Sponsored by: Moser

Max tow mirror to paddle mirror swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Rob.D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max tow mirror to paddle mirror swap?

Going to be trading/selling my 06 PSD for a F-150 Lariat Max Tow. The only time I'd need the max tow mirrors would be in the winter when I hook up to the snowmobile trailer. I believe there are only 3 or 4 bolts holding the mirrors on. How about the wiring, would it be a plug and play between the two different mirrors? Would both mirrors have power fold? Cost of the paddle mirror?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM
captaineddie
Senior User
I had a 2010 F-150 King Ranch with the tow mirrors and hated them. I don't know how many times I hit the garage door jamb with the right mirror. Replacing the mirrors was going to be quite costly--about $800, I believe, and there was a very good chance the wiring harness would be wrong. The original tow mirrors did not power fold. I finally traded trucks, getting one with the standard mirrors.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:37 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Another aspect you may want to consider/investigate is electronic recognition from onboard computers. A coworker wanted to swap out mirrors on his Chevy pickup ... mirrors which automajically tilt down when reverse gear is selected (BTW, neat feature) ... but the dealer told him they could not reflash his computer to recognize the upgraded mirrors. The dealer told him that Chevy prohibited such reflashing because they'd rather he buy another truck versus improve the one he has.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 PM
captaineddie
Senior User
Originally Posted by cficare
Another aspect you may want to consider/investigate is electronic recognition from onboard computers. A coworker wanted to swap out mirrors on his Chevy pickup ... mirrors which automajically tilt down when reverse gear is selected (BTW, neat feature) ... but the dealer told him they could not reflash his computer to recognize the upgraded mirrors. The dealer told him that Chevy prohibited such reflashing because they'd rather he buy another truck versus improve the one he has.
I wish Ford offered the downward tilt in reverse. I've had it on cars and it really is a great feature.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about power fold, but the mirrors are a few nuts, and plug in. Not too difficult, but the door panel must come off first.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:15 AM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

I actually went the other way, my truck came with standard mirrors. I swapped them out to the tow mirrors, they will plug right in.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Rob.D
Elder User
Originally Posted by King Ranch
I actually went the other way, my truck came with standard mirrors. I swapped them out to the tow mirrors, they will plug right in.
Are they both power fold?

Trending Topics

Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM
RyPow
Junior User
Originally Posted by Rob.D
Are they both power fold?
No, the telescopic trailer tow mirrors are NOT power-folding on the F150. Only the mirror glass is power. You need to go to the Super Duty with the PowerScope mirrors to get power-telescopic.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Ok, so I could get the Max tow package with the tow mirrors. Swap them out with the paddle mirrors and retain the heated glass feature just no power fold. I think I got it!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:48 PM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by Rob.D
Ok, so I could get the Max tow package with the tow mirrors. Swap them out with the paddle mirrors and retain the heated glass feature just no power fold. I think I got it!
that is correct

Old 03-08-2012, 08:59 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck came with standard mirrors and I put Ford tow mirrors on.
1. Remove the door panel (a few screws and pop the panel off).
2. Un-plug the power supply to the back of the mirror and un-bolt.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:17 PM
pickupman81
New User
Question

For those who have made the upgrade...

I have a 2010 F150 SCrew with power "paddles"...

if I get the telescopic heated with puddle mirrors (and i'm assuming the turn signal as well) - is the wiring present for all that already? I've read about people doing upgrades, but having to run wires... I'm looking for a direct swap upgrade to towing mirrors, but retaining the power functionality... Not really into having a semi-functional upgrade (meaning some parts work, some parts don't).

thanks!

Old 11-16-2012, 04:09 PM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by pickupman81
For those who have made the upgrade...

I have a 2010 F150 SCrew with power "paddles"...

if I get the telescopic heated with puddle mirrors (and i'm assuming the turn signal as well) - is the wiring present for all that already? I've read about people doing upgrades, but having to run wires... I'm looking for a direct swap upgrade to towing mirrors, but retaining the power functionality... Not really into having a semi-functional upgrade (meaning some parts work, some parts don't).

thanks!
I added them on my truck when I bought it, they did not have to run any wires at all.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:40 PM
longboxlover
Junior User
literally just did the mirror swap on my 2012 xlt from paddles to tow mirrors. it was very simple, theres actually a video i found on you tube someone else did showing how to remove door panels. you still remove the screws but when i did mine i didn't remove the panels i just lifted them up to release the top part and then lower it back down and let it rest on the hooks that are on the bottom of the panel. 3 bolts and the wire harness was plug and play. no worries. my only question is it says the mirrors are heated both the paddles and now the tow but where is the switch for that?

Old 11-16-2012, 07:45 PM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by longboxlover
literally just did the mirror swap on my 2012 xlt from paddles to tow mirrors. it was very simple, theres actually a video i found on you tube someone else did showing how to remove door panels. you still remove the screws but when i did mine i didn't remove the panels i just lifted them up to release the top part and then lower it back down and let it rest on the hooks that are on the bottom of the panel. 3 bolts and the wire harness was plug and play. no worries. my only question is it says the mirrors are heated both the paddles and now the tow but where is the switch for that?
should be the same switch for the rear defrost, well for my truck it is anyways.

Quick Reply: Max tow mirror to paddle mirror swap?