1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rear cab mount install

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:15 PM
JACKUS2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear cab mount install

I'm sure this has been asked before and I did a serach to no avail. What's the secret to installing the rear cab mounts on a 53 F-100? any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:26 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
when I did mine,

I installed the rubber bumper
I installed the lower arm end and bolt
I lifted the cab and forced the upper end of the arm in the mount
I had to use a tool here to get the arm hole and mount hole aligned for next step
inserted the upper bolt.

I could not get the lower end of the arm in with the rubber bumper in place if I started on the cab side.
Sam

Old 03-14-2012, 03:29 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i did mine similar to the way Sam did his, and I had help. Two of us did it in about 45 minutes, the first 30 were figuring out the way to do it. Then we celebrated with a cold beer.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
BobCo posted this on facebook as to how he did it.
I'm not sure what his username is on here.
Just how do you put rear cab mounts together? | Facebook

Old 03-14-2012, 03:37 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by topmoo
i did mine similar to the way Sam did his, and I had help. Two of us did it in about 45 minutes, the first 30 were figuring out the way to do it. Then we celebrated with a cold beer.
I used a floor jack for the second person

And I celebrated as well!

Sam

Old 03-14-2012, 04:24 PM
JACKUS2
Freshman User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
when I did mine,

I installed the rubber bumper
I installed the lower arm end and bolt
I lifted the cab and forced the upper end of the arm in the mount
I had to use a tool here to get the arm hole and mount hole aligned for next step
inserted the upper bolt.

I could not get the lower end of the arm in with the rubber bumper in place if I started on the cab side.
Sam
Sounds simple enough. I understand the bushing has to be in first. Did you lubricate the bushing with soap or some thing? When you forced the upper end. Can you be a little more specific? Did you use your foot? I was thinking of using a rachet strap or maybe a come-a-long to bring the two arms up to align with the top portion. Just fooling around with them. I couldn't push it up far enough by hand. Don't get me wrong. I apprciate your advice, but I really need to understand how this is going to work. Or is this something I'll see when I actually start doing it. I'll be using my cherry picker and a 4x4 through the door opening to lift it. thanks again for replling to me post.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:40 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
On my 52 I used a pry bar, a block of wood, and a six pack of beer to reward my friends who stopped by to help me lift the cab in place. Basically, I lubed the rubber parts with silicone grease (Dow Corning DC4), put the rubber bumper into the lower bracket, and installed the swing arm with the lower bolt only. I then pivoted the arm into place...but it hits the bumper before the hole for the top bolt lines up...so a modicum of force is needed (also had my friends lift the cab a little in that corner). With a pry bar against a block of wood, it only took a little force to make the upper hole line up. Then repeat the process for the other side.

I should note that I put 1 inch thick blocks of wood on the frame to support the cab until I had the swing arms attached.

Dan

Old 03-14-2012, 05:50 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

After re-reading your post...I don't think you'll need the cherry picker....if you're working alone, you probably can get away with just a floor jack and a block of wood carefully placed on the cab corner. You only need to lift it a small amount to get the swing arms in.

Dan

Old 03-14-2012, 06:19 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by JACKUS2
Sounds simple enough. I understand the bushing has to be in first. Did you lubricate the bushing with soap or some thing? When you forced the upper end. Can you be a little more specific? Did you use your foot? I was thinking of using a rachet strap or maybe a come-a-long to bring the two arms up to align with the top portion. Just fooling around with them. I couldn't push it up far enough by hand. Don't get me wrong. I apprciate your advice, but I really need to understand how this is going to work. Or is this something I'll see when I actually start doing it. I'll be using my cherry picker and a 4x4 through the door opening to lift it. thanks again for replling to me post.
you do one side and have a little cab movement so its not so hard to do,
and then on the other side, a little lift and it slides right in.. both by hand..

but you have to lift the cab a little.. there is a lower lip on the body side you have to get past.

As Dan said, a floor jack and small block of 2x4 is all u need.. 3-4 inches of lift

Sam

Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 PM
JACKUS2
Freshman User
Thanks old_dan. I have the cab on a dolly. I used the cherry picker to take it off the chasis. So I'll need to put it back on. So why not use it. I'll use your's and Sams technic. I'll have a couple people helping, so it will go on and then we'll celebrate. Thanks guys

Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by JACKUS2
Thanks old_dan. I have the cab on a dolly. I used the cherry picker to take it off the chasis. So I'll need to put it back on. So why not use it. I'll use your's and Sams technic. I'll have a couple people helping, so it will go on and then we'll celebrate. Thanks guys
well, if you are ALREADY lifting with the CP then of course use it..

we missed that little detail..

Sam

Old 03-14-2012, 07:21 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Good luck...keep us posted!!

Dan

Old 03-16-2012, 03:05 PM
JACKUS2
Freshman User
Thanks for the knowledge guys. Went well. My son brought a few of his friends over and they had the cab on the chasis before I knew it. Used your technic on the rear mounts and it worked fine. We used a 18" pipe wrench for leverage. My son said it took no effort at all. Thanks again

Old 03-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by topmoo
I like your mode of operandi, I quess it depends on brute arm muscle strength?...... and a reward....lol.....I'm gearing myself up for this operation here too shortly.