6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Parameter for Regen in 6.7L PSD

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:15 PM
milsuper
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parameter for Regen in 6.7L PSD

Guys, can someone explain to me what the Ford parameters are for triggering/initiating regen for 6.7L PSD? Is it the soot level (how is the soot level measured?), accumulated miles or hours of engine operation, level of cetane of fuel used, and/or something else? Obviously, I'm not a tech but I'm interested in learning the details about Ford regen process. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
The Edge CTS dispays parameters that the PCM monitors. One of those is SOOT % Ford must have some sensor that measures the soot collected and triggers the regens when that concentration is reached.

The 6.7 will do either a Passive Regen ( anytime you have exhaust heat over 572*) and the Active Regen when the percentage triggers it.

It is not mileage or hour based nor based on any amount of consumed fuel.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 PM
milsuper
Junior User
On average, how long does it take to complete a passive regen and active regen typically? Also, if that regen cycle is not fully completed (in case of engine off), next time you turn the engine back on...does it continue the regen cycle from the start all over again or from where it left off? Is there any speed (mph) requirement for regen or can regen still take place when idling/in park? Can additives like PM 22A affect the regen duration or frequency?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:59 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
There is no time limit for passive regen.
It simply happens above the temp. Painted Horse mentioned.
Works best when towing heavy.

Active regeneration begins about 30 seconds after the soot count reaches 2.66 GPL or above and then reports the message to the driver 30 seconds after that.
I have not timed a full active regen; it's 10-15 minutes.

Shifting out of of a forward gear will cancel an active regeneration.
Shifting to N or P I know will cancel it within 10 seconds.
Stopping at a traffic light for a normal period of time with foot on service brake will not cancel an AR but counts towards the time an AR runs.

If an AR has been running for some time and the post DPF temps are above 1100*, the soot will continue to slowly burn away in park at idle after it was canceled due to the high heat for another 2-3 minutes until temps cool down a few hundred degrees.

Best results is to be on the highway between 55-65 MPH.
I've seen the soot count as low as 1.12 GPL but that's rare for mine.
An AR will normally take mine down to 1.23-1.30.

Last edited by kper05; 03-17-2012 at 12:01 AM. Reason: typo on last sentence...
Old 03-17-2012, 12:22 AM
milsuper
Junior User
Originally Posted by kper05
If an AR has been running for some time and the post DPF temps are above 1100*, the soot will continue to slowly burn away in park at idle after it was canceled due to the high heat for another 2-3 minutes until temps cool down a few hundred degrees.
Wow! 1100*? I wonder what the exhaust gas temp and the exterior DPF temp are during/within the Active Regen....but I guess I should not drive or stop my truck with horse trailer attached to it on a field with dry brush or grass!

Old 03-17-2012, 12:30 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
The highest I've seen was 1207*.
Most of the time it doesn't go above 1150*.
The holes in the exhaust tip cool the air quite a bit but it's still over 500 degrees.
I know this because it puts my digital laser temp gauge into error mode which supports a max of 500*.
I've tried to catch cardboard on fire but failed.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:28 AM
caere
Senior User
I had my first message for a exhaust cleaning. Only have 300 km's on truck. The message flashed for 1 sec. And then nothing. I didn't see any difference in the truck. Was that just a passive cleaning? I was in stop and go traffic at the time. If it was a regen. wouldn't I get a message when it's done?

Are there any ways to monitor the soot level or regen with no aftermarket monitor?

Also, curious if the ford additive reduces the regen time or frequency?

Old 03-17-2012, 06:27 AM
milsuper
Junior User
Originally Posted by kper05
The highest I've seen was 1207*.
Most of the time it doesn't go above 1150*.
The holes in the exhaust tip cool the air quite a bit but it's still over 500 degrees.
I know this because it puts my digital laser temp gauge into error mode which supports a max of 500*.
I've tried to catch cardboard on fire but failed.

LOL. Well, at those temps, I'm still keeping my bale of hay away.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:50 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caere
I had my first message for a exhaust cleaning. Only have 300 km's on truck. The message flashed for 1 sec. And then nothing. I didn't see any difference in the truck. Was that just a passive cleaning? I was in stop and go traffic at the time. If it was a regen. wouldn't I get a message when it's done?

Are there any ways to monitor the soot level or regen with no aftermarket monitor?

Also, curious if the ford additive reduces the regen time or frequency?
A passive cleaning wouldn't indicate anything at all... it just happens over the course of normal driving, hence passive. I don't know of a way to look up whether an active regen is happening in the gauge cluster menu like the 6.4L models. Just refer to the fuel economy estimate, and if you are really paying attention you will hear it sounds slightly different.

I found that regens reduced in frequency during the winter time when the engine wasn't consistently getting up to operating temperature ('cause I was using interior heat, and because the cooling system designed for hot ambient operation is working a bit too well when it's -30°C along with the high volume of intake air) but now it's warmer and the first time in a long time it did an active regen and I noticed I was blasting tons of grey smoke (ashes?) over everyone behind me. It doesn't do that if it can clean regularly.

I don't use "the additive" so I can't comment on that but I would think soot creation is more dependent on how much fuel is burned and related to hard acceleration type of driving.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:40 PM
caere
Senior User
Thanks for info guys. Loving the new truck!