American Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
tims01
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Nurburgring

im soo in for this

Speedway Motorsports, which owns and operates eight different racetracks around the United States, is looking to add a new track to its portfolio.

Only it's not talking your average Bristol Motor Speedway or Texas Motor Speedway.

What it's talking is an American Nurburgring. And what better way to bring the Nurburgring to America than with the Nurburgring?

Instead of just building a touristy model of the Nurburgring - like what Vegas did with the Eiffel Tower and Egyptian pyramids - Speedway plans on building an exact replica of every nook, cranny and hard right of the actual Nurburgring track. We assume the company is just planning on the building the more celebrated Nordschleife, but it may throw the Grand Prix Circuit in for good measure.

On a clip we picked up on Jalopnik, Speedway CEO Bruton Smith told Sirius XM Sports that the company has been in talks with Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval, the Bureau of Land Management and some Germans.

The plan as it stands now is to convince the BLM to donate some 8,000 acres of land to the project - something that shouldn't be that problematic in a state with more public land than any other in the lower 48. If and when Speedway gets the land, which would be located a few miles from the existing Las Vegas Motor Speedway, the company plans to use aerial topography, photos, hard records and German engineering to build a precise replica of Green Hell. Smith said that the idea came from Germans, so Speedway will presumably work closely with those that know the 'Ring best.

With Las Vegas Speedway right down the road, Nurburgring LV wouldn't host any competitive events. Instead, it would take on the Nordschleife's role of manufacturer testing and private track time. That's a thought that the American automakers and driving fanatics should be drooling over. And as Smith pointed out in his interview, overseas automakers would probably be happy to have a year-round 'Ring replica in the desert for when the actual 'Ring is buried in snow.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:45 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
COOL !!!!
but I can't IMAGINE the states would allow ANY public use of it though ----
I can here the furor now :
"Ewwwwwwwwwww - it's too danGeRous - and to be fair we'd have to give everyone a car to race on it if we opened it up to the public" - sorta ObanaCar

but the corporate people would keep it busy !!!

Old 03-16-2012, 02:48 PM
volthause
Senior User
Yeah, I could get down with that.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 PM
tims01
Elder User
i would drive my ex on it all three of my motorcycles on it and my cars on it all day long heck i would move right next door to it

Old 03-16-2012, 03:23 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tims01;11582844[IMG
http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/nurburgring_100312325_l.jpg[/IMG]
...I think I just soiled myself...

Old 03-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
I was lucky enough to get to ride three laps at Nurburgring. I used to work for Getrag and we designed and developed the diff in the Cadillac CTS-V. We did 8:20 laps, which is very respectable for a four door sedan, and most sports cars!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:58 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I was lucky enough to get to ride three laps at Nurburgring. I used to work for Getrag and we designed and developed the diff in the Cadillac CTS-V. We did 8:20 laps, which is very respectable for a four door sedan, and most sports cars!
That's pretty quick for something that big...I think I'd have giggled like a girl the whole time...

Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
part of what makes the nurburgring the nurburgring is the weather... just wont' be the same in vegas. IMO they should focus on making a track that could be famous in its own right, instead of just trying to copy something that is already there. I don't know that there are many series that would be able to make use of the nurburgring here in the US. Its not even used for many actual races in germany anymore.

If you just want to bang the carousel then summit point has what I'm told is an exact model.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Houston Cowgirl
Senior User
Interesting. I'd give it a whirl. I'm headed back to Pahrump in June for Level 2 - on 2nd thought, I have enough trouble with that and it's a small measley little road course compared to the ring. Maybe I wouldn't give it a whirl..........

Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 PM
gotgig
Junior User
Originally Posted by Houston Cowgirl
Interesting. I'd give it a whirl. I'm headed back to Pahrump in June for Level 2 - on 2nd thought, I have enough trouble with that and it's a small measley little road course compared to the ring. Maybe I wouldn't give it a whirl..........
Spring Mountain is an awesome track, and the Level 2 class is great. After that hit a few track days and put that training to work.... you'll be ready :-) I'd recommend Sebring, there are several venues available for open track days where you can find the limits of you and your car.