1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Local Car Shows...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 AM
wallster
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local Car Shows...

This was the first year I have entered a vehicle in a local car show (besides one time when I entered a motorcycle in a bike show) and I do not believe it is my "cup of tea". I went to one last week (by myself... the Mrs. had other plans) so once I took the walk around, snapped a few pics, had a hot dog and a soda, it was pretty much time to head out. Alright, maybe that was a matter of not knowing anyone, boredom, hot day, I don't know but this past weekend I gave it another shot. This time the Mrs. and me went, mingled a bit with other truck owners (met a nice young guy named Chad who had a '52 and he was showing me all of his handy work, dug that), even ran into a few people we knew, but I still just couldn't make an entire day of it. I think the majority of the people there belong to car clubs, are between upper fifties to mid-seventies, and gather as a collective group (like a family picnic). The cars and trucks were nice, had a good time checking everything out but the people who owned the gazillion dollar garage jewelry seem to be the big trophy winners. I heard one guy on the phone telling someone where he parked his trailer before the show so I assumed his gorgeous vehicle never hits the pavement for a real drive. I think I'll visit a few more but as a spectator so I don't feel obligated to spend the entire day there. Anyone here live for these gatherings? I can see how they would be a great time for the right group of people but after two hours I was just bored to tears.

Wally

1951 F1 - "Lucille"

Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Lukas42104
Freshman User
I'm not going to lie...I could spend all day at the local "Smokey Bones" cruise-in. I don't have anything "show worthy" yet, but I love walking around and looking at everyones rides. I've met some really talented people that have offered up advice and business cards if I ever have a question, and I've learned alot over the past few years. I've seen ideas that I didn't think I would like that actually are pretty cool, and it's given me a pretty clear idea of what I want out of my truck. I think chatting up the "elders" is my favorite part. You can get these guys to talk for hours about anything from their first car to their grandkids, and if you happen to bring a kid along, it tickles them pink (or blue, or whatever color they're into) to see young people enthusiastic and encouraging the next generation. I can't tell you how many old guys have told my little boy or my wife to sit in their pride and joy and have their picture taken. I guess if you're not a "mingler" or a real talkative person, and if you don't care anything about looking at the same vehicle more than once, cruise-ins are probably not for you...but for me, that's one of the main reasons I want to build. To be a part of that community. Next time, bring a lawn chair, get their early to find a good shady spot, mingle, and don't get so wrapped up in the competition. You'll enjoy it alot more when your not concerned with going home with a trophy.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
The concept of paying to park my car or truck in the sun for an entire day, and not be able to leave when I want, has never appealed to me. Informal gatherings are much better. I meet more "like-minded" people driving my truck around town.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:03 AM
wallster
Elder User
Originally Posted by Lukas42104
I'm not going to lie...I could spend all day at the local "Smokey Bones" cruise-in. I don't have anything "show worthy" yet, but I love walking around and looking at everyones rides. I've met some really talented people that have offered up advice and business cards if I ever have a question, and I've learned alot over the past few years. I've seen ideas that I didn't think I would like that actually are pretty cool, and it's given me a pretty clear idea of what I want out of my truck. I think chatting up the "elders" is my favorite part. You can get these guys to talk for hours about anything from their first car to their grandkids, and if you happen to bring a kid along, it tickles them pink (or blue, or whatever color they're into) to see young people enthusiastic and encouraging the next generation. I can't tell you how many old guys have told my little boy or my wife to sit in their pride and joy and have their picture taken. I guess if you're not a "mingler" or a real talkative person, and if you don't care anything about looking at the same vehicle more than once, cruise-ins are probably not for you...but for me, that's one of the main reasons I want to build. To be a part of that community. Next time, bring a lawn chair, get their early to find a good shady spot, mingle, and don't get so wrapped up in the competition. You'll enjoy it alot more when your not concerned with going home with a trophy.
All good advice. I wasn't counting on winning a trophy (my truck looks great in photos or about ten feet away but she can't compete with most of the others), just thought it would be fun to participate. I think I'm just more the type that goes in, walks around for a while, check out the cars/trucks, have a cold one and move on. Good point with the "old timers" (which I'm slowly becoming), they are filled with years of experience.

Wally

1951 F1 - "Lucille"

Old 07-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Lukas42104
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
The concept of paying to park my car or truck in the sun for an entire day, and not be able to leave when I want, has never appealed to me. Informal gatherings are much better. I meet more "like-minded" people driving my truck around town.
I agree on the "informal gatherings", and those are generally the ones I like to go to. Most of these are considered cruise-ins or show-n-shines and usually take place at a local parking lot (here in Bowling Green it's the bowling alley or the Smokey Bones) and all it consists of is a bunch of old cars and trucks (and always at least one or two hondas, for some reason) parking, walking around, comparing notes and war stories, and when you're ready to leave, you leave. If it's hot, you leave. Hungry? Walk inside and eat. It's pretty laid back, and like you said, the lack of formality makes it enjoyable. Yes, occaisonally someone will bring something straight out of a magazine that makes you sick (here, it's a Lincoln Zephyr that someone, according to rumor, won the lottery and paid over $250,000 to have restored) but with this atmosphere, there's no trophy, no judges, and the primered 68 Camaro gets just as much love and attention from bystanders as the never-seen-the-open-road trailer queen.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I hit the local Friday Night cruise almost every week.

Sometimes ill bring my 1986 5.0 ranger or my 1978 F250 to the cruise.

I have never been a big fan of the pay to sit around all day, locked in car shows.

Neither of my road worthy trucks are much to brag about, but I built them from nothing, I didnt pay some exorbent amount to have them built.

We have the fold up chairs, and make it a family affair. My parents bring their 65 comet, and/or the 72 chevelle or the 84 corvette. One of my buddies brings his dodge sedan, another brings his 84 monte carlo.

We make a circle and hang out. chit chat and such.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I've fallen away from car shows. They're getting too expensive for my wallet. Like Ross, I don't want to pay $10-15 to sit in the sun, or rain, and have people pawing my truck. My trucks are not show trucks either and I get tired of seeing the guys whose only sweat in their truck is from running a duster over them before the show. I see guys with big displays with all the trophies. The vast majority of the pictures depict their vehicles in a pro's shop getting the body work, mechanical and upholstery done by they wallet. I realize not everyone can do the work but my personal feeling is you should at least put some kind of real sweat in the truck or don't sit around with your chest puffed out like you did it yourself.

I tend to lean to the local cruise-ins. Seems like the neighborhood people show up for them and most have the same crowd week after week and you get to know them, which I like. You get to know the people and you can sit around for a longer period of time and BS. Also, around here at least, they're all free.

I talked to a local guy who owned a restaurant a while back for many years. He told me his best nights were the cruise-in nights. He said he made the most money that night. He'd run specials for the car owners like a free cheese burger and drink for the drive. The driver usually brought at least one other person who paid full price plus the cars would attract the general public who would grab at least one drink, but more likely a couple of burgers.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:19 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My green beauty has a paint job that can't stand being driven.. its a shame and we thought long and hard about it.. But shes a trailer queen..

we love to go to shows, my wife gets her toenails done the same color,
and last year had a streak of green in her hair too..

we arrive early and sit all day. (walk around, visit folks, talk cars, builds, details.. ).. you can tell the ones that just bought the vehicle..

I put out my build book.

At this point I'm in it for the trophies.. try to stay clear of participant or attendee voting.. (friends and cars vs trucks)..

I help judge at some of the bigger shows.

Sam

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2012, 12:51 PM
wallster
Elder User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
My green beauty has a paint job that can't stand being driven.. its a shame and we thought long and hard about it.. But shes a trailer queen..

we love to go to shows, my wife gets her toenails done the same color,
and last year had a streak of green in her hair too..

we arrive early and sit all day. (walk around, visit folks, talk cars, builds, details.. ).. you can tell the ones that just bought the vehicle..

I put out my build book.

At this point I'm in it for the trophies.. try to stay clear of participant or attendee voting.. (friends and cars vs trucks)..

I help judge at some of the bigger shows.

Sam
Sam, that's a beautiful truck and I don't blame you for not driving her like an old daily driver and leaving her in the supermarket parking lot to get trashed, you've created a piece of art. But why no pics of your wife's green toenails?

Wally

1951 F1 - "Lucille"

Old 07-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like to go to the get togethers and shows that are free. I usually do not pay to attend. Here in Nor CAL it is usually $25 to $30 I do pay if the show has a really good raffle. I've won everything from a car duster to a $1,000 go-cart, and once I even won a 50" digital TV. So, check out the raffles. That may give you a little more incentive to hang around. Jag

Old 07-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Eds56Effie
Senior User

I agree with everything Sam said. My wife and I meet our friends at the local car shows and cruise-ins practically every weekend that the threat of rain is less than 20%. (I don't trailer the trucks..they are always driven).

Anyway, We have a diverse group (Chevy, Ford, Mopar) of about 4 of us that have been meeting at the local shows for years now and we go for the comradery..certainly, not the 5 or 10 dollar award. Many times we leave before the award ceremony anyway. I really have no more room for them after 10 years of car shows. And, for the most part the entry fee goes to a charitable cause.

Car showing is definitely not for everyone though. No matter how nice..(and expensive) your ride is you will NOT always win an award. Some people just can't handle that..doesn't bother me as I had a good time hanging out with my buddies and that's what counts.

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a real question..

I don't understand how they justify charging people to enter their trucks...when without the trucks...there is no show? It seems like we should get some perks just for bringing the vehicle so they can have their show, sell tickets, vendors can sell merch, etc.

I guess the entry fee is usually cheaper than buying admission to a big show for three days, but one day is about all I need. It is a weird concept to me.

EDIT: I see that Eds56Effie made a good point, charity. I can see using proceeds for charity.

I also just thought about the fact that the show is really about the people there, having a good time. I guess since if it mainly benefits the people who enter their vehicles, it makes a little more sense to charge a small fee for putting the whole thing on. My thoughts are based more on the "big shows" when they charge a lot for admission...I haven't been to many local "shows," only cruise ins....

Anyway, it's an interesting discussion.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
It's more fun building them and driving them. I only go as a spectator.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
I too agree that the shows need us more than we need them. We have several shows that feed us or offer some type of intertainment and do not charge us to enter. One criteria that is important to us is that the show is not for motorcycles. We have had too many good shows ruined by those guys. Even though most are nice, there is a certain number that are idiots and have to do burn outs when they get drunk. Their actions make it hard for the organizers to get local permits because of the reputation that is so negative. Also, the motorcycle shows don't invite cars and trucks to enter... Jag

Old 07-09-2012, 03:24 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Schuyles
This is a real question..

I don't understand how they justify charging people to enter their trucks...when without the trucks...there is no show? It seems like we should get some perks just for bringing the vehicle so they can have their show, sell tickets, vendors can sell merch, etc.

I guess the entry fee is usually cheaper than buying admission to a big show for three days, but one day is about all I need. It is a weird concept to me.

EDIT: I see that Eds56Effie made a good point, charity. I can see using proceeds for charity.

I also just thought about the fact that the show is really about the people there, having a good time. I guess since if it mainly benefits the people who enter their vehicles, it makes a little more sense to charge a small fee for putting the whole thing on. My thoughts are based more on the "big shows" when they charge a lot for admission...I haven't been to many local "shows," only cruise ins....

Anyway, it's an interesting discussion.
somebody has to pay something for the site, and awards, and materials (flyers etc)..

we try to make sure to go where there is a reputable charitable organization. !st show we went to this year was for boys & girls club.. I didn't know, but they had a $500 award to best in show..

we won, but certainly the organization needs that more than I do.. so we donated it back immediately.. (didn't have it when I got there, didn't have it when I left)..

but that $500 comes out of registration fees..

Sam

Quick Reply: Local Car Shows...