1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Aussie F3 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 04:19 AM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aussie F3 Restoration

Greetings from down under. I have just picked myself up a 49 F3 in pretty amazing condition, almost no rust and very complete. It has been sitting inside a shed (barn) for the last 20 years until I found it. After cleaning the rubbish off the tray I had it running in about an hour. The restoration is about to start and I will keep it original except for wheels. Plans are for meadow green paint and a polished timber bed. Hope you all like it.

I also picked this one up at the same time, future project.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:01 AM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome aboard mate, and nice finds. Friendly guys on here and lots of knowledge too. Enjoy. John

Old 12-16-2011, 05:03 AM
lexcoe
Elder User
Interesting park lights on your 49.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:07 AM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
Yes, the Aussie version had the park lights out on the fenders rather than in the grille.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:11 AM
f3f350
Junior User
On the drivers side door of the '49, is that that some kind of turn signal? Its early here & im not fully awake but it looks like a hand on a stick.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:17 AM
lexcoe
Elder User
I learn something new every day LOL John

Old 12-16-2011, 05:45 AM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by f3f350
On the drivers side door of the '49, is that that some kind of turn signal? Its early here & im not fully awake but it looks like a hand on a stick.
You're correct, it is a hand on a stick. There were known as a trafficator and was used as the turn signal. You pull down on the stick to extend it upwards and then there is a plunger inside the main tube which you press in and out to make the hand wave up and down. The 47 has it also, fairly rare items today as most were removed in favour of modern blinkers. I guess it worked just fine, as long as you only ever turned right. And your window was down.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 AM
f3f350
Junior User
Thats great!, very unique. The trafficator. I guess if someone cuts you off while driving you could pull along side them and smack them with it as well.....

Old 12-16-2011, 06:38 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 271 Likes on 219 Posts
I'll add my welcome, glad to have you hanging around. You'll find this a good group. The "trafficator" concept looks to have been used across the British empire. In my past I was deep into Brit cars and saw many old Austins and others that had trafficators built into their "B" pillars. As I recall they were used on both sides of the vehicles.

As you go along and start looking for replacement wheels, as you mentioned, we can link you to old threads on the subject. From the look of the wheels on the '49 it may already have had the originals replaced. Also, the wheels on your 42-47 1.5 ton are rather unique. The eight hand holes tell us they are Motor Wheel Corporation products, while trucks in the states came with Budd brand wheels having five hand holes. Stu

Old 12-16-2011, 06:49 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 133 Likes on 57 Posts
Hey! The steering wheel is on the wrong side! Good looking truck. Looks pretty solid. I can't believe the engine wasn't stuck.

Okay, I will ask a stupid question. What's that small cylinder on the firewall beside the solenoid? Turn signal blinker?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 AM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
I'll add my welcome, glad to have you hanging around. You'll find this a good group. The "trafficator" concept looks to have been used across the British empire. In my past I was deep into Brit cars and saw many old Austins and others that had trafficators built into their "B" pillars. As I recall they were used on both sides of the vehicles.

As you go along and start looking for replacement wheels, as you mentioned, we can link you to old threads on the subject. From the look of the wheels on the '49 it may already have had the originals replaced. Also, the wheels on your 42-47 1.5 ton are rather unique. The eight hand holes tell us they are Motor Wheel Corporation products, while trucks in the states came with Budd brand wheels having five hand holes. Stu
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, a lot of the Brit cars did have them built into the B pillar, bit sophistocated for me.... Even though I'm an Aussie I've never been into Brit stuff, I'm all about American iron. Most days I get around in a 29 Pontiac.

I have already read most of the threads on rims, some fantastic info on here, I think I'll be a regular. I'm pretty sure they are still the original rims but for some reason it has a couple of later 60s F100 caps on it. The tyres are 17" which is a bit of a giveaway. They weigh roughly one metric tonne each, feels like it anyway. Not really sure what I'll do yet, 8 stud F250 diffs are kinda scarce in Aussie land.

Not sure what's happening with the wheels on the jailbar, only the two left side wheels are 8 hole, the others are all 5 hole. I'll put the 8 holes on the rear inners and have all 5 holes showing.

Last edited by aussiecowboy; 12-16-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: More info
Old 12-16-2011, 07:50 AM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Doc
Hey! The steering wheel is on the wrong side! Good looking truck. Looks pretty solid. I can't believe the engine wasn't stuck.

Okay, I will ask a stupid question. What's that small cylinder on the firewall beside the solenoid? Turn signal blinker?
Honest answer... no idea mate. I work away on the oil rigs and only picked it up the day before I flew out. Doubt it's a flasher can though as there are no blinkers on it and no controls for them in the cab. I'm currently off the coast of India so can't even go and check it out. It has been converted to 12v neg ground at some point (found that out the hard way) so it might be connected to that.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Cody_1948
Tuned
Gday Mate, Great looking F3 and early 1946-1947 ?? Ford.... Your F3 is in very good shape... Love your ideal with the green paint job.. I too am going with green on my 1948 F1... I didnt know if you knew but the F3s did come with a boif you wanted to find on they are out there)....
Hope too see more photos of your truck...
Cody

Old 12-17-2011, 09:57 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,121 Likes on 821 Posts
Welcome, good to see another larger truck on the board.

I also have a question about the front parking lights. Do the fenders have a raised area for the parking lights? If so, they might be the same fenders used on Mercury trucks.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:44 AM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome aboard. Very nice find.I hope you will keep us updated on your restoration progress. I got to be pretty good friends with a mason when I was in Perth in 95 - 96. He had a late 70s F250 with a flat bed but I don't remember seeing many Ford F series on the road. There were a lot of 4 door utes. At the time I wondered why there were no 4 door pickups in the US because they looked very useful. Well, we finally caught on over here.

Quick Reply: Aussie F3 Restoration