Sponsored by: Moser

SYNC problem -- can't disable privacy mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:23 AM
skizzo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SYNC problem -- can't disable privacy mode

When I got in my truck tonight after work, for some reason my iphone-SYNC went into privacy mode and I cannot get it back out. I have tried everything I can, spent probably 20 minutes with the manual in hand, ran through sequence after sequence in the controls, and no luck. Every call immediately jumps to "In Privacy". I don't believe I did anything to enable it in the first place, and the sequence shown in the manual does not work to back out of it.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of disconnecting the phone entirely and re-SYNCing, but wanted to ask if I'm overlooking something first. Thanks.

Bill.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Moving to 2009+ forum for better visibility of thread.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I remember several issues with iPhones and Privacy Mode.

Look through the Owner-to-Owner forums at syncmyride.com. Might find a solution there.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:10 AM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you're on a call with the iPhone and its connected via bluetooth to Sync, if you pull the phone away from your face where the speaker phone option button is on the screen it should now say "audio options" or something of the sort. Then if you hit it, it should give you the three options for making a call: iPhone(handset), speakerphone, and Sync. I hope that helps you.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Champ198
Elder User
you will need to delete the phone via the sync phone setting on the radio and delete the radio or "sync" from your phone, then repair.

mine did that same thing after i tried to run the sync status checker tool (which doesn't work).

Old 03-02-2012, 06:57 PM
skizzo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Moving to 2009+ forum for better visibility of thread.
Thanks Tim.

Thank you others for the suggestions, will spend some time trying options over the weekend.

Bill.

EDIT: So I tried both looking at the iphone screen interface when on a call, and it was a normal iphone screen... nothing noting the SYNC connection, but the truck screen recognized it and showed "In Privacy." So then I disconnected the SYNC on my phone, deleted the phone from the truck SYNC, and repaired the phone. No luck, still sent straight to privacy. I'll keep working on it, but do welcome more suggestions. I would have thought deleting and repairing the phone would have been the sure-fire solution.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried to reboot the Sync system? You can restore it factory defaults as well but try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and then reconnect it. That will reboot the system and hopefully clear out all data about the phone.
After all, we are dealing with a Microsoft product here.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:21 AM
skizzo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by shotgunz
I think I remember several issues with iPhones and Privacy Mode.

Look through the Owner-to-Owner forums at syncmyride.com. Might find a solution there.
Thanks. There's a very long thread, going on four years now, on exactly this issue here:

Owner to Owner

Not surprisingly, it's a big debate between whether it's a phone or a SYNC isssue. I'm going to try a hard reboot to my iphone as the next step. You can't pop out the battery like on other phones when they have problems. Will report back.

Bill.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:42 PM
skizzo
Freshman User
Quick follow-up... before going to a full reset of the iphone, I just tried turning it off and then restarting after a minute or so. I did this while sitting in the truck with the phone still paired. When the phone powered back up, it worked fine without me touching anything on the truck side. The message on the SYNC display was back to normal and both inbound and outbound calls worked right.

Still not clear whether it's a phone or SYNC problem, but restarting the phone worked for me this time. Others on the SYNC site note that a full reset of the phone might be needed if powering down and up doesn't work.

Hope this helps, thanks for the leads.

Bill.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:03 AM
JDNott
New User
Originally Posted by skizzo
When I got in my truck tonight after work, for some reason my iphone-SYNC went into privacy mode and I cannot get it back out. I have tried everything I can, spent probably 20 minutes with the manual in hand, ran through sequence after sequence in the controls, and no luck. Every call immediately jumps to "In Privacy". I don't believe I did anything to enable it in the first place, and the sequence shown in the manual does not work to back out of it.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of disconnecting the phone entirely and re-SYNCing, but wanted to ask if I'm overlooking something first. Thanks.

Bill.
How To – Enter Privacy Mode During A Hands-Free Call | How To Use SYNC

Old 11-21-2013, 08:08 AM
JDNott
New User
Had the same problem and found this quick fix, above. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Richard T Palmer
New User
I had the same problem with my iPhone and MyFordTouch, incoming calls would go to privacy setting turned ON and I would have to use the iPhone to talk.

I had the iPhone setting for incoming calls to answer to go to "Speaker", but having this setting caused the MyFordtouch to go to "Privacy" for all incoming calls.

To fix this on the iPhone, go to <code>Settings > General > Accessibility > Incoming Calls</code> the settings available are "Default" "Headset" and "Speaker", mine was set to "Speaker" and when I set it to "Default", all incoming calls were answered in MyFordTouch with "Privacy" turned off.

Solved my problem! May solve yours.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:20 AM
derek4343
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skizzo
When I got in my truck tonight after work, for some reason my iphone-SYNC went into privacy mode and I cannot get it back out. I have tried everything I can, spent probably 20 minutes with the manual in hand, ran through sequence after sequence in the controls, and no luck. Every call immediately jumps to "In Privacy". I don't believe I did anything to enable it in the first place, and the sequence shown in the manual does not work to back out of it. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of disconnecting the phone entirely and re-SYNCing, but wanted to ask if I'm overlooking something first. Thanks. Bill.
Make sure your ringer is on. Not on vibrate