6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

What's a decent OBD scanner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:39 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's a decent OBD scanner?

I'm tempted to go buy a code scanner.

What's your recommendation for one that performs reasonably well for our trucks in terms of being able to check Ford-diesel specific codes/PID's. Realtime logging would be good. I'm looking for something beyond the simple code-reader and would like to be able to read individual sensors for debugging.

AutoEnginuity looks extremely useful, but I'm not sure I'm willing to invest so much $$ as an 'above-average' weekend user. I see some OBD adapters that hook to laptops...what are some of the better debugging tools that use those? How about those handheld Innova/Equus units?

Any experience that you can share would be great!

Old 01-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I have the AutoEnginuity unit and honestly couldn't recommend anything cheaper. You obviously want something that can read the specific codes as well as interface with the different CAN-controlled modules in your truck. Unfortunately something cheaper will likely not have the same capabilities and may leave you disappointed.

I can log data, view live data from nearly any sensor I want, reprogram tire sizes, reprogram PATS keys, initiate a cylinder power balance test, as well as a host of other functions that many simple scan tools can't. I paid $399 for the Ford bundle and think it to be a good value compared to the other full-featured scan tools that are out there.

I highly recommend it!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Rudiak
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Actron CP9580 is what I have. I have used it to pull codes and get real time data. It even gives the most probable fixes.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:57 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eBay has Ford IDS cables/software. It's obviously not the full tech/dealership version, but for $100 I'm considering trying it out.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:22 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Scanguage II, which you really should have anyway to keep an eye on DPF temp, oil temp, trans temp, etc. also has code reader functionality. Beyond that Autoenginuity is the best low cost live data scanner I know of. I have both, and the next step after that if I found the need would be straight to the $$$$ Ford VCM/IDS setup.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:34 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
I have an Equus Innova that I like pretty well. Does what I need it to do except ABS sensors. That one was not available when I bought mine.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by wp6529
The Scanguage II, which you really should have anyway to keep an eye on DPF temp, oil temp, trans temp, etc. also has code reader functionality. Beyond that Autoenginuity is the best low cost live data scanner I know of. I have both, and the next step after that if I found the need would be straight to the $$$$ Ford VCM/IDS setup.
Do you have the required commands to read DPF data? I've had my ScanGauge since just before I bought my first diesel pickup but never was able to read DPF information.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:54 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, ideally, having the Ford IDS would be ideal, but a 4-digit price tag is a bit extreme

I was looking at the Innova/Equus scan tool. Looks like it sees all of the IM flags which is convenient. Does it give any other vehicle specific information like PCM/TCM CAL versions or DPF load or regen status (wishful thinking) I assume Autenginuity shows all of that?

Old 01-08-2012, 06:04 AM
wp6529
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Do you have the required commands to read DPF data? I've had my ScanGauge since just before I bought my first diesel pickup but never was able to read DPF information.
The Ford 6.4 specific Xgauge information is here:

Ford Specific XGauges : Linear Logic : Home of the ScanGauge

It's a bit of a pain to enter all of it, would be nice if they provided a USB interface for programming, but it doesn't take that long to enter.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:38 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the money, Scangauge II is the direction that I took for now. I am quite surpised and quite happy with mine. It will pull and clear codes, and not just generic, it will pull all Ford codes.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by wp6529
The Ford 6.4 specific Xgauge information is here:

Ford Specific XGauges : Linear Logic : Home of the ScanGauge

It's a bit of a pain to enter all of it, would be nice if they provided a USB interface for programming, but it doesn't take that long to enter.
Thanks, that must be relatively new! I don't check back frequently, as for the longest time there were no changes to their X-gauge commands!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:45 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had AutoEnginuity (Ford, GM, Toyota bundle) for many years; I think you will find it hard to beat.

I have a AutoXray EZ Scan 6000 that I have had since that model first came out (it was an upgrade to earlier model). I have the EZ-Charge with the Midtronics conductance battery load testing add-on. I usually use the 6000 to read codes in other people's vehicles, etc. because it is quick and easy vs. dragging my laptop out.

You can look cylinder injector trim values with AE; some believe this can be an indicator of problem pending. I would like to have Chrysler but it wasn't offered when I purchased AE (and they won't trade my Toyota for same). AE will allow you to look at many different modules on your Ford; I don't think most of the lower cost scan tools will allow same. (ABS, GEM, Transmission, etc.) I am going from memory and cannot remember them all. Like Tom said you can do PATS key programming; and you can look up that missing door keypad code.

I would love to have the Ford Rotunda IDS VCM; too much money; but stay away from the low cost copycat Chinese clones.

I would buy a Scangauge II if I could look at the miles since last regen; this is another PID I can look at with AE, but I don't want to lug a laptop on the console all the time. I fabbed a platform that dropped in the cup holders on my 06, angled toward driver with a strap to secure the laptop; but haven't done same for the 08.

I think AE is good value for price.

Bob

Old 01-08-2012, 09:47 AM
wp6529
More Turbo
Originally Posted by bnmccoy
I have had AutoEnginuity (Ford, GM, Toyota bundle) for many years; I think you will find it hard to beat.

I have a AutoXray EZ Scan 6000 that I have had since that model first came out (it was an upgrade to earlier model). I have the EZ-Charge with the Midtronics conductance battery load testing add-on. I usually use the 6000 to read codes in other people's vehicles, etc. because it is quick and easy vs. dragging my laptop out.

You can look cylinder injector trim values with AE; some believe this can be an indicator of problem pending. I would like to have Chrysler but it wasn't offered when I purchased AE (and they won't trade my Toyota for same). AE will allow you to look at many different modules on your Ford; I don't think most of the lower cost scan tools will allow same. (ABS, GEM, Transmission, etc.) I am going from memory and cannot remember them all. Like Tom said you can do PATS key programming; and you can look up that missing door keypad code.

I would love to have the Ford Rotunda IDS VCM; too much money; but stay away from the low cost copycat Chinese clones.

I would buy a Scangauge II if I could look at the miles since last regen; this is another PID I can look at with AE, but I don't want to lug a laptop on the console all the time. I fabbed a platform that dropped in the cup holders on my 06, angled toward driver with a strap to secure the laptop; but haven't done same for the 08.

I think AE is good value for price.

Bob
FYI, AE will work nicely on a number of the tablet devices that run Win7 and have USB ports. Much more compact than a full laptop.