6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Anybody install strobes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 PM
paver56
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody install strobes?

I want to put strobe lights on my truck-for when I plow and when on the jobsite, I am an asphalt paver and park along the road alot. I use my truck for work as well as personal use. I do not want a big light on top of my truck like I have on the other work trucks. I have seen strobes that you install in by drilling a hole in the headlight assembly. I am nervous about getting moisture in assembly. Anyone do this? Does anyone have a better solution?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:44 PM
deedsF350
Junior User
My friend put some on his 450 and has had them in sence it was new in 2008 and has not had no problem with them yes he did drill holes in the head light he put em in fog lights also

Old 12-02-2011, 05:27 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the sho-me xenon kit. Installed it on 3 tucks so far. As long as you drill the right size hole and seal with silicone and gasket, no worries. It is possible to hack it up so you are right to be cautious.

Looking at the Whelen products, seems that LED bulb technology just about matches the brightness of the xenon flash bulbs. Def a change in the market and I may go that route next time. Should be easier to install.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 AM
machine62
Senior User
I have the hidden clear LED strobes on all four corners from strobes n more. One in each headlight and one in each reverse tail light. It was kind of nerve racking drilling a 1" hole into my brand new Recon LED tail lights but everything works well. I noticed a little moisture a couple days later but havent seen any since.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 AM
garrettwynne
Freshman User
I had a federal signal strobe kit in my 05' 6.0, and had no problems. Had to drill into the housing for the lights, but the strobes were on a rubber gasket with a groove that fit pretty snug. First go around installing I broke a couple strobes because I didn't drill enough width. No moisture problems, just be careful when drilling as the excess shavings will be a pain to get out of the housing.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:40 AM
dc.snowball
New User
i have installed the whalen strobes on several of our trucks. i just completed inatalling a set of led strobes on my '11 f350. put them in the front turn-signal/running light and the lower un-used cavity in the tail-lights. they work ok in the back...but...that lower cavity has no refelection and the led's are pretty much directional. the led advantage is that you don't need a separate power supply box. good luck. need snow

Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 AM
aaronbrace
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely go with LED 'stobes'. Their current draw is minimal. You could park on the road and run them for hours with the truck not even running.

With traditional strobes, XENONS, etc you really want to stay idling while they are running. With the price of diesel nowadays the difference in cost for the LEDs can be paid for quite quickly.

---Aaron

Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 AM
dc.snowball
New User
aaronbrace...would disagree somewhat. we had/have the whalen xenons on several ntrucks. we have used them for several hours w/ ign. off.. without incident. will agree.. can use led's much longer... maybe for days ....lol

Old 01-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How about some vids of your guys LED setup.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
I installed Whalen flashing.

Go to YouTube and search" srkr1432"

You will see my truck installed with the flashers activated.

Also there is another video of the rears installed....and one of a airstream Santa.....

Shane

Old 01-18-2012, 05:41 PM
rgrat1618
Freshman User
Guys in PA, be careful with headlight and taillight strobes and or LEDs. There are a couple of state troopers around the pittsburgh area that will ticket you for them. PA's laws are old and out dated but it is still not legal for anyone other them emergancey vechials to have headlight and tail lights strobes. I even have the ticket to prove it.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:52 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know it's hard and stressful but the only real effective way to get a good flash in the rear (haha) is to get the strobe in the clear reverse light section of the rear lense assembly.

If not for commercial vehicle inspections I would even do away with the factory light bulb in there to get a strobe bulb in there. Then add reverse lights under the bumper. (I get a dot inspection annually even though the jury is out on whether I need to or not)

Old 01-19-2012, 08:17 PM
dmags
Senior User
do you have any details on drilling the lights? Where/how I have a set of whelen LED's I want to install but I am a little concerned ...It looks like there is a outer bezel that you need to go through It is a one shot deal and I want it to come out mint.Thanks for your reply in advance.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:28 AM
machine62
Senior User
Yes there are two layers. I drilled through both of them with one shot and then came back and ground just the outer layer away just enough to get the light through. It made me pretty nervous drilling the first hole but it turned out good with zero issues.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 AM
dmags
Senior User
Originally Posted by machine62
Yes there are two layers. I drilled through both of them with one shot and then came back and ground just the outer layer away just enough to get the light through. It made me pretty nervous drilling the first hole but it turned out good with zero issues.
Cool did you remove the light or were you able to drill it and install it mounted? did you use upfitter's? pass through wires ? do you have any pics? did you run them on taillights? if so were did you run wires ? sorry so many questions but i have had these for a while and posted here and never had a response from someone who installed whelen led's

Quick Reply: Anybody install strobes?