6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

High idle for manual trans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:33 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
High idle for manual trans?

I've been reading up on the high idle mod, and from what I have found it appears that I can't just install a switch and make it work.

What do I need to do to have a high idle?

Does the APCM replace the PCM?

What happens if you put voltage on circuit 322 on a manual trans truck?

Old 01-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Crash16
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll give this a bump, I'm in the same boat. We can wait for the experts. Lol.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 AM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
bump........

Old 01-24-2012, 04:45 PM
DevilDocTater
Master of Disaster
Im in the same boat as well. Im pretty sure we have to use an Auxiliary Idle Control Module. It attaches via a Pig Tail Underneath your dash. Search AIC on ebay

Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 PM
77-250
Senior User
My `06 has the 6 speed, my build sheet says it has the high idle option. Parking brake on, flip switch number 4 and it kicks it up to high idle. I'm pretty sure its the same either manual or auto.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:21 PM
busflyer
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been fussing with this for a while. There is a difference between the manual and auto shift tranny. As I recall the body builders book stated that the Manual tranny needed a resistor between the switch and the orange wire with the white stripe(don't take my word for it on the coloring though). The other method that was available was the BPC or battery protection circuit which was the purple wire with a blue tracer (again with the above disclaimer). From what I have read the BPC would not require the resistor. It would drive the idle to a minimum of 1200 RPM when switched on but then modulates the RPM based on electrical load being pulled from your system up to around 2300 RPM if memory serves. I have a winch that I will be using and wanted the BPC but can't get it to work in my situation so far but I may have other issues as well. I can't get my cruise control to work either which depends on all of the same switches as inputs, parking brake, clutch, brake pedal and gear shift position. Anyway, there are others on here more well versed than I that have at least been able to point me in the right direction as far as troubleshooting. I just haven't pulled the trigger on buying new switches for all these components yet.
Eric

Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 PM
IHbase
Elder User
I don't understand the problem here. I did the high idle modification by simply hooking a switched hot lead to the correct wire. The 6sp is just like the auto- same mod. Works great. -Mike

Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 PM
77-250
Senior User
Originally Posted by busflyer
I've been fussing with this for a while. There is a difference between the manual and auto shift tranny. As I recall the body builders book stated that the Manual tranny needed a resistor between the switch and the orange wire with the white stripe(don't take my word for it on the coloring though). The other method that was available was the BPC or battery protection circuit which was the purple wire with a blue tracer (again with the above disclaimer). From what I have read the BPC would not require the resistor. It would drive the idle to a minimum of 1200 RPM when switched on but then modulates the RPM based on electrical load being pulled from your system up to around 2300 RPM if memory serves. I have a winch that I will be using and wanted the BPC but can't get it to work in my situation so far but I may have other issues as well. I can't get my cruise control to work either which depends on all of the same switches as inputs, parking brake, clutch, brake pedal and gear shift position. Anyway, there are others on here more well versed than I that have at least been able to point me in the right direction as far as troubleshooting. I just haven't pulled the trigger on buying new switches for all these components yet.
Eric
I wasn't aware the truck knew what gear it was in, besides reverse. The clutch switch must work because you can start the truck, right? The brake switch probably works because the brake lights work. Does the parking brake light work in the dash? The switch is probably good. You could ohm out all these switch if you wanted, resistance should be very low. I don't know if the cruise control system is based on engine speed or vehicle speed, I assume its probably vehicle speed. Its most likely the same as an auto truck.

My cruise isn't working right at the moment. Once a speed is set it will hold, up hill or down. But if you use the set/acc button to go faster it will accelerate for a second then default to off and the truck will just coast, not sure what the problem is at the moment. Hope this helps, somewhat.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM
busflyer
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had seen a picture of a clutch switch that had gone bad on our forum and the poster stated that there were two sides within the switch and that one "side" of the switch could go bad while still allowing the truck to see the clutch pedal was in for starting. At any rate I can't even get my CC to turn on. I know there's some type of self diagnostic within the cruise system but have not been able to come across anyone who knows how to do it. It hasn't worked since the time I bought it two years ago. The switches were my attempt at a hopefully cheap fix compared to trying to have a shop track down an electrical problem. I've put up with it for this long so it must not be to high a priority but it is always in the back of my mind. I'm always open to any additional ideas. It may turn out the two problems are not even related but it would seem unlikely with many of the same inputs. I guess it could be a hokey PCM but I hope not.
Eric

Old 01-24-2012, 11:15 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 665 Likes on 425 Posts
First of all, realize that there is a significant difference between 03-04 trucks and 05+ trucks. +05 trucks have the PTO and BCP wires, plus 3 wires intended for a resistor, either fixed or variable, to control elevated idle speed.

03 and 04 trucks do not have wires specific for resistors. There really is just one wire that, when 12V is put on it, enables the PTO high idle. I did considerable research and tried a number of different combinations of no resistors to various resistor values and never got high idle to work on my truck with a manual transmission.

The Body Builders Guide (link below) references a couple of different APCM options that either give you control direct control, or have additional sets of wires that might make a single switch installation possible. I've not tried any of them.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...bodybuild.html

Old 01-25-2012, 07:04 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
It's always been my understanding the '03-'04 gear grinder trucks need an auxiliary idle control box for the high idle. If there is a way to just hook a couple of wires up & have the high idle mod on the manual tranny equipped trucks...I'm listen.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 AM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by IHbase
I don't understand the problem here. I did the high idle modification by simply hooking a switched hot lead to the correct wire. The 6sp is just like the auto- same mod. Works great. -Mike
What year is your truck and what transmission do you have?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 AM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
I have managed to find this company---http://www.inpowerllc.com/electronicthrottlecontrols_ford.php

They claim that their product will work and they also offer the BCP circuit, a couple of preset idle speeds, and a variable speed option with a rheostat. It appears to be the same components sold here---
Ford Truck, Van & SUV - Off Road Engineering LLC