Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case housing worth selling or scrapping?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 PM
GBuckert
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case housing worth selling or scrapping?

So I finally got around to tearing into my old transfer case. The oil pump failed and spun about a year ago and upon opening it up I find this.

Some of it's plastic, plenty of it's metal and it's all over the place. I don't think I'll rebuild it as the one in the pickup now is fine. All I need to do is swap the shaft over to my new one so my speedometer works.

My question is should I just scrap it for a few bucks, or should I weld the oil pump mount back up and see if I can sell the case halves? I have the tig welding skills to bring it back up to par.

Oh yeah, it's a manual BW 1356.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clean them up & weld it. See if someone is interested, put them on craigslist. Heck you can always sell them for scrap but you want to wait for the scrap prices to be high. But my Ford I just bought has a welded bellhousing & for a few years now the PO (who is a long time friend) has not had any issues with it. So I'm not concerned about it.
Any welder will tell you a weld is stronger then the rest of the case. If the welder knows his business.
Craig

Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd keep it. I scrapped my electric shift housing and didn't get crap for it. It's magnesium (supposed to be anyway) so my scrap yard classified it as Aluminum/Cast and gave me just a couple bucks or so.

Fix it and you'll have a spare or you could sell it to someone that needs a good housing.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Scrap it. You can buy used t-cases for 100, why would anyone one bother with a PATCHED together one

Old 02-15-2013, 10:07 PM
GBuckert
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kermmydog
Any welder will tell you a weld is stronger then the rest of the case. If the welder knows his business.
I'm fully confident in my welding abilities. I really enjoy tig welding, especially on metals similar to aluminum.

Originally Posted by dixie460
I'd keep it. I scrapped my electric shift housing and didn't get crap for it. It's magnesium (supposed to be anyway) so my scrap yard classified it as Aluminum/Cast and gave me just a couple bucks or so.
Magnesium is supposed to scrap for about three times what aluminum does, but being magnesium it's so light that you only get a few bucks for it anyway.

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Scrap it. You can buy used t-cases for 100, why would anyone one bother with a PATCHED together one
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I've looked at plenty of rebuild threads and they always include some sort of fix for where the oil pump wears through the housing with most saying to weld it if you have the skills. In my mind they guys that would rebuild one would also have the capabilities to weld it back up themselves. This makes me think there's not much of a market.

On the other hand the local pick and pull charged me $125 for the case I'm using now and the cheapest used one anywhere else around was over $300 with rebuilt ones going for at least $600. I did find a place online that charges $600 for a new front half! Now that's crazy.