Sponsored by: Moser

Reduce Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:00 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Reduce Road Noise

So between the growl of my engine and the road/wind noise I get while driving, I have a hard time listing to music, much less talk to someone. What can I do to reduce the overall noise a bit? I plan on putting in material under the headliner when I build one, but where else can I put it?

Thanks
Jameson

Old 11-04-2011, 10:09 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Try "Lizard Skin", these were solely work trucks back in the day, not comfy commuter vehicles one could jam out to 'ABBA' while driving, so sound dampening is lacking, to say the least.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:16 PM
73FOMO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts
Put some sound dampner on the floor board, kick panels, firewall, behind the seats, overhead, and in the doors. The put down some mass vinyl barrier and carpet. Should help quite a bit. Also check and replace all hard rubber around windows and soft door seals.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:24 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im planning to rhino line or similar, both sides of my floor and firewall, inside the doors, and the cab quarters, as well as the back of the cab inside and on the outside where you wont see it. Then 3/8" carpet pad and carpet should work nice. The roof will get dynamat probably.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:28 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
For the ultimate in noise reduction, you'll need to use the following (or equivalent) products in order: Lizardskin, Dynamat, Dynaliner, and Dynapad on the floor, firewall, rear wall, roof, and doors... absolutely everywhere it can be installed.

2x with new window rubbers, felts, and door seals.

Suspension-wise: Rubber bushings, comfy shocks, and tires with highway tread.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:53 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 246 Likes on 155 Posts
And quiet mufflers.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:19 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
With a proper insulation job and all new seals you don't need quiet exhaust. I "dynomated" used the stuf from JC witney the entire floor, firewall, ceiling and doors. On top of that the whole floor, fire wall, ceiling and doors I laid down 1/4" jute. The floor I covered in vinyl. All new window and door seals. Even without the windows rolled up I can carry
on a conversation and I run a mild 460 with headers and dual super 10 Flowmasters.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:06 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
To tide me over, im lookin at gettin this stuff Lowe's and home depot sells, similar to dynamat. I believe its for windows on houses. Anywho, heard of a few people using it, and its cheap so im gunna give it a whirl. At least on the floor and firewall inside the cab.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:22 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Over the next couple months or so i'm going to re-do the interior of my cab, starting at the top and working our way down. Under the headliner will be sound deading material, same for the doors. Under the carpet will be 3/8 felt padding and heat shielding material (the combination did wonders in our '81 class c motorhome). Then some material up the firewall as far as we can without tearing the dash apart. We hope all this will do some good

Old 11-05-2011, 08:48 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jgavac
Over the next couple months or so i'm going to re-do the interior of my cab, starting at the top and working our way down. Under the headliner will be sound deading material, same for the doors. Under the carpet will be 3/8 felt padding and heat shielding material (the combination did wonders in our '81 class c motorhome). Then some material up the firewall as far as we can without tearing the dash apart. We hope all this will do some good
I understand ya on that one. Something im contemplating actually. Taking out the lower ducts or not. Most my sound is from the trans tunnel and lower firewall, but not all. If you dont have AC you should be able to get most the firewall without taking it apart

Old 11-05-2011, 09:20 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
I understand ya on that one. Something im contemplating actually. Taking out the lower ducts or not. Most my sound is from the trans tunnel and lower firewall, but not all. If you dont have AC you should be able to get most the firewall without taking it apart
Haha thats my problem... Theres an aftermarket A/C installed... That pluse everything else (radio, brake controller) results in absolutly no room behind the dash.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:13 AM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might try Raammat. Less expensive than dynamat. Works well, we have done several pickups of varying years and makes a huge difference in all.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:02 PM
74 F350 SCS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Noise

I completely sound deadened my 72 F250. Prior to the project, I could barely carry on a conversation, now it is almost as quiet as my Cadillac (ok, not quite). Here is a video of my results: 72 F250 Ford Sound Deadener.AVI - YouTube

My project consisted of:

Applying rubberized spray-on underspray underneath the truck cab
Applied Zillamat (like Dynamat but cheaper) in the door cavity, entire floor, firewall area, rear cab wall, ceiling/headliner area.
Next applied layer of 3/8" foil backed jute backing insulation to entire floor, firewall, rear cab wall, headliner.
Next applied 1/8" mass loaded vinyl to entire floor.
Purchased custom made floor carpet from Stock Interiors.
Applied layer of jute backed insulation in the door panel and behind dash/cluster and firewall
Installed new door weather seals

I will probably do the same to my 74 F350 but this time I will do the Zillamat and probably the Dynapad/Dynaliner since it is a little easier to work with, although slightly more expensive.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Riderman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by co425
With a proper insulation job and all new seals you don't need quiet exhaust. I "dynomated" used the stuf from JC witney the entire floor, firewall, ceiling and doors. On top of that the whole floor, fire wall, ceiling and doors I laid down 1/4" jute. The floor I covered in vinyl. All new window and door seals. Even without the windows rolled up I can carry
on a conversation and I run a mild 460 with headers and dual super 10 Flowmasters.
I did close to the same thing as co425, including dynomat and jute. He saved me a bunch of typing But I used a complete rubber floor mat designed for these 73-79 trucks from LL on top of the dynomat in the cab floor instead of the vinyl, then I put carpet above the rubber. BIG differance in the noise level inside the cab from factory.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=74 F350 SCS;11027760]I completely sound deadened my 72 F250. Prior to the project, I could barely carry on a conversation, now it is almost as quiet as my Cadillac (ok, not quite).

That sounds great! Good work and thanks for posting the video. It would be hard to beat the sound level you have with a newer SUV, very impressive results.

Quick Reply: Reduce Road Noise