Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Senior User

mudfuel06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Throttle body questions

I have a 2008 3v V10. I got a code P115E saying to replace the throttle body due to buildup on it. Ford says to replace it, one of my good friends who is probably the best mechanic I know said to take my chances and clean it. I took the intake system apart and cleaned it, wasn't too bad for 86,000 miles, but I don't think it hurt to clean it. Has anyone else had to do this on a newer truck yet? Also, when I opened the air filter up, I noticed it had a K&N filter that had absolutley no oil on it. The manifold behind the throttle body had a ton of dirt in it, could this have caused the code? I oiled the filter and am hoping this will fix the problem. Any ideas?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
I can see how dirt getting past the filter could cause problems. I would pull the intake tubes off and clean all the dirt out the best you can. I'd also clean the mass air sensor using some CRC mass air sensor cleaner. (follow directions on can) Then I'd get rid of the K&N filter and put in an OE replacement paper filter. It sounds like the area you drive your truck in is somewhat dusty or dirty and you'd be better off with a paper filter. Clear the DTC and see if the code comes back. Its actually good a code was thrown to bring this to your attention.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 PM

captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
got to back up dkf here,heave that senser fouling K&N for a stocker, clean the TB and mass air clear the faults and drive, chances are in your pocket it works,
yes i have done it many times and had it work, even in the dealeship i used to work in to prove my point to the manager.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Postmaster

Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.
as stated above, throw that POS K@N filter away and go get a new OEM Motorcraft filter.

"list of previous owned Fords much to long to list here.."
Old 01-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Senior User

Thanks for the replies. The K&N was on the truck when I bought it, believe me I wouldn't put one of them on. I'll pick up a can of the MAF cleaner and get that taken care of.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:35 AM

captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
take the TB off the motor and give it a very good cleaning, chances are there is more gunk under the plates then out side of them,plus cleaning on the motor will kind of flood the motor on start up.
clean the mass air with the proper cleaning or brake clean, use a choke and carb cleaner on the tb, for a note it took 2 cans to clean mine.

when your done for a safty net, add a bottle of chevron teckron "spelling is wrong i know" it will help keep the build ups out of the system. and is the very same product the dealer sells with the factory brand name on it. heck even harely sells it with their name on it as a fuel system cleaner.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Senior User

I cleaned the throttle body, off the truck, and cleared the codes. Drove it around for a couple of hours and the code hasn't returned, (knocking on wood). I threw a bottle of Techron in to try to keep it clean. Thanks for all of the ideas.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like your good to go.

I have a K&N filter (FIPK kit) on my 04' and have the prefilter wrap for it. When oiled properly the K&N will work fine. I've been monitoring my intake tube for dust on regular basis and I'm not seeing any. In certain conditions the K&N is ok however in some operating conditions the OE paper filter is much better. Your are not losing any noticeable power going back to a stock paper filter.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:48 PM

good point dkf! biggest problem has always been after some one cleans them and over oils it.

still i'll admit i'm a old fart and spent a lot of time in dealership shops as a mechanic. 42 years to be frank. where you say under certain conditions stock is better. is 100% correct. if i lived in a dessert or sandy road area i would sure stay stock and add a homemade foam prefilter
Old 01-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Senior User

When or if, I do an intake upgrade, I will replace the factory filter with one of the dry-flow filters. I have never been a big fan of the oiled filters, just too many horror story's of them getting over oiled and clogging up sensors. On a side note, if I get a P060C, Internal Control Module Main Processor Performance, does this mean my PCM is on it's way out or that my tuner is corrupting the file during download?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
That P060C, I'd definitely check with your tuner dealer. What brand is it?
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 01-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Senior User

It's a Bullydog GT. It worked fine on the chevy I had, but before I installed it on my Ford, I updated it. Maybe I got a bad file?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Post Fiend

I'd highly recommend getting rid of that Bully Dog tuner. They do not seem to work for squat on Fords and the threads on problems or codes with tuners usually have Bully Dog in them. You could give me one of them and there is no way in hell I would run it on my truck. I'd much rather run with the stock tune and I don't have much good to say about Fords stock tunes.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:30 PM