tire rotating on camper

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tire rotating on camper

so I ask this question with out checking my 5ers owners manual first. But I was wondering if you guys rotate your tires on your towable camper (no motor homes with steering wheels)? And if you do, what is the recommended time for rotation?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:24 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never rotated mine, but I did have the re-mounted and balanced by a tire shop. They needed some serious balance weights (or whatever they're called).

A semi-related question. Aren't "campers" the units you slide into the bed of a truck? I've always thought that is what a camper was…while the general "trailer" term covered, 5th wheels and travel trailers. Just curious...

Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

I rotate mine just like my vehicle. When I reach 6k on my 5er tiress, I rotate them back to front.

I think your smei-related question is a whole nother thread. But....

As far as Camper, I agree that the term "camper" at one time referred to the slide in bed mount RV. I think the term camper has evolved just like other words in any language. Many people in the past think of "pop ups" as the definition of camper. I am surprised that due to policitcal correctness "campers" / "rv's" are not called "Recreational Appliances!"

Old 03-15-2012, 11:44 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I don't rotate the trailer tires, but then, they don't see enough miles to need it. We put about 5k on the fiver last year. For us, tires get replaced because of age, or road hazard, long before tread life becomes an issue. If you put a lot more miles on the trailer than we do, then rotating them might be useful.

On the other hand, why would tires wear more in one position than another? If you've got one axle or one tire wearing significantly more than the others, it is time to visit a trailer alignment shop, because something is wrong. Or possibly you need to check weights on each tire.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:58 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
thanks for your views on this. I have checked other rv forums, and from past threads others have said the same thing. As far as my refering of "campers", I guess i generalized all units. Although I did specify "towable camper" witch would exclude slide in units, and i exluded motorhomes. My opinion is that if you have a unit that has a kitchen, bathroom, living/sleeping accommodations and you can take it with you. You pretty much have a camper. While they may be called "pop-up", "slide-in", "travel trailer", "fifth wheel", "recreational vehicle", or "self contained" ; they all serve the same purpose; To get out and enjoy the outdoors, some with more comfort than others. And i guess technically the people that use these are the "camper", or is is "campee?"

Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 PM
onug
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_08
... And i guess technically the people that use these are the "camper", or is is "campee?"
LOL, not sure. Ironically, I still refer to using our trailer as "going camping". My non-RV'ing friends think "camping" is bringing a tent and sleeping on the ground, so I get funny looks when I say "we're going camping this weekend". I just think saying "going RV'ing" makes it sound like we're retired and taking a 4 month trip in a diesel pusher.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:09 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Typical camper (motorhomes, trailer etc.) yearly mileage average is something like 5-7k miles a year....

I would NEVER bother rotating tires on a seasonal used vehicle.

The tires will age, dry and crack before the thread wears down enough to replace 'em anyways.

I put about 8-10k a summer on my '87 Class C motorhome, and never rotated the tires.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Exclamation

Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
Typical camper (motorhomes, trailer etc.) yearly mileage average is something like 5-7k miles a year....

I would NEVER bother rotating tires on a seasonal used vehicle.

The tires will age, dry and crack before the thread wears down enough to replace 'em anyways.

I put about 8-10k a summer on my '87 Class C motorhome, and never rotated the tires.
It is very recommendable to change the tires at 4 years old, and maximum 6 years, for safety. The tires must have the fabrication date on them.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:38 AM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
4 years is a little to much for me. I'd say 6-8 years.

The old front tires on my camper dated from 1996 when I replaced them last year. They were cracked, and had almost nothing in thread left on 'em.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:48 AM
kawcrasher
Elder User
No campers, but all my trailers get rotated front to rear every spring when I do the bearings. Unless you have perfect balance between axles one will always slip first while turning. If you only have brakes on one axle that axle will also wear faster.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:01 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Tire life is often discussed (debated). The RV manufacturers( RVIA) says 5-7 years and that figure has been quoted in multiple RV publications for many years. However, how tires are maintained and stored probably plays a greater role in life expectancy than age for most end users. IMHO.

RVIA also says, any time a tire is run at less than 85% of the pressure required to carry a rated load, it should be removed from the rim and inspected on the inside of the tire. I sure don't see that being done very often.

Steve

Last edited by RV_Tech; 03-23-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-23-2012, 06:10 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
X2 with the above.

Sun and tire shine are the 2 number one killer of tires.