1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

installing an HEI

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 PM
chrissmallwood
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing an HEI

Hello. I decided to upgrade the ignition in my truck and I chose to go with the single wire HEI unit from Skip White. I figured Id try it out and see how it works. Currently I have what looks like a TFI and a duraspark ignition cobbled together in it. My question is how much work is involved with getting it wired in. I read that I only have to hook it up to a wire with 12V+ with the key in run and start. Is it really that simple or is there more involved? Also if I decide to install a tach later on than all I would have to do is run a wire from the extra terminal on the distributor to the tach, correct? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
HEI is not an "upgrade" over a Motorcraft Duraspark or TFI ignition system.

That being said, why would want to put a GM product/design in a FORD?

And who in the heck is "Skip White?" Is that yet another Chinese HEI ignition manufacturer with a shiny billet distributor and pretty red cap?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 PM
79F-1504x4
Senior User
You pretty much have the gist of it. I just installed one and have a writeup on it a few posts down.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
HEI is not an "upgrade" over a Motorcraft Duraspark or TFI ignition system.

That being said, why would want to put a GM product/design in a FORD?
Ok, with THAT being said, I'd like to know why it *wouldn't* be an upgrade? Reason I'm asking is, when I bought my truck, the dizzy was trashed, and the local mech suggested I do the above because (he said) the parts stores were selling dizzys that were just as bad these days.

Not knowing any better then, I went with that suggestion. Seems to work, but if there is a reason I should go back, I still have that junker distributor. What are my options, and why? Ignition module is still on the wheelwell, and DSII harness is still there.

I had asked in another thread where to get a quality DSII reman, but didn't get a good answer. Let's revisit that here, ok?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM
79F-1504x4
Senior User
HEI and DS2 are the same ignition system with different brand names. The DS2 has a few neat features like low oil pressure cutoff that make it better though.

That being said, a lack of parts trucks in yards in my area led me to a DS2/HEI hybrid. And a lack of decent DS2 remans took me to the HEI. I took three back to Autozone and refused one in the box from NAPA before I even tried it.

For 48.50 shipped I figured it was worth a shot, as detailed in my thread. If DS2 parts would have been available I would have went that route though, for simplicities sake if nothing else.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM
chrissmallwood
Junior User
LARIAT 85- Maybe its not an upgrade but its still a another option to choose from that will improve my truck compared to what it is. And I resent your statement that I would buy it for the looks.

79F-150- Thanks. I looked at your thread. Did you remove all your old wiring or did you leave it there for simplicity purposes.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:18 PM
79F-1504x4
Senior User
My truck was a DS3 EEC3 truck. I got rid of the entire harness and module when I went to the DS2/HEI.

When I put the Skip White HEI in I just used the hot in crank/run wire I had already isolated to run the other HEI module to the new distributors BATT terminal. I already had a tach wired and simply plugged that right in also. The truck fired right up, it doesnt know or care what ignitions in it as long as it has juice and fires lol.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:38 PM
chrissmallwood
Junior User
Originally Posted by 79F-1504x4
My truck was a DS3 EEC3 truck. I got rid of the entire harness and module when I went to the DS2/HEI.

When I put the Skip White HEI in I just used the hot in crank/run wire I had already isolated to run the other HEI module to the new distributors BATT terminal. I already had a tach wired and simply plugged that right in also. The truck fired right up, it doesnt know or care what ignitions in it as long as it has juice and fires lol.
Thanks. When you ran your 12v+ wire did you run it from the Ignition switch or a different source?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 PM
79F-1504x4
Senior User
Theres a hot in crank/run wire in the bundle to the module. Its red with a something stripe lol. I haven't seen it for months. Be careful as there are three red wires, one ignition hot, one constant hot, and the one you need hot in crank and run.

Most igntion 12v sources are NOT hot while cranking, to conserve power for starting. Alot of even constant hots are switched off while cranking, like the radio.

If a google search doesnt turn up the wire for you, I can check it tomarrow and get back to you.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 PM
chrissmallwood
Junior User
Thanks. Ill have to go through and check the voltages on each wire to make sure I get the right one.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:20 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Anafiel
Ok, with THAT being said, I'd like to know why it *wouldn't* be an upgrade? Reason I'm asking is, when I bought my truck, the dizzy was trashed, and the local mech suggested I do the above because (he said) the parts stores were selling dizzys that were just as bad these days...

...I had asked in another thread where to get a quality DSII reman, but didn't get a good answer. Let's revisit that here, ok?
This is one of my FAVORITE subjects...

If your distributor was trashed, then a new HEI distributor *would* be an upgrade, because now you have something that works over something that didn't. Your local mechanic was partly right though. If you get a cheap rebuilt distributor, coil, or ignition module from Advance Auto, AutoZone, or any other "McParts" store, you are basically getting junk. CarQuest or NAPA usually sells much better parts. Always try to get genuine Ford Motorcraft parts first; they are usually much better quality.

Unless your stock Duraspark system is malfunctioning, you will gain nothing by replacing it with an aftermarket HEI system. It just doesn't make sense to cut up your factory wiring to trade one ignition system for another, when the HEI is not an "upgrade." When you take away the Ford components and replace it with an HEI unit, you are still replacing the same components: distributor, ignition module, coil, cap, and rotor. The only difference is the HEI has it all piled on top of the distributor, which poses its own set of problems. In the end, all you are really doing is trading one distributor, coil, and ignition module for another. If you absolutely insist on an HEI style distributor, go with a DUI unit from Performance Distributors. It is more expensive but a much better product, and they will at least curve it to your engine specs. They also sell custom-curved stock style Duraspark distributors as well.

MSD, Mallory, Accel, ProComp, "Skip White" and all those other fancy (or just plain cheap Chinese garbage) ignition systems are certainly options if you have to get a whole new ignition system, or if you are replacing points or something like that. What I am saying is that if you replace a properly functioning Duraspark ignition system with one of the many aftermarket ignition systems, you will not notice a bit of difference. (MSD is an improvement if you are actively racing your truck or are spending a lot of time over 5,000 RPMs.)

The stock Ford Duraspark ignition system IS a High-Energy Ignition (H.E.I.) system, plus it has a few neat features that the aftermarket systems do not have. The Duraspark ignition module will actually retard the timing at start-up a few degrees to ease the load on the starter. This "start-retard" function allows for much quicker hot and cold starts than the aftermarket systems, allowing you to run your timing more advanced and higher compression without the typical "hot start" problems a performance engine will bring with it. NONE of the other ignition systems can do that.

This is why I myself decided to go with the stock Ford Duraspark ignition over the aftermarket systems a few years ago when I removed the troublesome feedback carburetor and EEC-IV/TFI ignition my '85 F150 originally came with. After all, the Duraspark ignition was good enough that Ford used it across the board on all of their vehicles for over ten years, and even AMC used it for a while in the 1980s. I kid you not; my 1985 F150 with a Motorcraft Duraspark ignition actually starts quicker than my 1998 Jeep, 1999 Taurus, or my wife's 2001 Mustang!

I have seen some members in here perform complete aftermarket ignition swaps and then rave about how much better the new system is, when in reality, their stock Duraspark system just wasn't functioning properly. What happens is when they switch out their twenty year old stock parts for brand new aftermarket parts, an improvement is noticed. They have come to the conclusion that the stock setup must have been "junk," when in reality, their stock components were just old and not functioning correctly anymore. You have to remember, your ignition has been doing its job for almost THIRTY (30) years now. If nothing else, that certainly proves its RELIABILITY. Check what you have and inspect all wiring and components to make sure your ignition system is still operating at its full potential. If it is, then know that you already have a competitive ignition system.

Parts availability is something else to consider. Where do you go for parts when you are in the middle of nowhere and your pretty billet distributor fails? You can walk into ANY parts house in ANY town and they will have parts in stock for your stock Duraspark ignition.
Not so with most aftermarket ignition systems. You may get lucky, sure, but chances are, you are going to have to ORDER the parts you need (if you can even get the separate parts without replacing the whole system) and then you are going to have to wait overnight, days, or even weeks for delivery...not very comforting when you are stranded in the middle of nowhere. Plus you are probably going to run into problems trying to diagnose a malfunctioning aftermarket system. ANY competent mechanic is going to know how to work on the stock Ford Duraspark system.

Something doesn't seem right to me when a plain, re-manufactured stock Duraspark distributor from the local parts store is about $65, yet the shiny, polished aluminum HEIs, complete with coil and module, is usually less than $60 for the whole shebang. Why is that? There is an old saying that goes something like this:

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Thank you Lariat! Great information, and I have my eye on that DuraSpark Distributor at Performance Distributors.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 AM
nolan62
Senior User
I have the DUI from Performance Distributors. My engine was missing components when I bought it. Yes it does cost more, $369. But it's a single self contained unit. No external ignition box. I dropped it right in, connected a power wire and my tach wire and set the timing that's all. It fires right up the first time every time.

I really like the fact that they build them, calibrate them and test them before they ship.

I don't like mixing parts either. That's why I didn't use the 300cid trick of installing Chevy V8 rocker arms for a 1.7 ratio. I'm not shooting down the idea of the HEI. I know Jeep guys do it and it's a popular mod for them. But I think the Duraspark or DUI are worth looking at first.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:43 AM
79F-1504x4
Senior User
The coil and module in the Skip White HEI are standard Chevy items. You can indeed buy them anywhere.

Furthermore it wouldnt surprise me at all to find that the DUI is made by the same supplier. The technology and idea is certainly the same... I have no desire to pay 320 more for the same thing but made in America. I can throw away 6 of these ebay HEIs and still be ahead of the game... But nonetheless the seller is located in Tennessee and offers a no questions lifetime warranty, according to feedback on hotrodders, the corral, and others they honor it quite well also.

I personally dont depend on my thirty year old truck for transportation so if it is junk...Im out 50 bucks, big whoop. Ive certainly spent more on dumber things lol.