1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-350 TPMS for Camper

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Johnwa1958
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-350 TPMS for Camper

I have been researching TPM systems for my trailer (Camper) and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried adding internal sensors to the trailer wheels that are compatible with the reciever for the OEM TPMS on Ford Trucks (2009 and later).

Is this a new idea or has it been tried?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Johnwa1958
New User
Just Testing

Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I doubt the TPMS system on your Super Duty can recognize that many tire. Even if it could physically, the programming limits it as the learn procedure has you identify each of the four tires.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:52 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
what happened to getting out and checking the tires with a tire gauge when you stop?

Old 05-11-2012, 10:54 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not even a gauge, just thump them with a club

I HATE the TPMS requirement on newer vehicles. Pain in the **** when changing winter tires out and it screams at you when you let your tire pressure down off road. Good ol' government adding equipment requirements to everybody to protect the helpless/stupid few that can't check tires. Survival of the fittest, if you can't care for your vehicle, maybe you shouldn't be driving... /rant off

Old 05-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts
Yeah I pretty much hate the TPMS also. Definately wouldn't want it on any trailer. Sorry OP no help from me.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:22 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I know you can get a full system that is separate from the one built into your truck. They sell them at Camping World.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:01 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
Yeah I pretty much hate the TPMS also. Definately wouldn't want it on any trailer. Sorry OP no help from me.
Certainly, why would you want to know ahead of time if you got a puncture while driving down the road. I am not for mandates but the actual technology is fantastic.

Same people probably bitch about airbags, how dare they put something in the car that can save our lives.

Anyway back to the point, the only systems I have seen for trailers use the valve stems, which is better because they don't get ruined should the tire suddenly deflate while driving, which can ruin the old rim ring design. Then you have to have a separate box for the info. It would actually be pretty cool if Ford could integrate a system with the tow command and a 3rd party valve stem sensor company to do what you want. Have a tandem Dually that we need to put the sensors on, much easier than checking 8 tires, 4 of which are near impossible to get to without removing the outer, also have 3 other trailers that really should get them to catch those tires going low before they blow. I guess I am not smart enough to walk outside the truck while going 75mph to check the air pressure and tap the tire with a stick.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:42 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
what happened to getting out and checking the tires with a tire gauge when you stop?
Having pulled trailers for a few years, you can pick up a nail from a gutter in a trailer tire pretty easy and off to the interstate you go just a few minutes after airing them up before the trip. If you can see your trailer tires in your mirrors, you'll likely see smoke occasionally from a low tire before you can see the bulge of low pressure. By the time you stop, it's usually too late to air it up and continue on. The TPMS for trailer tires is a good thing. The only thing I don't like about the TPMS in my truck is it doesn't allow me to air them down for light loads like Dodge does. So paint stripes feel like RR tracks.

Camping World or about any decent trailer supply store should have TPMS for trailer tires. E-bay and E-Trailer are options too.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:50 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

One would think a simple system wouldn't have to identify WHICH tire o the trailer is down- should be sufficient to be alerted that one is. You're gonna stop and look anyway.......Should be fairly inexpensive to have a receiver that responds to any sensor - weather you have two, four, or six tires on the trailer. Alarm goes off, you're gonna stop. Matters not which tire is low. Get out and look.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by galaxie641
Certainly, why would you want to know ahead of time if you got a puncture while driving down the road. I am not for mandates but the actual technology is fantastic.

Same people probably bitch about airbags, how dare they put something in the car that can save our lives.

Anyway back to the point, the only systems I have seen for trailers use the valve stems, which is better because they don't get ruined should the tire suddenly deflate while driving, which can ruin the old rim ring design. Then you have to have a separate box for the info. It would actually be pretty cool if Ford could integrate a system with the tow command and a 3rd party valve stem sensor company to do what you want. Have a tandem Dually that we need to put the sensors on, much easier than checking 8 tires, 4 of which are near impossible to get to without removing the outer, also have 3 other trailers that really should get them to catch those tires going low before they blow. I guess I am not smart enough to walk outside the truck while going 75mph to check the air pressure and tap the tire with a stick.

You don't know me jerk and wouldnt say stuff like that to me. Why such a response? I have had family members killed in auto accidents I understand safety. I am allowed to have my own opinion on an extremely flawed system. There many threads here on the issue. When a system works fine. Non do. I just had a flat this past weekend and I saw it in my mirror. You cant see the truck's front tires so sure.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
Because you don't always stop when the tire looses the air.
I bought Pressure Pro for my motorhome and used it on our wagon when on Vegas vacations.
The alarm come on when we were stuck in Strip NO-GO traffic.
110F outside, gusty winds shooting the sand. Not really the place you want to stop and replace the tire, not mentioning that 6 passengers would not like standing outside. . But having constant monitoring, I could see the leak to be pretty small and still made to our hotel underground garage where after letting passengers go I could put the spare on.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
We've had a couple vehicles with factory TPMS. None of them work as they should. I quit releying on them after stopping to check a false alarm several times ago. They pretty much just get ignored on my vehicles now as a result of these false alarms, until there is a reliable system that works. Its safer not to stop on the roadside for these fantom flat tires. The stealerships can never find anything wrong with the system when told about it. I will admit the GM we had was the worst culprit for false alarms. If the tire is going down thaty quickly where you wouldnt see it or notice it first your screwed anyways before you can safely stop it.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:41 PM
MC9
Junior User
I wouldn't be caught dead without a TPMS on my fifth wheel. Having said that, I don't care for the TPMS built into the tow vehicle. I can usually feel my truck having tire troubles. The built-ins are usually not adjustable which is important. When I am not towing or loaded I air down for a comfortable ride.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:52 PM
dscabra
Tuned
Originally Posted by alchymist
One would think a simple system wouldn't have to identify WHICH tire o the trailer is down- should be sufficient to be alerted that one is. You're gonna stop and look anyway.......Should be fairly inexpensive to have a receiver that responds to any sensor - weather you have two, four, or six tires on the trailer. Alarm goes off, you're gonna stop. Matters not which tire is low. Get out and look.
The system in my wife's Lexus RX350 doesn't identify which tire is out of range and I spent an hour trying figure out why the darn thing kept setting off the idiot light after I double and tripple checked the pressue on all four tires. Didn't I feel foolish after I finaly realized that the car has FIVE tires being monitored by the system. Figuring out how to drop the spare was another exercise in humility.

Quick Reply: F-350 TPMS for Camper