6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Anybody install strobes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:30 AM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by dmags
Cool did you remove the light or were you able to drill it and install it mounted? did you use upfitter's? pass through wires ? do you have any pics? did you run them on taillights? if so were did you run wires ? sorry so many questions but i have had these for a while and posted here and never had a response from someone who installed whelen led's
Drilled through both layers of bezel. Connected to up fitter switches, had to drill through firewall to run the wires. Mounted thenwhelen box under the rear locked seat, driver side rear. Ran rear wires through rubber pressure release at rear of cab to rear lights. Just zip tied them along bed frame.

Not a hard install...just be careful with the bulbs. Make sure you have enough clearance before forcing into the hole you have to drill.

Shane

Old 01-20-2012, 09:40 AM
machine62
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine aren't the Whelen brand but they essentially are the same. Here is the link to what i installed.
Strobes N' More
Had to remove the headlights and drill the holes on the workbench. I used upfitter #4 and synced the front and rear together. I ran the wires into the cab from the access cover underneath the carpet on the drivers floor. For the back i just ran the wires along the inside of the frame rail the best i could. The whole thing was pretty straight forward. The only issue i can into was having a long bed, the wires for the rear lights didnt make it all the way up to the upfitter wires and I had to solder on extensions. Maybe the whelens longer leads.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:27 PM
dmags
Senior User
Thanks for the info I am gonna install them the next day it is above freezing

Old 01-20-2012, 07:23 PM
paver56
Freshman User
Thanks for all of the info. I installed the same Ecco kit as Marauder92v did.
I had a problem with the power distribution box and Ecco sent me a new one without any hesitation. They were very helpful. Drilling through the light assemblies was a little nerve racking but they turned out great. They are very bright. It is supposed to snow tonight so I will get to try them out when I go out plowing.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:35 PM
'08FX4
Senior User
The only problem I had with the drilling process is that it's basically impossible to not wind up with some shavings or plastic chips inside the headlight assembly when your done, and the almost immediately cling to whatever flat plast surface they fall near. Other than that it's not too too bad. I wish I had taken some pictures durring the install, but it took me almost 12 hours to do start to finish, because I am so freaking **** about anything involving wiring. I have the cables from the power supply to each bulb, either wrapped, jacketed, hidden, or all of the above- for every single inch from start to finish. Mounted my whelen power supply behind the rear driver side seat, connected to upfitter switch 4, all wires from upfitters are Biden along with the factory wiring that is under the plastic trim panels on the floor, (there's lots of wires under there) ran my cables out through a rubber grommet hole I found in the floor under the carpet.

If you really wanted to get fancy, and not have to drill through two layers of headlight housing- you can open the factory headlight up. They are glued together but can be opened, and re-glued without a lot of drama.

Basically you need to remove the headlight assembly, and heat it in the oven at around 225 for 7-10 minutes, and then pry it apart.

There's some how to videos on hidplanet.com showing how to do it.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:32 AM
dmags
Senior User
I haven't opened the package yet but I have the vertex super led vtx609.which is a self contained unit that has a lamp/flash driver in line. They come with a 9' harness that is why I had so many questions about the install. They were/are ?the cats meow from what I was told when I got them a while back. I just dont wan't to screw up the headlight on a brand new truck. I was thinking about being a nancy and have it done.But the more I think about that I could *uck it myself and not have to pay someone to do it for me.
btw is there any way to keep out or clean out the headlight assembly without having a stroke?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:42 AM
'08FX4
Senior User
Well, the first set I ever did was on my '08. The only thin I could come up with was to remove all the bulbs and put a shop vac nozzle over one of them, and blow compressed air into the others. That got out most of it.

When I did the install on the '11, I removed all the other bulbs before drilling, and ran the shop vac over the turn signal bulb hole while I was drilling the new one, the results were less shavings got in there, but there were still some present when I was done drilling

I think in the how to video's I mentioned, they said you could do it with a heat gun too, but that it would be more difficult because you. Opulent heat the whole headlight assembly evenly.

Fwiw- even if you have someone install them for you, I'd bet you still wind up with some fragments in there. Mine have a few in there now, but I'm the only fool that notices them. I will get in there and get them cleaned out totally in the spring when I do my projector headlight retrofit into the stock headlights, which is how I wound up on that hidworld website to begin with.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:31 PM
dmags
Senior User
Thanks for the info... I guess I will dive in when the weather gets warmer or I can get some heat in the garage

Old 01-22-2012, 08:23 AM
Jammin1
Freshman User
Here are some pictures of the strobe install
This is the back side of the tail lights. I was able to get the strobe into the reverse lens but it was tight

The front was easier, but there are a couple of tricks to help out
On the outer shell drill a min. 1 3/8" hole with hole saw. Once outer shell is drilled switch out to a 1" hole saw and drill lens. Use vacuum during the drilling so chips are sucked out of lens.

Drill into some foam board using 1 3/8" hole saw and remove plug. Put slit in it so wires can pass through to middle of plug.

Put into hole in outer shell of light and silicon in. If there is ever a need to get the strobe out the plug could be remove easily

Thats about it
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Old 01-22-2012, 12:16 PM
dmags
Senior User
Nice pics Thanks,It does look pretty straight foward. So you installed the fronts in the headlights and the rears in reverse light ?

Old 01-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Jammin1
Freshman User
I put the strobes in the turn signal lens up front becuase it was up higher than the head light. i was afraid the plow would block the strobe if it was in the head light lens.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 PM
DrewF
Senior User
I put my front strobes in the grill as I did not want to drill into the headlight housing due to the double wall.

I put strobes-n-more clear in my backup lights. I had mis-ordered and meant to order red to put in the tail light.

I want to put amber LED strobes in my dome light on the back of the cab. I have cheap LED amber bulbs in there now hooked to a flasher.

See my post here

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-strobes.html