6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 guys PLEASE check this out

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:52 AM
cpnhgnjnky
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.4 guys PLEASE check this out

On my wifes 08 I kept getting a coolant smell outside of the truck but could never find any on the ground until 1 day I saw about 2 oz. The fluid loss was minimal, but hey I want a perfect truck. Anyhow when I took the truck in to get serviced I told them of the problem. They said this is a common problem especially in the hotter states ( I am in Tx were most summer days are over 100). They replaced the radiator because of a common o ring issue. So I got a new radiator and all new fluids throughout the motor because of this. This was all no questions asked. Take this as you will, just thought you guys would like to know about this.

Matthew

PS this did come with the new radiator cap.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
watch the fluid in the degas bottle for the level. there maybe some air still in it so you may need to add a bit.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:18 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cpnhgnjnky
On my wifes 08 I kept getting a coolant smell outside of the truck but could never find any on the ground until 1 day I saw about 2 oz. The fluid loss was minimal, but hey I want a perfect truck. Anyhow when I took the truck in to get serviced I told them of the problem. They said this is a common problem especially in the hotter states ( I am in Tx were most summer days are over 100). They replaced the radiator because of a common o ring issue. So I got a new radiator and all new fluids throughout the motor because of this. This was all no questions asked. Take this as you will, just thought you guys would like to know about this.

Matthew

The common o-ring problem replaces the radiator hoses, not the radiators. You sure they changed the radiator and not the hoses? Haven't heard of them replacing the radiator unless the radiator was split, which you don't indicate.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:05 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The degas bottle and cap are both suppose to be replaced along with any radiator replacement.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:11 AM
cpnhgnjnky
Elder User
I basically got a whole new system. I looked over the work/parts order and install myself. Just thought you all might want to look into this.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:37 PM
powerskull
Freshman User

Matthew

cpnhgnjnky, where do you live in texas? I a may be going to San Antonio soon and thought you could point me in the direction of a good dealership. Thanks

Old 03-01-2012, 03:52 AM
cpnhgnjnky
Elder User
I had to change the dealer I was using due to a closure. That being said the one in Lampasas is awesome. They have truely gone above and beyond time after time for my wife and I on all our vehicles. Thats the whole reason I bought from them. They are better than anyone in the past.
The one in Killeen is garbage. They are shifty/shysty money mongers with no concept of customer service. They are near a military base so they have loads of unknowing customers that rotate through constantly so they do not have to care. Plus they jack up their prices for that reason. Case in point the 08 SD I bought(Hofpaur Ford in Lampasas) the wife was immaculate with 16000 mi was $30,000 owned by an old man until he passed. Only driven on good days and maintained to a T. They even worked on the price to drop it down more. They call me by my first name two years after buying the truck.
The one in Killeen was an 08 with 70,000 and they wanted $36,000 wouldn't budge an inch and it wasn't anywhere near as clean or maintained.
If you get there email me and I can show you around more. Hope this helped some.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 AM
powerskull
Freshman User
I had to change the dealer I was using due to a closure. That being said the one in Lampasas is awesome. They have truely gone above and beyond time after time for my wife and I on all our vehicles. Thats the whole reason I bought from them. They are better than anyone in the past.
The one in Killeen is garbage. They are shifty/shysty money mongers with no concept of customer service. They are near a military base so they have loads of unknowing customers that rotate through constantly so they do not have to care. Plus they jack up their prices for that reason. Case in point the 08 SD I bought(Hofpaur Ford in Lampasas) the wife was immaculate with 16000 mi was $30,000 owned by an old man until he passed. Only driven on good days and maintained to a T. They even worked on the price to drop it down more. They call me by my first name two years after buying the truck.
The one in Killeen was an 08 with 70,000 and they wanted $36,000 wouldn't budge an inch and it wasn't anywhere near as clean or maintained.
If you get there email me and I can show you around more. Hope this helped some.
Thanks!
I hope to be moving there in July or so from Alaska. I cant wait to get the fiver hooked up and travel down the ALCAN! I may just take you up on that. I have been to San Antonio before so I do know where you are talking about. I have a great dealer here to and am sorry to leave them. they are so great my wife did a commercial for them and she was famous for a bit.JK They were also so good they converted a long time Chevy fan to the SD. I have had some minor problems but eveytime they make it so easy I dont even mind the 25 minute drive.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:26 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
That one of the only downfalls of the 6.4 is that the radiator has a tendency to split or crack open. There is a guy out there who will be making a 100% metal core and end caps one that will be out soon for around the same price as a stock one.