to the transmission, why are you/yall opposed to machines doing it?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
The issue with the machines is that the fluid is all mixed. I use Mobil 1 ATF and most places will use what they have “on tap” to flush your system. They may say they have synthetic but it is a mixture from every other vehicle they have serviced since they changed out the system. I guess if you are particular about what you want in your vehicle then the best approach is to do it yourself and put the fluid in you want. If on the other hand, your just changing fluid in a lease or vehicle you do not intend on keeping for an extended period of time, the machine flush may suffice. I wonder how much of the fluid they actually change out. My truck holds around 25 quarts and I don't see any flush changing out enough fluid.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Studawg
Good to know. Is there anything wrong with the procedure they use for either of these services? (For the tranny, they hook it up to the machine.)
Alright, first I am with Mark (good company to be with when it comes to trannies) being opposed to flushing the transmission using machines and chemicals.
Originally Posted by SARDiverDan
The issue with the machines is that the fluid is all mixed.
I'm not at all opposed to flushing with a machine. They change the fluid and don't mix it any more than my procedure.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
When its hooked to the machine how long do they leave it hooked up? Do they tend to short change you on clean fluid? Do they go through each gear and pause for 5 seconds in each one? If you did it yourself and went by Marks procedures you would know its done right. You dont need a lift to do it, just time and you will save money.

For the coolant flush I used 22 galons of distilled water and 4 galons of ELC.

I had better satisfaction doing it myself.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:12 PM
cutlass
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I would share with you what I used to flush my 6.0 transmission cooler and I'm very happy I did it! I started a thread where I linked to details on the procedure and the shops that have this equipment across the US.

I had my 6.0 transmission cooler flushed prior to installing it onto my truck since it came from a truck in a scrap yard. I had no idea how much crud was built up inside the cooler and wasn't interested in sending any unnecessary debris into my transmission.

Here's the link: To those who are getting used 6.0 trans. coolers

Drake

Quick Reply: Want your thoughts on tranny flush and coolant flush at dealership.